Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals (/Thread-Trent-Brown-signs-1-year-deal-with-the-Bengals)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Mike M (the other one) - 03-20-2024

(03-19-2024, 08:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve tried and tried to make sure everybody knows without the least bit shadow of doubt. Sheldon Rankins is now the fifth highest paid Bengal and B J Hill is sixth. They are your starting tackles. End of story. So they aren’t looking at a starter there. Doesn’t mean they don’t pick up a rotational player still in FA or the draft. Now that they have Trent Brown they can go with the BPA which was their goal ( and always heading into the draft) I wouldn’t rule out an OT, WR, DT, or CB.

Pretty much. 
BPA in the draft and play the game again next year in FA. 

These 1 year contracts can be good and/or bad but most importantly, they buy you a year to find a longer term solution.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Essex Johnson - 03-20-2024

Signing Brown seem to be a 1 year band-aid, a good band-aid but not sure it will stick for year and future. The Bengals have had overall very good success at picking oline tackles when they have had a pick in top 20 , plus this is a good RT class and odds are IF recovers and stays healthy he should be picking later in draft next year. To me all these adds up to odds still picking a RT.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - XenoMorph - 03-20-2024

can you imagine if we draft our future RT and have him with both browns on a 6 man heavy package... Put both browns on the same side and run behind it.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - JoeyB2023 - 03-20-2024

(03-19-2024, 05:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Your fellow posters feel the Bengals would whiff at OT with #18 pick. To them, they have no faith with an OL pick in round 1 regardless of when that pick is. Unless, it is their guy, then the FO is smart and make a great pick.  Sarcasm

Disagree. They look at the history and just make an educated assessment. The bengals can’t hit on or man to save their lives man. Ur too drunk on the kool aid if u can’t see that. However that doesn’t mean u stop drafting em. They just need to hit. Take Fuaga and or Latham and that should give them the bast chance at hitting. They blow these picks themselves. Carman fisher ogbuehi I mean even Whitt sure they drafted him and he played for years here at a top level but the FO thought he was gonna be done and over the hill and evaluated him completely wrong and left got a super bow ring and 3 more pro bowls. They can’t evaluate and or develop at the position consistently at all whatsoever ever. So there’s Merritt to them thinking they’ll whiff at 18. Cuz they religiously do when talking about olineman

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Essex Johnson - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: can you imagine if we draft our future RT and have him with both browns on a 6 man heavy package... Put both browns on the same side and run behind it.

I see it as more the Brown move does not change  the most pressing issue for the best sustainability of the team that is a fixture at right tackle but yes it would add to heavy package but at this time we have no true power back on the team that would make heavy more appealing

(03-20-2024, 08:38 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see it as more the Brown move does not change  the most pressing issue for the best sustainability of the team that is a fixture at right tackle but no don't it would add to heavy package but not so much since at this time we have no true power back on the team.

True but there is also the Wave of releases that always come after the draft as well if we dont find a back in the draft.

(03-19-2024, 08:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve tried and tried to make sure everybody knows without the least bit shadow of doubt. Sheldon Rankins is now the fifth highest paid Bengal and B J Hill is sixth. They are your starting tackles. End of story. So they aren’t looking at a starter there. Doesn’t mean they don’t pick up a rotational player still in FA or the draft. Now that they have Trent Brown they can go with the BPA which was their goal ( and always heading into the draft) I wouldn’t rule out an OT, WR, DT, or CB.

Then why bring in tart for a visit after? Of tart wasn’t asking for a stupid price due to leverage we sign him. Would tart not be a starter? I get what ur saying but I don’t think it’s sustainable. If sweats there guy and they take him I’d bet the hope and plan is for him to be a space filler and a starter in a rotation. I see rankins as the starter being spelled by hill. Hill was much better in an off the bench role. I think the plan was actually to sign tartt and rankins have this be the starters and spell rankins with hill. Soo idk about what u say. It’s cute when u mention the contracts but money doesn’t always force the hand. Performance will force the hand too.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Soonerpeace - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:37 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Disagree. They look at the history and just make an educated assessment. The bengals can’t hit on or man to save their lives man. Ur too drunk on the kool aid if u can’t see that. However that doesn’t mean u stop drafting em. They just need to hit. Take Fuaga and or Latham and that should give them the bast chance at hitting. They blow these picks themselves. Carman fisher ogbuehi I mean even Whitt sure they drafted him and he played for years here at a top level but the FO thought he was gonna be done and over the hill and evaluated him completely wrong and left got a super bow ring and 3 more pro bowls. They can’t evaluate and or develop at the position consistently at all whatsoever ever. So there’s Merritt to them thinking they’ll whiff at 18. Cuz they religiously do when talking about olineman

(03-20-2024, 08:38 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see it as more the Brown move does not change  the most pressing issue for the best sustainability of the team that is a fixture at right tackle but yes it would add to heavy package but at this time we have no true power back on the team that would make heavy more appealing

The Bengals after they got to a solid roster level always try to position themselves where they don’t have any dire position needs, creating draft flexibility. With Brown they continued that. I’d expect they figured we have only a one year exposure and we roll the dice on his health. I think they still draft a RT but if a corner,WR, or TE they really like falls to them they can. They need to nail this draft because they have some holes coming everywhere soon in FA.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - SunsetBengal - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:37 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Disagree.  They look at the history and just make an educated assessment.  The bengals can’t hit on or man to save their lives man.  Ur too drunk on the kool aid if u can’t see that.  However that doesn’t mean u stop drafting em.  They just need to hit.  Take Fuaga and or Latham and that should give them the bast chance at hitting.  They blow these picks themselves.  Carman fisher ogbuehi I mean even Whitt sure they drafted him and he played for years here at a top level but the FO thought he was gonna be done and over the hill and evaluated him completely wrong and left got a super bow ring and 3 more pro bowls.  They can’t evaluate and or develop at the position consistently at all whatsoever ever.  So there’s Merritt to them thinking they’ll whiff at 18.  Cuz they religiously do when talking about olineman

I'm pretty sure that the Whitworth decision was a financial one, as the team could not afford to keep paying him top level money with all of the other players having contracts coming up the following year.

(03-20-2024, 08:45 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Then why bring in tart for a visit after? Of tart wasn’t asking for a stupid price due to leverage we sign him. Would tart not be a starter? I get what ur saying but I don’t think it’s sustainable. If sweats there guy and they take him I’d bet the hope and plan is for him to be a space filler and a starter in a rotation. I see rankins as the starter being spelled by hill. Hill was much better in an off the bench role. I think the plan was actually to sign tartt and rankins have this be the starters and spell rankins with hill. Soo idk about what u say. It’s cute when u mention the contracts but money doesn’t always force the hand. Performance will force the hand too.

Cute lol. It’s common sense. The Bengals money decisions rule this franchise. Surely you agree? Sure Hill could get beat out. My point is at 13 million they plan to start Rankins. Hill I don’t see being demoted. Possible. Tart is not being looked at anymore here. He was being looked at as a situational player. Your DT starters are Rankins and Hill.

(03-20-2024, 09:15 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Cute lol. It’s common sense. The Bengals money decisions rule this franchise. Surely you agree? Sure Hill could get beat out. My point is at 13 million they plan to start Rankins. Hill I don’t see being demoted. Possible. Tart is not being looked at anymore here. He was being looked at as a situational player. Your DT starters are Rankins and Hill.

Hill has always been a better situation rotational piece which is why I believe they brought Rankins in. To fill the starter role putting hill back to his relieve role where he was much better spelling the starter. Tartt with his run stopping ability wouldve been surely to take Readers spot/Role. If McKinnley Jackson were to brought in it would be to eventually fill Readers role. Ur calling hill the starter right now cuz of contracts when that’s not the case at all right now hill the starter do to lack of personnel. If tartt were to be brought in or they select sweat or Jackson it would be to fill Readers role/spot.

(03-20-2024, 09:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm pretty sure that the Whitworth decision was a financial one, as the team could not afford to keep paying him top level money with all of the other players having contracts coming up the following year.

No they thought he was done therefor they didn’t pay him his worth. We had no left tackle option at a premium position and you have an all pro and u let him walk cuz u don’t wanna pay him lol no it’s cuz u thought his age and wear and tear didn’t match the value THEY had for him. Well THEY were wrong and he’s got a ring to prove it ironically against the team that said he ain’t worth it. Another poor judgment call by our staff in regards to the offensive line

(03-20-2024, 10:40 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: No they thought he was done therefor they didn’t pay him his worth.  We had no left tackle option at a premium position and you have an all pro and u let him walk cuz u don’t wanna pay him lol no it’s cuz u thought his age and wear and tear didn’t match the value THEY had for him.  Well THEY were wrong and he’s got a ring to prove it ironically against the team that said he ain’t worth it.  Another poor judgment call by our staff in regards to the offensive line

We had just drafted an OT in the first round to take over the position some times you gotta role with your draft picks

Hindsight isn't a super power or very impressive

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Stewy - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 10:40 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: No they thought he was done therefor they didn’t pay him his worth.  We had no left tackle option at a premium position and you have an all pro and u let him walk cuz u don’t wanna pay him lol no it’s cuz u thought his age and wear and tear didn’t match the value THEY had for him.  Well THEY were wrong and he’s got a ring to prove it ironically against the team that said he ain’t worth it.  Another poor judgment call by our staff in regards to the offensive line

Wow - how quickly we forget.  Whit was mid-thirties and had an injury history.  At the time a LT playing past that age was UNHEARDOF, and the Rams OVERPAID him by every measure and judgement on the market.  At the time, on these very forums, the fans almost universally were positive toward our FO to not sign Whit to that deal and almost universally no one here blamed them for not doing so.  It was so over the top for the, then, market conditions, that the FO would have been blasted for making that deal.

Using hindsight to make your arguments is not compelling or attractive.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Frank Booth - 03-20-2024

I don’t think whit had an injury history. He was beyond durable

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Mike M (the other one) - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: True but there is also the Wave of releases that always come after the draft as well if we dont find a back in the draft.

and backups at other positions based on the draft as well. CB/OL/DL etc. Just depends on who we get in the draft. 

(03-20-2024, 10:38 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Hill has always been a better situation rotational piece which is why I believe they brought Rankins in. To fill the starter role putting hill back to his relieve role where he was much better spelling the starter. Tartt with his run stopping ability wouldve been surely to take Readers spot/Role. If McKinnley Jackson were to brought in it would be to eventually fill Readers role. Ur calling hill the starter right now cuz of contracts when that’s not the case at all right now hill the starter do to lack of personnel. If tartt were to be brought in or they select sweat or Jackson it would be to fill Readers role/spot.

Hill has started 33-33 games the last 2 years. Sorry my man I’m not even remotely in agreement. B J had 2 INT 5 pass deflections 21 QB hits 1 fumble recovery 4.5 sacks last year. Compare that to Rankins I’ll hang up and listen.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - TheLeonardLeap - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 01:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Damn 2 inches taller but 17lbs lighter than Zay Flowers

1" taller but nearly 25lbs lighter than John Ross. He is so thin.

Same 8.75" hands as Ross.

(03-20-2024, 12:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1" taller but nearly 25lbs lighter than John Ross. He is so thin.

Same 8.75" hands as Ross.

It doesn't make for good showing to compare a WR to Ross in any way.. Let that particular piece of history DIE!

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - TheLeonardLeap - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 11:25 AM)Stewy Wrote: Wow - how quickly we forget.  Whit was mid-thirties and had an injury history.  At the time a LT playing past that age was UNHEARDOF, and the Rams OVERPAID him by every measure and judgement on the market.  At the time, on these very forums, the fans almost universally were positive toward our FO to not sign Whit to that deal and almost universally no one here blamed them for not doing so.  It was so over the top for the, then, market conditions, that the FO would have been blasted for making that deal.

Using hindsight to make your arguments is not compelling or attractive.

Whit only missed games in 2 of his 11 seasons with the Bengals, totally just 8 games in those 11 years. A ton of players get offseason surgeries, but if you're not missing games, and you're not playing like hot trash because of them, you're still very very durable.

His last 3 years with the Bengals he was a 2nd Team All-Pro, 1st Team All-Pro, and Pro Bowler and didn't miss a single game.

People VASTLY overuse, and often misuse the word "hindsight".