Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-18-2021, 01:30 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: No, but my point is: If you have a guard position to fill, and Bobby Hart is actually a better guard than tackle, then why wouldn't just move him to guard and sign a tackle?  Why didn't they do what people are proposing now a year or two ago?

You're still left with a hole either way.  If he stays at T then you need to sign a G.  And if you move him to G then you need to sign a T.

I mean, it's kind of wash is it not?  As much as people think tackles are paid, I promise you if you look at the guys outside the bigger names, the money between an average RT and an average G is not all that different.

Well I can't remember previous years off the top of my head, but we ended up signing XSF and later Spain to G. Then we had Redmond and Jordan that the coaching staff seemed to inexplicitly believe in.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-18-2021, 01:23 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, why didn't he play guard in New York the 3 years he was there?

Why didn't we sign him to play at the guard spot to begin with? (No ego there, if you set the position and role from the jump)

If anything, moving him to guard, where it actually resulted in him playing better, would have made the FO look more intelligent.  It would have resulted in them coming out looking better than they did initially.  They could now claim the reason for the extension was for versatility and it was in their plans all along to eventually slide him over.

Maybe he could be a really good guard.  But the fact remains that the dude has been in the league for 6 years, all 6 years being a below average starting RT, and no one has moved him over.

One would think, out of two seperate franchises and four different head coaches (Coughlin, McAddoo, Lewis, and Taylor) that somewhere along the way someone would have figured this out and moved him inside.

I think they're all afraid. He does look pretty gangsta. 

[Image: ugbho7khdollq9vyotnb]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Does anyone else read all of Wes's posts in Vince Vaughn's voice because of that profile picture?
(03-18-2021, 01:33 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Does anyone else read all of Wes's posts in Vince Vaughn's voice because of that profile picture?

Every time. And i always finish the posts with "Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!!". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-18-2021, 01:33 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Does anyone else read all of Wes's posts in Vince Vaughn's voice because of that profile picture?

Fwiw, my voice is similar but not totally the same.  I do laugh exactly like Mantooth does in this video though:

So I don't want to give out false hope... but click this link.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/riley-reiff/7029

Note the team he is with....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(03-18-2021, 02:12 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So I don't want to give out false hope... but click this link.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/riley-reiff/7029

Note the team he is with....

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion he will sign here
(03-18-2021, 03:44 AM)Trademark Wrote: It's pretty much a forgone conclusion he will sign here

Unless they find a mysterious shoulder injury...

Sounds like we are signing Reiff. I'm hoping this is the smart plan to sign a tackle because there is certainly the chance the Sewell isnt there at 5 (Even if it looks likely). While I am probably absolutely taking him if he's there at 5 this gives us the breathing room to go after a WR or TE or possibly trade down if he or someone we wanted goes before we pick.

Still need at least one more guard. And I definitely want Spain back I thought he did well coming in halfway through a season.

Do you pukes read mine in Sgt Slaughter's voice?  
If they sign Reiff, one quality interior lineman, and maybe retain Spain. Depending on what happens with Golladay, could give them some more options in the draft. Sewell or Slater would still be my top choices but it wouldn’t be AS MUCH of a need.
(03-18-2021, 08:27 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If they sign Reiff, one quality interior lineman, and maybe retain Spain. Depending on what happens with Golladay, could give them some more options in the draft. Sewell or Slater would still be my top choices but it wouldn’t be AS MUCH of a need.

At that point you really consider trading back.
Welcome back Mike Thomas. I guess we signed him to a 1 year deal.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-bringing-back-wide-receiver-mike-thomas-on-one-year-deal
(03-18-2021, 08:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: At that point you really consider trading back.

I'm still on the Pitts bandwagon.  
(03-18-2021, 09:20 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm still on the Pitts bandwagon.  

I wouldn’t hate it... only if we feel comfortable at Oline and WR.
I'll be fine with the (a) Riley signing. I do think the interior is the bigger issue with the line tho but beggars can't be choosy or whatever the saying is, and the guard market from free agency has dried up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-18-2021, 09:20 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Welcome back Mike Thomas. I guess we signed him to a 1 year deal.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-bringing-back-wide-receiver-mike-thomas-on-one-year-deal

I'm perfectly alright with him as a 4th or 5th receiver he had a couple of really good catches last year.
(03-18-2021, 09:35 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm perfectly alright with him as a 4th or 5th receiver he had a couple of really good catches last year.

Seemed to have a thing going with Burrow early in camp and the start of the season.

These are key special teams signings we have seen and important given our solid special teams unit. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(03-18-2021, 09:35 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm perfectly alright with him as a 4th or 5th receiver he had a couple of really good catches last year.

I feel the same. He's good depth and good on ST as well. 
Im still holding out hope that Zac can use his rams connections to trade for Havenstein. Now that Rams have gotten under the cap im not sure how likely that would be. Prior to FA it seemed like a foregone conclusion that Havenstein was going to moved, now its looking likely he will be staying on rams. Hes a very solid RT and has 2 years left at very managble salaries.