Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
“Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron (/Thread-%E2%80%9CWives-Should-Respect-Husbands-Not-Tell-Them-How-to-Be-Better%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%93-Kirk-Cameron)

Pages: 1 2

“Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 04-30-2016

Quote:Taking a moment away from his Love Worth Fighting For national tour on Christian marriage, actor-turned- evangelist Kirk Cameron told The Christian Post. this week:

Quote:[Image: kirk-cameron-and-wife-150x150.jpg]
(Photo:http://www.lauriefrankel.net/)
“Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband’s lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband. When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage… A lot of people don’t know that marriage comes with instructions. And, we find them right there in God’s word.””

Why The Outrage?
 The thing is, I don’t understand why this interview is making so many “shocking” headlines in secular news media. 
He’s only expressing what most churches still preach on a weekly basis, what has been the common theme of Biblical marriage for thousands of years, and part of most wedding ceremonies, reminding,  “wives, submit to your husbands in every way.” Did the secular world really not have any idea that this type of inequality is readily taught in scripture and practiced in Christian households around the world?

The scary part isn’t that men like Kirk Cameron (and nearly every Christian pastor) spouts this misogynistic drivel. No, the scary part is that millions of women actually believe and willingly accept it as… the Gospel truth. Given Cameron’s previous statements about wanting his daughters to be just like the Duggars“regardless of how their spouse is treating them,” well – I’ll let you connect the dots and jump to your own conclusions as to the validity of such advice and aspirations.

[Image: kirk_cameron_wives.jpg]

I will never forget when the pastor officiating our wedding (a friend of my in-laws) threw in little gems like this for our guests, “Marriage is like a dance. It is the husband’s job to lead. It is the wife’s job to be beautiful and follow her husband’s lead.” (We were absolutely mortified that our guests might have thought we asked him to spout such nonsense.) Of course, this pastor came from a denomination that, still today believes:

Quote:“The Bible teaches that women are not to speak in church. The fact that our society is in rebellion against the biblical teaching regarding women does not make the Bible obsolete; it makes us who adopt the world’s values shameful and dishonoring to the Lord.” – James W. Scott

[Image: submit-194x300.jpg]

Well, what can you say? No, I guess the question is to women: What can YOU say? (Not much, according to the Word Of God…) You just can’t make this stuff up, folks. Sadly, you don’t have to.

Incidentally, I feel I should actually thank the pastor who performed our ceremony. It’s all we talked about on our wedding night, ultimately leading us to reject the common trappings of Biblical marriage, and eventually – Christianity as a whole. As a result, we have one of the happiest, healthiest marriages on the planet. And for that, Rev. – we thank you!

My heart just breaks for the women who find themselves in Christian marriages that have led them to accept a lesser, subservient role in society, all because a “wicked woman” allegedly ate a piece for forbidden fruit thousands of years ago. Wake up!

- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/abletochoose/2016/04/kirk-cameron-wives/#sthash.ScjC1K6i.dpuf

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Rotobeast - 04-30-2016

You don't have to demand this, when your Alpha.
It just shakes out that way.
Ninja

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 04-30-2016

(04-30-2016, 06:53 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You don't have to demand this, when your Alpha.
It just shakes out that way.
Ninja

Is that how you raise "proper" girls?

Ninja

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Griever - 05-02-2016

my favorite is when people say that you can only find true happiness and true love if god is in your marriage

i disagree, telling them that my marriage got significantly better once my wife and i decided to walk away from the church and religion completely

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - XenoMorph - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 04:18 PM)Griever Wrote: my favorite is when people say that you can only find true happiness and true love if god is in your marriage

i disagree, telling them that my marriage got significantly better once my wife and i decided to walk away from the church and religion completely

"god" doesnt make a good 3-some partner anyway

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Nately120 - 05-02-2016

How old are his daughters? I'm a pretty lousy catch so I wonder how long he could handle me running their lives into the ground.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - bfine32 - 05-02-2016

Never-mind context. The Friendly Atheists has a population eating out of his hand, but FWIW, Cameron also said this and numerous other things in his interview:

Quote:Despite Cameron maintaining that wives are to follow their husband's lead, he told CP that husbands should avoid getting into heated arguments over disagreements with their wives because nobody wins when an argument takes place.

"Thinking that you are going to win an argument, you end up losing. It's a no-win situation," Cameron stated. "In order for you to win, your husband or wife has to lose. When they lose, you have not built up your marriage. You have really cut them down. When couples start arguing and fighting in front of the kids, dad cuts mom and mom cuts dad and the kids bleed. They see that and it damages them. When the kids get to marriage, they will follow patterns that they see."

Cameron continued by explaining that a downfall for some in contentious marriages is that they tend to blame their spouse for their marital problems instead of taking blame for their own faults.

"What most people do is they try to blame their spouse and say, 'Hey, I would be a great husband if it weren't for my wife.' 'We would have a great marriage if it wasn't for my husband,'" Cameron explained. "This talks to the importance of getting your own part right. There is only one person on the whole planet who you can change and it's not your spouse."

Cameron, who is married to fellow "Growing Pains" star Chelsea Noble and has six kids, and singer/songwriter Warren Barfield, have already held 12 "Love Worth Fighting For" events in churches across the country this year and have 11 more scheduled.

Cameron said that the events are open to everyone, no matter their faith, relationship status or sexual orientation.

"We talk about faith in God. We talk about the heart of the problem in marriage. We talk about what it means to love your wife in a practical way and what it means to honor your husband," Cameron said. "It is possible to fireproof your marriage. Fireproof doesn't mean that the fire will never come, it means when the fire comes and the heat is high, you will be able to withstand it."

Dude is just trying to give marital advice, as best he can. But many will just roll with the out of context excepts for Horus Gilgamesh and roll with it. They don't care about what was really said; because Christians.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Never-mind context. The Friendly Atheists has a population eating out of his hand, but FWIW, Cameron also said this and numerous other things in his interview:

Dude is just trying to give marital advice, as best he can. But many will just roll with the out of context excepts for Horus Gilgamesh and roll with it. They don't care about what was really said; because Christians.

This what he really said:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/kirk-cameron-god-marriage-wives-submission-husbands-161142/

Quote:“Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband’s lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband. When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage… A lot of people don’t know that marriage comes with instructions. And, we find them right there in God’s word.””

Quote:"Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband's lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband," Cameron explained. "When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage."

Cameron's advice that wives are to follow their husband's lead, comes after his sister and Christian actress Candace Cameron Bure wrote in her 2014 book Balancing It All: My Story of Juggling Priorities and Purpose, that she prefers to take a more submissive role in her marriage to former National Hockey League player Valeri Bure.

"The definition I'm using with the word 'submissive' is the biblical definition of that," Bure, who is known for her role in the sitcom "Full House," wrote. "So, it is meekness, it is not weakness. It is strength under control, it is bridled strength. And that's what I choose to have in my marriage."

[Image: candace-cameron-bure.jpg?w=262](Photo: Reuters/Danny Moloshok)Candace Cameron-Bure arrives at the Teen Choice Awards 2014 in Los Angeles, California, August 10, 2014.

Last year, Bure clarified the role she assumes in marriage during an interview with Yahoo Parenting.

"I used the word 'submissive' [to describe my role in the marriage] because it's from the Bible but people who don't understand that see that as offensive," she said. "My husband is not a dictator. We work together but I don't want to dig my heels in and I have no aspirations to be the ruler of my family. We are two equal people but I love my husband and I want him to lead."

"With big picture issues such as where we live or what schools the kids attend, if he feels strongly about something and I think our family would benefit from it, I am going to share my thoughts," she continued. "But ultimately, I trust that my husband has our family's best interests at heart, so I wouldn't fight him on that. And when I feel strongly about something, he agrees with me. It goes both ways."

Now, you were saying about "context"?

Sure she COULD speak up if she felt STRONGLY enough but she believes in her husband and god way of submissiveness...so why?

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - bfine32 - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 10:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: This what he really said:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/kirk-cameron-god-marriage-wives-submission-husbands-161142/

Now, you were saying about "context"?

Sure she COULD speak up if she felt STRONGLY enough but she believes in her husband and god way of submissiveness...so why?

You quoted the exact same article I did, you just chose to bold one-liners here and there (context, I suppose).  He obviously is saying a marriage is work that sometimes takes sacrifices from both partners.

Would it matter if I quoted it and bolded what he said about the husband's role?

Nope it wouldn't.  Horus Gilgamesh got him another "open-minded" fan.  He knows his audience and plays to their biases.  

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 05-02-2016

(05-02-2016, 10:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You quoted the exact same article I did, you just chose to bold one-liners here and there (context, I suppose).  He obviously is saying a marriage is work that sometimes takes sacrifices from both partners.

Would it matter if I quoted it and bolded what he said about the husband's role?

Nope it wouldn't.  Horus Gilgamesh got him another "open-minded" fan.  He knows his audience and plays to their biases.  

He is obviously saying:

Quote:“Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband’s lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband. When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage… A lot of people don’t know that marriage comes with instructions. And, we find them right there in God’s word.””

And you can try and put any spin on it you like...but that is is quote.

Wait....

Are you trying to say "he didn't say that"?   Hilarious

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - jmccracky - 05-03-2016

(05-02-2016, 10:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: He is obviously saying:

And you can try and put any spin on it you like...but that is is quote.

Wait....

Are you trying to say "he didn't say that"?   Hilarious

But he said other stuff too.........;...

Wink

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Benton - 05-03-2016

I like it.

Happy Mother's Day, get back in the 1880s and make me a sandwich.

LOL

Seriously, though,most religions teach some kind of gender roles. His is telling both sides to have responsibilities for the sake of getting along and improving the family.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 10:28 AM)Benton Wrote: I like it.

Happy Mother's Day, get back in the 1880s and make me a sandwich.

LOL

Seriously, though,most religions teach some kind of gender roles. His is telling both sides to have responsibilities for the sake of getting along and improving the family.

Yes they each have responsibilities...and the wife's is to put up with whatever and respect her man!

Smirk

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Rotobeast - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 10:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes they each have responsibilities...and the wife's is to put up with whatever and respect her man!

Smirk

Men generally complain about women and women complain about men.
Most people come off as sexist, when going on a spousal rant.
FWIW.... the dude did mention that if each person (meaning BOTH) get their part right....
Everyone will have different opinions on the definition of said parts, but marriage is a PARTnership.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - SteelCitySouth - 05-03-2016

At least he didn't use a banana this time. Cool

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - GMDino - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 12:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Men generally complain about women an women complain about men.
Most people come off as sexist, when going on a spousal rant.
FWIW.... the dude did mention that if each person  (meaning  BOTH) get their part right....
Everyone will have different opinions on the definition of said parts, but marriage is a PARTnership.

Yes he did...mention it.  That's what most people believe.

However he also said....quote:

Quote:Wives are to honor and respect and follow their husband’s lead, not to tell their husband how he ought to be a better husband. When each person gets their part right, regardless of how their spouse is treating them, there is hope for real change in their marriage… A lot of people don’t know that marriage comes with instructions. And, we find them right there in God’s word.””

Which most people see as a left over, outdated patriarchal joke.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - michaelsean - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 12:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes he did...mention it.  That's what most people believe.

Why don't you go ahead and tell your wife how she could be a better wife.  (I have a spare bedroom 9 months a year if you need it.)

(05-03-2016, 12:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Why don't you go ahead  and tell your wife how she could be a better wife.  (I have a spare bedroom 9 months a year if you need it.)

That is all part of open communication...versus being told god told me not to and just be quiet.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Rotobeast - 05-03-2016

(05-03-2016, 12:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes he did...mention it.  That's what most people believe.

I perceived it as not demoralizing the husband (again he's referring to the male condition, as he identifies).
Telling a person what to do does nothing but create animosity.

With the "regardless of how their spouse is treating them", I'm seeing this including both parties and suggesting they turn the other cheek, setting an example for one another.

Fwiw... I think Cameron is a dork and I'm attempting to defend this out of boredom.

RE: “Wives Should Respect Husbands, Not Tell Them How to Be Better” – Kirk Cameron - Griever - 05-03-2016

(05-02-2016, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: "god" doesnt make a good 3-some partner anyway

he really doesnt