Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
PnR Decorum and suspensions - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: PnR Decorum and suspensions (/Thread-PnR-Decorum-and-suspensions)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - StLucieBengal - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 11:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Both of them post a lot in JN.  I think that is where most of the top posters get their numbers from.

But they are also both prolific in PnR.  Fred with responses and Lucie with starting threads.  

Edit: Wow. I didn't see about Fred.

I probably post more here. I enjoy the crowd on this forum for the most part.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - michaelsean - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 11:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Both of them post a lot in JN.  I think that is where most of the top posters get their numbers from.

But they are also both prolific in PnR.  Fred with responses and Lucie with starting threads.  

Edit: Wow.  I didn't see about Fred.

Oh yeah.  Forgot when you get sent to minimum security prison you can still post in the other forums.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 10:31 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Out of curiosity, how many suspensions and bannings do we get before it becomes permanent?

It seems that they are put in place to help a person get a little bit of time to think about correcting their problem behavior.  If they refuse to ever do so, even after more than a handful of bannings, then what is the point?

Long term or permanent suspensions or bans are considered on a member-by-member basis and involve input from all of the Mods/Admins before a consensus is reached. Put simply, we don't take the decision lightly and, unless there is a particularly egregious or crass incident, the decision usually has to do with history and trends (i.e. repeated suspensions).

You are correct. We view suspensions as corrective measures rather than as discipline. I speak for every mod and admin here when I say that we genuinely do not want to ban anyone. We would actually like to see the place grow more. We prefer to be able to forgive and forget.

Our hope is that by using a suspension, we can pull an errant member from the environment for a short time to calm them and the other posters and to give them time to reflect on better ways to make their points that are within the board guidelines. Unfortunately, some people are not able to do that. If that is the case, we have to make a decision based upon the needs of the board.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Johnny Cupcakes - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 02:05 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Long term or permanent suspensions or bans are considered on a member-by-member basis and involve input from all of the Mods/Admins before a consensus is reached. Put simply, we don't take the decision lightly and, unless there is a particularly egregious or crass incident, the decision usually has to do with history and trends (i.e. repeated suspensions).

You are correct. We view suspensions as corrective measures rather than as discipline. I speak for every mod and admin here when I say that we genuinely do not want to ban anyone. We would actually like to see the place grow more. We prefer to be able to forgive and forget.

Our hope is that by using a suspension, we can pull an errant member from the environment for a short time to calm them and the other posters and to give them time to reflect on better ways to make their points that are within the board guidelines. Unfortunately, some people are not able to do that. If that is the case, we have to make a decision based upon the needs of the board.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to drop the banhammer with my inquiry there, I was just curious based on the posting/infraction history of a poster or two. I'm actually glad that the goal is to keep people around.  Rehabilitation and reintegration is the way to go.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Bengalzona - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 03:01 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm not trying to persuade anyone to drop the banhammer with my inquiry there, I was just curious based on the posting/infraction history of a poster or two. I'm actually glad that the goal is to keep people around.  Rehabilitation and reintegration is the way to go.

I know you didn't have that in mind.

It's all good, brother. ThumbsUp

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - BmorePat87 - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 03:01 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm not trying to persuade anyone to drop the banhammer with my inquiry there, I was just curious based on the posting/infraction history of a poster or two. I'm actually glad that the goal is to keep people around.  Rehabilitation and reintegration is the way to go.

I wanna know the recidivism rates

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - BengalHawk62 - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 03:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I wanna know the recidivism rates

I wanna know what recidivism means?

ps. found it- Recidivism is the act of a person repeating an undesirable behavior after they have either experienced negative consequences of that behavior, or have been trained to extinguish that behavior. Wikipedia

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Belsnickel - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 04:08 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I wanna know what recidivism means?

ps. found it- Recidivism is the act of a person repeating an undesirable behavior after they have either experienced negative consequences of that behavior, or have been trained to extinguish that behavior. Wikipedia

Yeah, we use it in social sciences to determine the effectiveness of justice programs.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Dill - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 01:01 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I probably post more here.   I enjoy the crowd on this forum for the most part.

Truth be told, Lucy, I miss you and Fred when you guys are suspended.

Whatever you are doing to get suspended. Stop. We need you both to keep the discussion diverse and balanced.

Also, I am always surprised to hear you are suspended. You have always been civil with me. No personal abuse. etc. Even though we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

(01-31-2018, 04:43 PM)Dill Wrote: Truth be told, Lucy, I miss you and Fred when you guys are suspended.

Whatever you are doing to get suspended. Stop. We need you both to keep the discussion diverse and balanced.

Also, I am always surprised to hear you are suspended. You have always been civil with me. No personal abuse. etc. Even though we are at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

I get a little more heated with Lucie, and there are times where I just have to take a break from responding to him, but I agree that the board is lacking when those two aren't around.

(01-31-2018, 04:43 PM)Dill Wrote: Truth be told, Lucy, I miss you and Fred when you guys are suspended.

EDIT: if this post breaks some CoC then pls just delete it. I was just tying to say thank you to Dill and give some context. Since I am uniquely qualified

Thank you Dill.

In the past I have been suspended appropriately for pushing the limits. I have sussed a few things out that explained a lot as to why some things got the reactions it did. I wish I had figured it out earlier as it would have changed my approach on a couple of topics. And probably the heat on the board overall would be turned down.

A lot of my suspensions since the fall are for things like both sides need to cool down, when someone gets upset at a post or comment of mine. And then we have some outliers that are just oddballs.

I will say that overall the mods are fair and are willing to speak with you so you can correct the issue. Which I have on quite a few occasions, also gotten several pm’s letting me know if I was getting close to the line. This is wonderful because it allows us all to keep the discussion going. Communication is important in ohs forum because so many people claim to be offended by so much it makes it hard to both moderate and Post. Especially when you post outside the canned statndard liberal line of thought as I do.

Moderating is tough because most liberals probably find most of my posts ban worthy. I always thought a good rule of thumb was always how people from your side felt about your post. This takes the emotion out of it. Having some more conservative/libertarian mods certainly help since they are active in the forum.

(01-31-2018, 05:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get a little more heated with Lucie, and there are times where I just have to take a break from responding to him, but I agree that the board is lacking when those two aren't around.

I enjoy our back and forth. I also need a break from you guys as well sometimes. lol. You, Dill, and couple others always are fun to go back and forth with usually and I think that it stems from the ability of us to agree to disagree.

(01-31-2018, 05:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I enjoy our back and forth. I also need a break from you guys as well sometimes. lol. You, Dill, and couple others always are fun to go back and forth with usually and I think that it stems from the ability of us to agree to disagree.

Yeah, I am trying hard to just recognize which posts of yours get me more fired up than I should be, and then not responding to them. Those are the ones that usually take me down a rabbit hole I shouldn't go.

(01-31-2018, 05:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I am trying hard to just recognize which posts of yours get me more fired up than I should be, and then not responding to them. Those are the ones that usually take me down a rabbit hole I shouldn't go.

You have actually helped me understand quite a few things on here and helped me suss out where I may have taken things too far for some on here. You were the lone person willing to at least let me know so I could change some behavior. I appreciate and respect that you did those things. It would certainly have been easier to just not say anything.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Nebuchadnezzar - 01-31-2018

Get a room guys, seriously, just get a room already.

I'm amazed there isn't tears and snot in beards with all the feelings floating around.

(01-31-2018, 05:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You have actually helped me understand quite a few things on here and helped me suss out where I may have taken things too far for some on here. You were the lone person willing to at least let me know so I could change some behavior. I appreciate and respect that you did those things. It would certainly have been easier to just not say anything.

I won't say empathy will solve all of the world's problems, but it can certainly help a lot. One of the things we don't do enough of in the world is listen to the perspective of others with the intention of understanding. Why do you think I read some of the conservative media sources I do? I want to understand their views. I may not agree with them on most things, but understanding the viewpoint of someone else helps you see them more as a person and means you end up interacting with them in that way.

There has been a movement in politics to weaponize language. Look up Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo about language and you will see what it is I mean. The words used in the political discourse are chosen for maximum effect to otherize the opposing side. This does nothing but make it easier to see the person you disagree with as less than you. That memo kicked off an arms race between the two parties that has divided this nation in, I fear, irreparable ways.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Dill - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 05:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get a little more heated with Lucie, and there are times where I just have to take a break from responding to him, but I agree that the board is lacking when those two aren't around.

I don't recall getting heated with anyone, but I do get awesomely, jaw-droppingly surprised at least one a week.  If some post seems beyond argument, I turn to parody.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - SunsetBengal - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 05:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I enjoy our back and forth.   I also need a break from you guys as well sometimes.  lol.  You, Dill, and couple others always are fun to go back and forth with usually and I think that it stems from the ability of us to agree to disagree.

The three of you should move to conference room B, and proceed with your group hug.   Tongue

(01-31-2018, 05:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I won't say empathy will solve all of the world's problems, but it can certainly help a lot. One of the things we don't do enough of in the world is listen to the perspective of others with the intention of understanding. Why do you think I read some of the conservative media sources I do? I want to understand their views. I may not agree with them on most things, but understanding the viewpoint of someone else helps you see them more as a person and means you end up interacting with them in that way.

There has been a movement in politics to weaponize language. Look up Newt Gingrich's 1996 GOPAC memo about language and you will see what it is I mean. The words used in the political discourse are chosen for maximum effect to otherize the opposing side. This does nothing but make it easier to see the person you disagree with as less than you. That memo kicked off an arms race between the two parties that has divided this nation in, I fear, irreparable ways.

A lot of times it just comes down to how we all speak in our daily setting. Clearly my work environment is a lot more matter of fact and direct than yours or others. I have a very low filter and without I doubt it’s surprising to others unless you are in our group. I hate to describe it this way but it’s a locker room mentality. Just a place where no one gets upset unless you talk about their wife or children. That’s about the only line we draw. Unless someone has a big secret or issue that messes with their head. We leave that be and just cut them a break.

RE: PnR Decorum and suspensions - Vas Deferens - 01-31-2018

(01-31-2018, 07:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A lot of times it just comes down to how we all speak in our daily setting.  Clearly my work environment is a lot more matter of fact and direct than yours or others. I have a very low filter and without I doubt it’s surprising to others unless you are in our group. I hate to describe it this way but it’s a locker room mentality.   Just a place where no one gets upset unless you talk about their wife or children.   That’s about the only line we draw. Unless someone has a big secret or issue that messes with their head.   We leave that be and just cut them a break.

convenient.