Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
A bullying fine? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: A bullying fine? (/Thread-A-bullying-fine)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

A bullying fine? - StLucieBengal - 05-07-2016

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/05/06/wis-anti-bullying-ordinance/

Is this really something government should be doing?  A fine for parents of their kid is accused of being a bully?   It seems the definition of being a bully is played fast and loose by some .   Do we really want this left up the government?   

Quote: Wis. Town Works To End Bullying By Fining Parents

May 6, 2016 8:14 AM
[/url][url=http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/05/06/wis-anti-bullying-ordinance/#]

[Image: minnetonka-high-cyberbullying.jpg?w=300&...200&crop=1]Tristan & Cassidy (credit: CBS)

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Many kids face bullying and sometimes it can be very hard to stop.
Now, a Wisconsin town has a new idea: fine the bully’s parents.
The city council in Shawano passed a new anti-bullying ordinance. Under the new ordinance, police will warn parents if their child is involved in bullying.

The parent has 90 days to address the bullying.
If police think their kid hasn’t stopped the bad behavior, the parent will be issued a $366 fine.
A couple of other Wisconsin cities have a similar ordinance and city leaders said it’s making a positive impact. 

RE: A bullying fine? - SunsetBengal - 05-07-2016

Well, we are talking about Minnesota. The very State that brought us such wonderful leaders as Jesse Ventura and Al Franken..

RE: A bullying fine? - GMDino - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 02:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/05/06/wis-anti-bullying-ordinance/

Is this really something government should be doing?  A fine for parents of their kid is accused of being a bully?   It seems the definition of being a bully is played fast and loose by some .   Do we really want this left up the government?   

Yes.  As long as there is a time to correct the behavior and not just random fines being handed out.

RE: A bullying fine? - Rotobeast - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 09:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Yes.  As long as there is a time to correct the behavior and not just random fines being handed out.

Agreed.
Warn the parents and child the first time.
The second time yields a suspension of 3 days.
The third strike yields a $250 fine to the parents.
Each incident after you'd have the fine double. ($500 for 2nd, $1000 for 3rd...ect..)

(05-07-2016, 10:07 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Agreed.
Each incident after you'd have the fine double. ($500 for 2nd, $1000 for 3rd...ect..)

The sad truth is that with some parents you need to FORCE them to be parents.

I don't have a problem with it on the local level.

RE: A bullying fine? - BmorePat87 - 05-07-2016

Parents of bullied kids should be paying the parents of the bullies. Don't they know that constant unproviked harassment, ridicule, and violence teaches their kids to be stronger?

RE: A bullying fine? - Nately120 - 05-07-2016

Just let kids carried concealed weapons and see how quickly bullying falls out of favor.

RE: A bullying fine? - Benton - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 10:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: The sad truth is that with some parents you need to FORCE them to be parents.

I don't have a problem with it on the local level.
Agreed with this, and Freds point about ad long as it's not just handing out fines.

Sometimes parents dont know their kid is a twit. Other times, maybe the majority, they know but don't care.

(05-07-2016, 10:18 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Parents of bullied kids should be paying the parents of the bullies. Don't they know that constant unproviked harassment, ridicule, and violence teaches their kids to be stronger?
Hilarious 

I admit I forgot!

RE: A bullying fine? - fredtoast - 05-07-2016

No problem as long as the definition of "bullying" is not to vague.

Like almost every law there is no problem with the idea as long as the details are worked out properly.

RE: A bullying fine? - Nately120 - 05-07-2016

Kids need to just suck it up until they are old enough to take advantage of "stand your ground" loopholes. Well, the kids who aren't black, at least.

RE: A bullying fine? - BmorePat87 - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 10:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Kids need to just suck it up until they are old enough to take advantage of "stand your ground" loopholes.  Well, the kids who aren't black, at least.

You got it all wrong, friend. Stand your ground laws are used to defend bullies who get their asses whooped by those they try to bully. 

RE: A bullying fine? - Bengalholic - 05-07-2016

This, or some version of this, seems reasonable to me. It allows the parents to be notified/warned and gives them a chance to address the problem. Then, if it continues, the consequences get worse.

I guess the next question would be....what happens if the parents don't pay?

(05-07-2016, 12:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I guess the next question would be....what happens if the parents don't pay?

Expulsion and the parents are responsible for entering the child into another school district, within 7 calendar days ?
They'd also be banned from using school transportation and be required to transport their child to and from school, until fines are paid.
It would have to be implemented on a state level.
There could also be required anger management classes thrown into the mix.

RE: A bullying fine? - StLucieBengal - 05-07-2016

Isn't the definition of bullying different for everyone? Who gets to say that bullying is talkmg place? Teachers? Principles? Parents? Kids?

(05-07-2016, 12:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Isn't the definition of bullying different for everyone? Who gets to say that bullying is talkmg place? Teachers? Principles? Parents? Kids?

I'd imagine, in a fine issuing situation, it would have to be witnessed first hand by a teacher.
There would also need to be a state defined list of detailed offenses.
I would also require all teachers take a coarse in evaluating these situations.

I would also add that a single verbal offense would not qualify.
Verbal issues would need to be repeated, after the first counseling session from the initial offense.

not sure there is any level of bullying that warrants a fine to parents.  Yes there are bad parents but the  gov doesn't need that money.  

(05-07-2016, 12:49 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd imagine, in a fine issuing situation, it would have to be witnessed first hand by a teacher.
There would also need to be a state defined list of detailed offenses.
I would also require all teachers take a coarse in evaluating these situations.

Why can't they just kick them out of school and force the parents to pay for private school?  I don't like  to the ability to fine comes from An interpretation by a teacher who may have clouded feelings.   

It's a nice idea with good intentions.... But good intentions aren't enough to give school employees the ability to take your money based on a hunch or a feeling.  

(05-07-2016, 12:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: not sure there is any level of bullying that warrants a fine to parents.  Yes there are bad parents but the  gov doesn't need that money.  

If not physical , it would need to be a repeated behavior.
I did not suggest a fine, until strike three.
The parents would have been informed on the first occurrence.
If the child fails to comply by the third strike, it may suggest the child has some mental issues and may require intervention.

RE: A bullying fine? - fredtoast - 05-07-2016

(05-07-2016, 12:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why can't they just kick them out of school and force the parents to pay for private school?  I don't like  to the ability to fine comes from An interpretation by a teacher who may have clouded feelings.   

It's a nice idea with good intentions.... But good intentions aren't enough to give school employees the ability to take your money based on a hunch or a feeling.  

The person charged would be entitled top a hearing just like with any other charges.  It would take more than just a "hunch" or "feeling" to force these people to pay.