Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals (/Thread-Trent-Brown-signs-1-year-deal-with-the-Bengals)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - PCB Bengal Fan - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 10:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We had just drafted an OT in the first round to take over the position some times you gotta role with your draft picks

Hindsight isn't a super power or very impressive

How many fans were okay with the Bengals not tagging Whitworth? He was the team leader & they let him walk for a bust. Whitworth should've never left. It's not hindsight, he was still playing at an all pro level when they let him walk. The line has been sh!t since.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - PCB Bengal Fan - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 11:25 AM)Stewy Wrote: Wow - how quickly we forget.  Whit was mid-thirties and had an injury history.  At the time a LT playing past that age was UNHEARDOF, and the Rams OVERPAID him by every measure and judgement on the market.  At the time, on these very forums, the fans almost universally were positive toward our FO to not sign Whit to that deal and almost universally no one here blamed them for not doing so.  It was so over the top for the, then, market conditions, that the FO would have been blasted for making that deal.

Using hindsight to make your arguments is not compelling or attractive.

Not hindsight, they should've tagged him coming off an all pro season. I don't remember people being happy to let him walk. I was'nt 1 of them. Also it was'nt a huge deal it was the years.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - bfine32 - 03-20-2024

I have 0 idea why folks are not happy w/ this signing. We needed a RT and got the best one available.

I'm sure the team has some Olinemen on their big-board and if one of their choosing is there at 18 they'll pull the trigger.

If not we'll go BPA at another thin position.

All this pick does is give us a high-quality RT on the roster.

Do folks realize one of the reasons he missed time is NE almost killed him giving him an IV?

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - CottonHill - 03-20-2024

No two ways about it, this is a good signing. As long as he is healthy hes an upgrade at RT and solidifies the line.....yes we would all love to upgrade Volsons spot. This allows some freedom in the draft. I still feel like we either go best OT or DT available.
I am not very good at scouting OTs so not sure how i would rate those guys but I want either J Newton, Bowers, Arnold, or Thomas the wr if any of them make it here. I know Newton isnt a nose but i feel he has a chance to be a franchise guy on the interior.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - SunsetBengal - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 12:59 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: How many fans were okay with the Bengals not tagging Whitworth? He was the team leader & they let him walk for a bust. Whitworth should've never left. It's not hindsight, he was still playing at an all pro level when they let him walk. The line has been sh!t since.

Agreed, I was one of the loudest critics of letting Whitworth go.  People told me that I should calm down, because we had Cedric Ogbuehi, our 'Tackle of the future' on the team. Same thing last year when I threw a fit over Bates and Bell being allowed to walk. People said 'relax, Dax Hill is our Safety of the future'... Rolleyes

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - casear2727 - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:45 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Then why bring in tart for a visit after?  Of tart wasn’t asking for a stupid price due to leverage we sign him.  Would tart not be a starter?   I get what ur saying but I don’t think it’s sustainable.  If sweats there guy and they take him I’d bet the hope and plan is for him to be a space filler and a starter in a rotation.  I see rankins as the starter being spelled by hill.  Hill was much better in an off the bench role.  I think the plan was actually to sign tartt and rankins have this be the starters and spell rankins with hill.  Soo idk about what u say.  It’s cute when u mention the contracts but money doesn’t always force the hand.  Performance will force the hand too.

Tart does not have to start if he signs. He is needed more in those 5-2 scenarios.  BJ Hill actually played better than Larry O overall and that is why they chose him to be extended.

Now feel free to respond with your "GTFO", "drunk on the kool aid", and "it's cute" comments, because each time you do you lose credibility. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - casear2727 - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 08:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: True but there is also the Wave of releases that always come after the draft as well if we dont find a back in the draft.

Trent is not as great of a run blocker as you would expect, he utilizes his size and length for pass blocking at an extremely high level, but not a mauler in the run game.  He is especially suspect in the counter trey.  This is the excellent block Adeniji made vs the Bills in the playoff game, Trent is not doing that, his second level agility has decreased some.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Sled21 - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 12:59 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: How many fans were okay with the Bengals not tagging Whitworth? He was the team leader & they let him walk for a bust. Whitworth should've never left. It's not hindsight, he was still playing at an all pro level when they let him walk. The line has been sh!t since.

I'm ok with it, it was the right decision at the time, and would probably be the right decision if made again. Whitworth just beat Father time longer than anyone thought he would. He was an outlier. So anyone saying they should not have let him go is using hindsight.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have 0 idea why folks are not happy w/ this signing. We needed a RT and got the best one available.

I'm sure the team has some Olinemen on their big-board and if one of their choosing is there at 18 they'll pull the trigger.

If not we'll go BPA at another thin position.

All this pick does is give us a high-quality RT on the roster.

Do folks realize one of the reasons he missed time is NE almost killed him giving him an IV?

Very happy with the Trent Brown signing. Didn't know about the IV in New England...

Details?

(03-20-2024, 01:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, I was one of the loudest critics of letting Whitworth go.  People told me that I should calm down, because we had Cedric Ogbuehi, our 'Tackle of the future' on the team. Same thing last year when I threw a fit over Bates and Bell being allowed to walk. People said 'relax, Dax Hill is our Safety of the future'... Rolleyes

Maybe folks were just telling you to calm down because you needed to calm down..

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 01:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, I was one of the loudest critics of letting Whitworth go.  People told me that I should calm down, because we had Cedric Ogbuehi, our 'Tackle of the future' on the team. Same thing last year when I threw a fit over Bates and Bell being allowed to walk. People said 'relax, Dax Hill is our Safety of the future'... Rolleyes

I wasn't okay letting Whit go either, but I was one of the guys telling you to relax as we had Dax for the future lol

Still think Dax will be a very good player for us in the Secondary, but evidently not at Free Safety. Bates was leaving, was not an option 
in keeping him. Nice having Geno Stone here who was a top cover Safety last year and a ballhawk. Remember Bates was not the best 
run stopping Safety.

Losing Vonn Bell blew everybody's minds including the coaches. Happy to have him back.

(03-20-2024, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very happy with the Trent Brown signing. Didn't know about the IV in New England...

Details?

I misspoke he was actually at OAK when the incident occurred. 
Patriots OL Trent Brown: 'I almost died' during IV issue last season (nfl.com)

"According to Brown, he nearly went into cardiac arrest at the time. Air was accidentally introduced into his bloodstream with a pre-game IV, and he was hospitalized for three days beginning on Nov. 1, 2020."

(03-20-2024, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I misspoke he was actually at OAK when the incident occurred. 
Patriots OL Trent Brown: 'I almost died' during IV issue last season (nfl.com)

"According to Brown, he nearly went into cardiac arrest at the time. Air was accidentally introduced into his bloodstream with a pre-game IV, and he was hospitalized for three days beginning on Nov. 1, 2020."

Whoa, scary.  Mellow

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - jj22 - 03-20-2024

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Stewy - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 12:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Whit only missed games in 2 of his 11 seasons with the Bengals, totally just 8 games in those 11 years. A ton of players get offseason surgeries, but if you're not missing games, and you're not playing like hot trash because of them, you're still very very durable.

His last 3 years with the Bengals he was a 2nd Team All-Pro, 1st Team All-Pro, and Pro Bowler and didn't miss a single game.

People VASTLY overuse, and often misuse the word "hindsight".

And everyone of my point still stands while you quote statistics.  Everything i said, about his longevity vs normal, his contract and age vs. normal and how our FO handled it is still 100% true.  There were no signs that Whit could would should defy the odds and play at a probowl level to nearly 40.  

And the Rams completely over paid based upon the market for his age and ability.  It worked out for them.  They and Whit beat the odds, but that does not mean our FO did wrong or behaved in a poor manner. 

And how easily we forget, or is it omission to help your argument, that Whit rarely played in pre-season, always getting veteran time off during the year because he was always nursing a knee or back or something.  Let's not pretend he was friggin superman.  The FO and the league had evidence for obvious concern to give him a 3 year contract at that price.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Stewy - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 01:02 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Not hindsight, they should've tagged him coming off an all pro season. I don't remember people being happy to let him walk. I wasn't 1 of them. Also it wasn't a huge deal it was the years.

yes it is hindsight.  Were you even here?  Do you remember the details?  Obviously not.  

The Bengals made Whit more than a fair two year offer, which was outside what someone his age should be making, and the Rams not only offered a little more per year but added a 3rd year to it.

It is absolutely hindsight because the Bengals were acting responsibly giving Whit a VERY GOOD Contract and the Rams came in and blew it away.

Good lord you people have biased selective memory.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - masonbengals fan - 03-20-2024

I think they hit a homerun with the Trent Brown signing.

Clearly opens up the draft & I'm not against drafting another tackle.

Team just has to remain healthy.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - TheLeonardLeap - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 03:10 PM)Stewy Wrote: And everyone of my point still stands while you quote statistics.  Everything i said, about his longevity vs normal, his contract and age vs. normal and how our FO handled it is still 100% true.  There were no signs that Whit could would should defy the odds and play at a probowl level to nearly 40.  

And the Rams completely over paid based upon the market for his age and ability.  It worked out for them.  They and Whit beat the odds, but that does not mean our FO did wrong or behaved in a poor manner. 

And how easily we forget, or is it omission to help your argument, that Whit rarely played in pre-season, always getting veteran time off during the year because he was always nursing a knee or back or something.  Let's not pretend he was friggin superman.  The FO and the league had evidence for obvious concern to give him a 3 year contract at that price.

There were plenty of signs that Whit could defy the odds, he was 1st Team All-Pro as a 36-year-old. He clearly was going to be able to play at least 2 more years as the 3 year deal had an fully unguaranteed year 3. When he was at such a high peak at the time that even if he took a step back he would have still been massively above average.

Also your whole "hindsight" false argument (there were a lot who thought it was dumb to let him go at the time) forgot that their replacement plan for Whit at LT was CEDRIC OGBUEHI who was probably the worst intended starting OL I think I had ever seen the previous two years.

Overpaid for ability? Age you could MAYBE get a bit of an edge in because he was indeed old, but the second you mention ability, you are just objectively wrong. He was an All-Pro and playing at an incredibly high level of ability.

Who cares if he got Wednesdays off practice for being a vet if he suited up and played at a high level every game? That's very common around the league for great vets. Every player is nursing something or another throughout the season. He didn't miss games and he performed at a high level.

- - - - - -

It's just funny that you started this by saying people forgot history, but you're outright changing history by framing Whit as a guy with extensive injury and and ability questions? Dude was an All-Pro who had missed 2 games in his last 8 years as a Bengal.

The Bengals just drafted Ogbuehi who was clearly a bust but they refused to accept it and felt compelled to start him in order to try to justify the picks they made instead of drafting other players to push to get a SB when they already had Whit.

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - Luvnit2 - 03-20-2024

(03-20-2024, 03:16 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I think they hit a homerun with the Trent Brown signing.

Clearly opens up the draft & I'm not against drafting another tackle.

Team just has to remain healthy.

I agree and would add this applies to any team. Teams have better depth at some positions than others, the key is to not have injuries (all teams will have injuries unless very lucky) in positions of poor depth. I look at our roster and I see a lot of experience. Fans can chastise Carmen, but he has game experience. Our safety room is extremely deep not even considering Anderson who was hurt in 2023. 

We have 2 QB's who have proven they can win games. If we are done with FA, I don't think we are, I would be happy with the roster and heading into a draft with 10 picks including 4 within top 100 picks. 

RE: Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals - XenoMorph - 03-20-2024

you understand we fans dont control the team correct?