Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him (/Thread-How-Kasich-s-Religion-is-Hurting-Him)

Pages: 1 2 3

How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - Belsnickel - 03-18-2016

This was a very interesting article that came up on reddit for me and I thought I would share.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/john-kasich-2016-religion-213735?paginate=false

Quote:The Republican nomination can sometimes seem like a contest to see which candidate is most religious. Ted Cruz touts his born-again faith, and he recalls how he “surrendered his heart to Jesus” as an 8-year-old at summer camp. Marco Rubio, who has at different times embraced Catholicism, Mormonism and evangelicalism, says his faith is the “single greatest influence in my life.” Donald Trump, by all appearances, has never attended church regularly and claims that he has never even asked God for forgiveness, but he nonetheless speaks about American Christians as though they’re a persecuted minority and has earned the widespread support of evangelicals.

There’s good reason to believe, however, that the most religiously driven candidate of all is a man who is remarkably un-theatrical about his beliefs—who even vows, “I don’t go out and try to win a vote by using God. I think that cheapens God.” That would be John Kasich.

The article goes on from there. I know some on here may know about this seeing as there are a lot of Ohioans about, and I'm not sitting here saying I agree with Kasich's faith positions (my denomination would be more in line with the Episcopal Church from which his denomination split, ELCA and Episcopalians are buddies) or his use of them in government, but it's just an interesting article about the man clinging on still in a fight against two giants in the GOP.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - fredtoast - 03-18-2016

Before this whole mess started I predicted Kasich would be the Rep candidate. I always felt he was their best chance at winning the general election.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - Benton - 03-18-2016

Is it that surprising? Many Christians are Cruz-esque Christians. They're loud about it. They tell you about it, not in the context of being an example, but just how they interpret how you're supposed to live. They point out how great it is being a Christian... then go and do some very un-Christian like things.

Saying you're planning on carpet bombing people or making fun of people or half the stuff Cruz does doesn't live that life.

I don't think Kasich has much of a chance, but if he does get evangelical support, he could pull ahead in a brokered convention.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - GMDino - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 09:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This was a very interesting article that came up on reddit for me and I thought I would share.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/john-kasich-2016-religion-213735?paginate=false

The article goes on from there. I know some on here may know about this seeing as there are a lot of Ohioans about, and I'm not sitting here saying I agree with Kasich's faith positions (my denomination would be more in line with the Episcopal Church from which his denomination split, ELCA and Episcopalians are buddies) or his use of them in government, but it's just an interesting article about the man clinging on still in a fight against two giants in the GOP.

He's probably the only normal person in this entire circus.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - michaelsean - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's probably the only normal person in this entire circus.

Yeah because normal people drop 100 tons of confetti after winning  1 of 5 states.

(03-18-2016, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah because normal people drop 100 tons of confetti after winning  1 of 5 states.

Yeah, right.  No other candidate has ever celebrated winning a primary.  I have never seen that ever.

Rolleyes

(03-18-2016, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  No other candidate has ever celebrated winning a primary.  I have never seen that ever.

Rolleyes

For winning one state on a five state night and one state total, and being essentially mathematically eliminated?

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - NATI BENGALS - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 12:13 PM)GMDino Wrote: He's probably the only normal person in this entire circus.

Thats the scary part. A Fox News host. Who would have thought 4 years ago a Fox News host would be the Repubs most normal candidate in a presidential election.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - CageTheBengal - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 01:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah because normal people drop 100 tons of confetti after winning  1 of 5 states.

If you need a reason to enjoy confetti then you're not normal.

(03-18-2016, 02:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: For winning one state on a five state night and one state total, and being essentially mathematically eliminated?

Let me make this easy for you.

Show me a list of candidates who won primaries but did not celebrate.

I'll wait.

(03-18-2016, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Let me make this easy for you.

Show me a list of candidates who won primaries but did not celebrate.

I'll wait.

A single primary halfway through?    I was kind of embarrassed I voted for him after that.

(03-18-2016, 02:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A single primary halfway through?    I was kind of embarrassed I voted for him after that.

Any primary win any time.

I'll wait.

(03-18-2016, 03:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Any primary win any time.

I'll wait.

Ummm...OK.  Go ahead and wait.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - 6andcounting - 03-18-2016

Why does the author sound surprised that Trump never asked himself for forgiveness?

(03-18-2016, 03:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ummm...OK.  Go ahead and wait.

Funny, but when you made such a big deal about him doing it I assumed you might be talking about something from past experience instead of just repeating meaningless rhetoric because you didn't know any better.

But I am not really that surprised.

(03-18-2016, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny, but when you made such a big deal about him doing it I assumed you might be talking about something from past experience instead of just repeating meaningless rhetoric because you didn't know any better.

But I am not really that surprised.

What?  I voted for the guy.  Why would I use rhetoric?  That doesn't mean I don't think giant confetti droppings aren't ridiculous when you are completely out of the race and just lost 80% of the states that day.

But actually since I didn't say it never  happened, and you said it happens every time, I guess you need to prove it.  So I'm going to need video of every primary winner for every state for say the last 2 presidential elections. Time to prove your claim.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - 6andcounting - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Before this whole mess started I predicted Kasich would be the Rep candidate. I always felt he was their best chance at winning the general election.
Last time I saw he was polling the best against Clinton in a general election. But acting normal, with moderate political views and practicing a traditional religion without announcing it is too boring to fly this election cycle. He'll probably be the VP if he doesn't double down on his attacks of Trump from last weekend.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - GMDino - 03-18-2016

(03-18-2016, 03:53 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Last time I saw he was polling the best against Clinton in a general election. But acting normal, with moderate political views and practicing a traditional religion without announcing it is too boring to fly this election cycle. He'll probably be the VP if he doesn't double down on his attacks of Trump from last weekend.

Bingo.

That's what I meant by "normal".  He's still a politician...and he's still running for president..but compared to the rest of the field he's amazingly normal.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - StLucieBengal - 03-20-2016

Kasich's religion isn't his Issue. It's the progressive democrat policies he is running his campaign. Amnesty in the first 100 days lol. This guy is a joke.

RE: How Kasich's Religion is Hurting Him - GMDino - 03-20-2016

(03-20-2016, 12:47 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kasich's religion isn't his Issue.   It's the progressive democrat policies he is running his campaign.     Amnesty in the first 100 days lol.   This guy is a joke.

That phrase has been bandied about for a week.  Let's look at what he said:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/14/john-kasich-defends-immigration-stance-ohio-rally/

Quote:NORTH CANTON, Ohio — Gov. John Kasich defended Monday his support of an immigration overhaul that includes the legalization of nonviolent illegal immigrants, telling supporters on the eve of the Ohio primary that it is unrealistic to think that the federal government is going to boot illegal immigrants out of the country.

The issue of illegal immigration has been a dividing line in the GOP presidential campaign, including here in Ohio, where businessmanDonald Trump has vowed to finish the fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border and make the Mexican government pay for it, and promised to make people living in the country illegally to return to their country of origin before they get a chance to enter the country legally.

During a question-and-answer session, Mr. Kasich was asked to explain how he could support legalizing illegal immigrants working in the United States when they likely have either evaded taxes or fraudulently obtained a Social Security number.

“It seems it is intrinsically impossible for illegal immigrants to be crime-free and it seems your path to legal status for them is an empty gesture,” the questioner asked. “Please tell me how I am wrong.”

With 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in tow, Mr. Kasichpushed back.

“First of all, I think we would rather have people who came being able to earn a living, OK,” Mr. Kasich said. “I think most people would feel that way — maybe you don’t, but I do.”

Mr. Kasich said that criminal illegal immigrants should be deported, but others would be allowed to stay.

“Here is the fact, you don’t actually think folks that we are going to drive around in Canton, Ohio, and yank people out of their homes and ship them to Mexico, leaving their kids on their front porch? You really think that is going to happen?” Mr. Kasich said, sparking a response of “No!” from the crowd. “Of course it is not going to happen. So I am trying to come up with the best way. It is called common sense.”

Mr. Kasich
 is locked in a tough battle with Mr. Trump in Ohio ahead of the primary here on Tuesday.