Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Bengals GameDay! (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Bengals-GameDay)
+---- Forum: GameDay Thread Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-GameDay-Thread-Archive)
+----- Forum: 2016 GameDay Threads (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-2016-GameDay-Threads)
+----- Thread: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** (/Thread-Week-17-GameDay-Thread-Ravens-Bengals)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes.  That's the reason he is among the league leaders in rushing TDs during his career.

They also skew his average down considerably, if you are going to throw out his long runs you have to throw out his short yardage runs.  You'd then also have to do the same with any back you are attempting to compare him to.  Or, you leave it alone and compare starters to starters, not backups.

You can't keep harping on averages, you have to look at the player's role and how it impacts things.  The third down back should almost always have a better YPC than the starter, as they get considerably more of their carries in situations where the defense is playing the pass first and often willing to give up an 6 yard carry to prevent a long completion to move the sticks.  Conversely, who gives a shit if you're short yardage back averages 1.0 YPC?  The important point with him is that he converts at a high percentage.

More greatness!

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - milksheikh - 01-01-2017

Rueben Foster and/or Pass Rusher in the 1st round seems likely to me in the first round..

Wouldn't mind Jabrill Peppers either.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Yojimbo - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yes.  That's the reason he is among the league leaders in rushing TDs during his career.

They also skew his average down considerably, if you are going to throw out his long runs you have to throw out his short yardage runs.  You'd then also have to do the same with any back you are attempting to compare him to.  Or, you leave it alone and compare starters to starters, not backups.

You can't keep harping on averages, you have to look at the player's role and how it impacts things.  The third down back should almost always have a better YPC than the starter, as they get considerably more of their carries in situations where the defense is playing the pass first and often willing to give up an 6 yard carry to prevent a long completion to move the sticks.  Conversely, who gives a shit if you're short yardage back averages 1.0 YPC?  The important point with him is that he converts at a high percentage.

I'll take a back with 20 yds for 20 tds on a season than a back with 1000yds and no tds. Touchdowns win games, yards don't (at least not directly).

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Bengalholic - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:54 PM)kevin Wrote: Is he the LSU RB....NO, we have other higher needs.....When we draft there will be several top Alabama Linebackers and very old Dansby was yet another band aid....Harrison, Hawk and Dansby were band aids. ....The talent at Linebacker in Round One when we draft is too hard to pass up. We have needed a Round One LB for some years now, but they were off board by the time we drafted. 

Just my opinion, but I feel RB is a very real need. I also think LB and DE are high priorities. I would be happy with Fournette, Foster or Barnett with the first pick. I think any of the 3 address an legit area of concern. 

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - matmaven - 01-01-2017

Browns torching the Stillers 2nd teamers. I don't ever remember so many meaningless Week 17 games.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - masonbengals fan - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This post is sheer greatness.  Thank you for sharing!

ThumbsUp

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Pat5775 - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:55 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The answer is because lineman limit your play calling and audibles. Hill can do a lot more than just score short yardage touchdowns, like blitz pick-up, running routes out of the backfield and sweeps to the outside. Hill has scored several touchdowns from more than 20yds away from the end zone and has several short yardage td's that he had to turn on the jets and bounce it to the outside.

Hill isn't AP or Elliot or David Johnson, but he isn't useless and does bring value to the team on a occasion. Hill's biggest problem is his consistency which is a mental issue that can be corrected. Did you know he had the highest number of touches without a fumble in the league this year?

Yes, his cutdown on fumbles were the only thing I could say positive about Hill these past few months. His problem is he's too lazy or scared to hit the hole hard and has horrible vision. How many TD's from outside 20 does he have? And how many after his rookie year?? He hasn't been all that impressive these past few years. I was one of his biggest defenders and chalked up his struggles to his many nicks and stingers and shoddy oline play but I can't defend him anymore. He looks like 2007/2008 Rudi Johnson. He's lost it.

He's not terrible but he's not worthy of starting anymore. He's looking very replaceable now

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - kevin - 01-01-2017

3 drives, 3 scores.....Lets mention the kicker. He was great in college, best in nation year he came out....He looks better than Nugent....I'm not saying he just gets handed job in 2017, but he should be in competition for it during off season and preseason. I want to see competition here, but he could end up being our answer at kicker. I'm not ruling him out.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:01 PM)matmaven Wrote: Browns torching the Stillers 2nd teamers.  I don't ever remember so many meaningless Week 17 games.

It's still good to see the Steelers lose.  I wish them all the success they had in the 1950s and 1960s.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Yojimbo - 01-01-2017

Love these Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl commercials, too bad they are for Kia.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - matmaven - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It's still good to see the Steelers lose.  I wish them all the success they had in the 1950s and 1960s.

Could cost the Browns the #1 pick.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - jfkbengals - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 03:47 PM)kevin Wrote: Rex a cheap re-sign by NFL standards.  He won't get 1, 000 yard rusher contract.  No reason can't re-sign him in regards to the money end. 

He has two former OCs in Hue and Jay that could court him.

BS on that flag.  Smith was inbounds when Williams hit him with a legal blow to the back.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Trademark - 01-01-2017

Oh boy lol

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - kevin - 01-01-2017

How many times do Steelers make that same D hit as a player going out of bounds, and no flag ????

***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - bjf123 - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:05 PM)kevin Wrote: How many times do Steelers make that same D hit as a player going out of bounds, and no flag ????

Every game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - TheLeonardLeap - 01-01-2017

Penalty for hitting Steve Smith too hard. He is retiring you know. Don't be a meanie, hitting people.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - Pat5775 - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:05 PM)kevin Wrote: How many times do Steelers make that same D hit as a player going out of bounds, and no flag ????

Beat me to it. Awful call

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - wildcats forever - 01-01-2017

Vinny Rey is hustling his butt off today

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - masonbengals fan - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:02 PM)kevin Wrote: 3 drives, 3 scores.....Lets mention the kicker. He was great in college, best in nation year he came out....He looks better than Nugent....I'm not saying he just gets handed job in 2017, but he should be in competition for it during off season and preseason.  I want to see competition here, but he could end up being our answer at kicker. I'm not ruling him out.

He's a definite upgrade over Nugent. If only that would have happened earlier in the year. This might not have been the last game.

RE: ***Week 17 GameDay Thread...Ravens @ Bengals*** - jfkbengals - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 04:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'll take a back with 20 yds for 20 tds on a season than a back with 1000yds and no tds. Touchdowns win games, yards don't (at least not directly).

I'll take both.

I'll let the 1000 yard guy get me in position and then bring in the closer to change the scoreboard!