Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-20-2021, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Isaiah Wilson Waived.

That certainly mean Sewell is still on the board for Miami
(03-20-2021, 11:59 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: That certainly mean Sewell is still on the board for Miami
Yes it does....so Pitts or Chase (depending on the Golladay thing) is my choice if we stick to #5 and dont trade down.
I read that GollaDEY left NY without a deal and the Bears are in mix...but guess who is Bears new shiney QB? the red pop gun......
I would think having Burrow + Callahan knowing Golladey may be enough to get it done....?? we shall see ..I feel like today we should know something and either move on or celebrate having  one the best WR group in NFL.  
(03-20-2021, 11:59 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: That certainly mean Sewell is still on the board for Miami

Sure does. He’s as good as gone.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Immaturity is about to cost him Millions.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

In 10 years, when Wilson is broke or in jail, he's going to reflect on what he lost. How can someone be so stupid?
(03-20-2021, 12:10 PM)bengaloo Wrote: In 10 years, when Wilson is broke or in jail, he's going to reflect on what he lost. How can someone be so stupid?

A young invincible mind.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

(03-20-2021, 12:07 PM)Synric Wrote:
Immaturity is about to cost him Millions.

I feel only a little bad because this guy has nobody in his life that is telling him that he should be ashamed of the way he’s behaving.
(03-20-2021, 10:32 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If I could only sign Golladay due to cap money, I would rather sign Turner or an experienced guard and trade for Ertz, then cut Uzomah (after draft) if we draft Pitts.

There ain't no way the Bengals are drafting Pitts over either Chase or Sewell. And, the chances of 1 of them being there at #5 are very good at this point. 
Burrow's history with Chase (they're friends) and his dominance in the SEC along with them still needing a replacement for AJ win the day over Pitts. 
And if it's Sewell, case closed as we all know. 

Pitts is a TE. They are not spending their #5 pick on a team that is last in the league over the last 2 years in 12 personnel. It makes ZERO sense. And please don't say they can move him out wide all the time. That's not how things work. He's not an X or a Y in the NFL. Would you want Tee Higgins and Ja Marr Chase as your Wideouts with Boyd in the middle? Or, would you want Higgins and Boyd out there with Pitts in the middle? 
Not to mention, he won't even be the TE on the field in a lot of Running sets.
Sewell % of plays---100%
Chase % of plays---80+%
Pitts % of plays---65-70%

No brainer IMO....
Well, Sewell is 100% gone now. I’m taking Pitts and not thinking twice about it. Go OL in the 2nd.

(03-20-2021, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd still be looking to stock up on OL and DL.  The team is in a situation now, where they are relying on free agents to carry the water in the trenches.  That gets rather expensive, come time to renew contracts.  Free agency is a great tool to fill spots on a team, but the mission should always be to have younger talent developing to one day take those positions.

We think pretty similar on this. Thought maybe you were in the 'must draft Pitts or Chase' crowd with suggesting two guard signings for multiple years. I think they have to come away with 1 OL guy in the first 2 rounds (preferably can start at guard by mid-season year 1), and 1 DL guy in the first 3. 
(03-20-2021, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Sewell is 100% gone now. I’m taking Pitts and not thinking twice about it. Go OL in the 2nd.

So now you know that Miami isn't trading out once again for more draft capital? It seems to be a great play for them over the last few years. I'd keep doing it. 
And they tried to help a RT, not a LT. They wouldn't draft Sewell to be a RT. 
(03-20-2021, 12:19 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: There ain't no way the Bengals are drafting Pitts over either Chase or Sewell. And, the chances of 1 of them being there at #5 are very good at this point. 
Burrow's history with Chase (they're friends) and his dominance in the SEC along with them still needing a replacement for AJ win the day over Pitts. 

Pitts is a TE. They are not spending their #5 pick on a team that is last in the league over the last 2 years in 12 personnel. It makes ZERO sense. And please don't say they can move him out wide all the time. That's not how things work. He's not an X or a Y in the NFL. Would you want Tee Higgins and Ja Marr Chase as your Wideouts with Boyd in the middle? Or, would you want Higgins and Boyd out there with Pitts in the middle? 
Sewell % of plays---100%
Chase % of plays---80+%

No brainer IMO....

You 100% ignored the part about trading for Ertz (a complete stud TE) to pair with Pitts and Sample. In my scenario I had mentioned in prior posts Sewell was gone. As far as Chase or Pitts, I take Pitts as a lot of receivers can do close to what Chase can do, very few TE's will be available to do what Pitts can do.

QB's in the NFL love TE's, just think of Ertz and Pitts on field at same time, defense has to worry about the run or the play action pass. Te's have a way of getting open within 2 seconds, so OL does not have to hold off rushers for 3 or 4 seconds.

So, in  my opinion very much up for debate, especially if Sewell is gone.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-20-2021, 01:06 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: So now you know that Miami isn't trading out once again for more draft capital? It seems to be a great play for them over the last few years. I'd keep doing it. 
And they tried to help a RT, not a LT. They wouldn't draft Sewell to be a RT. 

They have plenty of picks. They need to start actually using them. They won 10 games last year. They’re not far off. We need to prepare ourselves for Sewell not being there.

(03-20-2021, 11:04 AM)TJ528 Wrote: IMO theyd be idiotic to put Reiff at G. This dude is a tackle period. Whether he's your RT or LT that's where you play him. Bring in Sewell or Slater start then at guard. The Bengals haven't draft a great OL since Whitt in 2006 and he started at guard and moved to LT.

Not really super important but...Whit started at T and played G, i think, twice his rookie year. Then he played the majority of games at G 2nd year with a couple T starts, then played exclusively G (in an injury shortened year) in yr 3 before moving full time to T.

Sewell or Slater could do the same thing. G or T, depending on the need. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Chargers with their 3rd offensive line signing..

Oday Aboushi had a good season with the Lions in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(03-20-2021, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, Sewell is 100% gone now. I’m taking Pitts and not thinking twice about it. Go OL in the 2nd.

You still don't think the Phins at least think about Smith or Chase?

But yeah, taking Sewell is much more likely for them now. 

I take Pitts as you say, could be a future HOF'er and this Draft is deep with OT's and WR's.
(03-20-2021, 12:19 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: There ain't no way the Bengals are drafting Pitts over either Chase or Sewell. And, the chances of 1 of them being there at #5 are very good at this point. 

Sewell % of plays---100%
Chase % of plays---80+%

No brainer IMO....
I guess your saying Callahan.and Taylor are totally narrow minded and so set they cant incorporate 12 personal 
In the playbook?
BTW Pitts was running a great deal of the route tree last year
He has the most dynamic skillset of all skill.players in this draft
Hes more WR than TE
(03-20-2021, 12:48 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: We think pretty similar on this. Thought maybe you were in the 'must draft Pitts or Chase' crowd with suggesting two guard signings for multiple years. I think they have to come away with 1 OL guy in the first 2 rounds (preferably can start at guard by mid-season year 1), and 1 DL guy in the first 3. 

Nah, I follow the philosophy of building a football team from the inside out.  The Bengals have talented skill players, they only need a couple of solid role players in that regard.  However, the team that controls the LOS dictates the flow of the game, and the Bengals reserves on either side of the line are in dire staits.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-20-2021, 02:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Chargers with their 3rd offensive line signing..

Oday Aboushi had a good season with the Lions in 2020.

Must be nice to have a team prioritize protecting their young franchise QB.

I would also like to see a Guard or two so that we go into the draft without being pegged into a particular pick.

That said, I did some research into what we've done so far and really I like these signings better than some.

Hendrickson for example I rate better than PFF and its secret formula (which usually yields results contrary to what my eyes show me). He's basically Lawson with the advantage of actually finishing the play in pass rush.

Ogunjobi is the big wild card in the class - if he delivers on pass rush like he has flashed before then the D suddenly has an interior QB pressure ability it has lacked for a while. Not being asked to play in the wrong role will help (like the Stains did last year). The ENTIRE D had 17 sacks last year - Hendrickson and Ogunjobi had 16 themselves.

Then there is Hilton who has quietly become an A List slot corner and is also A List in pass rush capability. Again he adds a missing element to the defense. Awuzie I think is the team betting that fully recovered and in a different scheme he will look like he did in 2019. Also they are getting Waynes back and ANY move that means we don't get stuck with Leshaun Sims on the field again is a plus in my book.

Reiff is such an obvious upgrade it goes without saying.