Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-10-2021, 11:10 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jenkins: Injured and severely-overmatched at LT (if they played Jenkins at RT, then sure, but he's tons too-stiff to be an NFL LT, IMO)
Eichenberg: Has had a rough camp and is being moved to G. So rough, in fact, that 2015 UDFA Jesse Davis (who has been a poor starter for the past 4 seasons) is going to be starting at RT.
Little: While he is doing well, just imagine how much people would've freaked out if he was taken in the 2nd; the entire world had him mocked in the 3rd or later and EVERYONE on here was claiming it was a super-reach.

You know what the above (and Carman) shows? We all know jack-squat and we CAN'T know anything definitively, until week 1.

Just wait until we start playing for real, before any judgements are made, FFS; don't forget, John Ross had a fantastic preseason in 2018 and where is he now?

Same place he always is…

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 11:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Same place he always is…

I wonder if the Giants message board has any posters who are telling the John Ross doubters that they're all gonna eat crow.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wonder if the Giants message board has any posters who are telling the John Ross doubters that they're all gonna eat crow.

I cannot believe how fragile he is.

Judge has been running the team into the ground (almost literally lol), but to be hurt AGAIN? Just ridiculous.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wonder if the Giants message board has any posters who are telling the John Ross doubters that they're all gonna eat crow.

Most top ten picks that "bust" would still be able to hang on as a #3 WR. Ross was an epic failure.

I did not care for the pick because of his position. But I never thought he would be that bad of a player.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most top ten picks that "bust" would still be able to hang on as a #3 WR. Ross was an epic failure.

I did not care for the pick because of his position. But I never thought he would be that bad of a player.

Yeah, at the time he was a bit of a head-scratcher with potential but in hindsight the dude is an ultra-bust who has the added knock of being the man taken directly before Patrick Mahommes.  I used to live in Chicago so I know people who are Bears fans and seeing Bears fans and Bengals fans trying to convince themselves that Kevin White and John Ross were totally going to break out any day now and make the haters look stupid was an overload of symmetrical delusion.

At least Ross was a one-game wonder...is that even more noteworthy than just being a flat-out never did nothin' bust?
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 11:56 PM)tms Wrote: Go ahead! I'd be the happiest dude on the block! I really don't care whether I'm right or wrong about players. It's more about what the team said they would do, what they ended up doing, how it's playing out now, and who's bound to pay the price for it down the road.

For example, I hate the fact that they brought back Michael Jordan. Not because I don't like him as a player or as a man. Not because I don't understand that people can make mistakes. Not because I don't believe that they deserve second chances. I just think he's being put in a position to fail with the Bengals (just like Carman, albeit in a different way). If he makes another boo-boo that results in another Burrow injury (or if Carman doesn't outperform Humphrey, Jenkins, Eichenberg, Little, Christensen, Davis, Cleveland, etc.) it will take on a life of its own and give us another ghost to be haunted by- as if we didn't have enough already. The risk/reward ratio is far too high imo.

So no, I don't like that. lol  

Well, I mean you could say that about any player we took in the 2nd. There is no reason to hate on the Carman pick at this time.

I wanted Humphrey and Eichenberg a little more than Carman but understand why we took Carman.

I also liked Spencer Brown in the 3rd but with Ossai falling that far it was a no brainer IMO.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 01:08 PM)pally Wrote:

I've mentioned weight issues was the most likely cause for Carman slipping out of the starting lineup from OTAs to training camp. It just made the most sense and it was an issue for Carman at Clemson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

LMAO
Reply/Quote
Carman will be okay and will be a starter. And they have used the situation to advantage by giving more work to others like Smith. Spain should also be back very shortly. And in the interim both Trey Hill and D’Ante Smith have flashed pretty well. The Tampa game will be a good first test to see what still needs work and what is progressing properly.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 12:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I cannot believe how fragile he is.

Judge has been running the team into the ground (almost literally lol), but to be hurt AGAIN? Just ridiculous.

Reports are the injury isnt physically but mentally!
Reply/Quote

This is my shocked face. 

[Image: kramer-seinfeld.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 01:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: Carman will be okay and will be a starter. And they have used the situation to advantage by giving more work to others like Smith. Spain should also be back very shortly. And in the interim both Trey Hill and D’Ante Smith have flashed pretty well. The Tampa game will be a good first test to see what still needs work and what is progressing properly.

This post has so much spin I am dizzy from reading it, lol. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:00 PM)SladeX Wrote: This post has so much spin I am dizzy from reading it, lol. 

Zero spin and so far accurate - Spain returned today. Next stop is preseason game. And whether you like it or not both Hill and D'Ante Smith have flashed exactly as stated. 
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 10:11 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Have not read all the posts so don't know if it has been mentioned but I was big on Trey Smith pre draft. Being a Vols fan I saw him dominate while at Tennessee. He has had a great start to camp and is now projected as a starting Guard in KC.

I like Trey Smith, thought he would be an Excellent LG. But he fell to the 6th.. I would have taken a shot on him at that point, no matter who we had drafted. I just can't believe his condition caused him to fall that far. 

My guess is that IF we had drafted him, you'd have been hearing about how the Bengals effed up another pick by taking a chance on a guy with a medical history already.. it's a no-win here.

I also wanted Wyatt for RG, Smith for LG and try David Moore (Grambling) at Center, also don't understand how Daviyon Nixon fell so far. Iowa has just been pumping out pretty decent Linemen in the last couple years. 

The draft was just a weird one this past year, the opt-outs that didn't play or like Minerz that didn't get to play really made it a tough draft and guys that did play got draft lower than I thought they would.. just a hard draft all around with alot of guys that probably should have stayed another year too that opted to make money now.  Can't blame them though, no telling how the COVID will play out.
Reply/Quote
I posted this in the Michael Jordan thread, but it’s actually more applicable here. Vrabel being asked a question in regards to the depth chart (I believe specifically about 1st rounder Caleb Farley)
Quote: We want to make sure that they’re (rookies) earning the right to be on this football team, just like everybody else. There’s a lot of names here, there’s going to be a lot of different combinations as we work our way through the preseason, there will be a lot of combinations on Friday, and as we get to our first game. So, I wouldn’t put a lot of stock into it on what it looks like now, I think we can all anticipate that some of these names will remain as starters for us going into the season, but then there will be a lot of other guys that throughout the course of the preseason and games will work their way up or work their way down.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Zero spin and so far accurate - Spain returned today. Next stop is preseason game. And whether you like it or not both Hill and D'Ante Smith have flashed exactly as stated. 

Hopefully we don't have a situation arise that allows us to give Allen more work under C, or Tate more time at WR, and so on. I understand making lemonade, but I sincerely hope Carman isn't a lemon!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Zero spin and so far accurate - Spain returned today. Next stop is preseason game. And whether you like it or not both Hill and D'Ante Smith have flashed exactly as stated. 

Yeah, don't get where anyone saw spin in that post.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 01:19 AM)Dr.Z Wrote: I posted this in the Michael Jordan thread, but it’s actually more applicable here.   Vrabel being asked a question in regards to the depth chart (I believe specifically about 1st rounder Caleb Farley)

Bet it will look like this come opening day...

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Quinton Spain/XSF, Trey Hill
C - Trey Hopkins, Trey Hill, Price
RG - Jackson Carman/XSF, Hill
RT - Riley Reiff, Carman

With D'Ante backing up every position besides Center.
Reply/Quote
If the coaches feel Carman is ready then he will start at RG. Otherwise I would hope the starting OL would be Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Reiff. To be honest I will need a LOT of convincing before being able to accept MJ starting anywhere (I still think he should have been cut).
Reply/Quote