Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
But did our last top 5 pick at wideout take 3 years? It's a difficult argument when you guys keep pointing to 2nd rounders.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
The unfortunate truth is that wide receiver is one of the least consistent draft projections on offense, and perhaps overall. The last two Bengals WRs taken in the top ten were a borderline Hall of Fame caliber player (AJ Green) and an abject, horrible bust (John Ross). Trying to project what Chase will or can be on the basis of previous examples is pretty much pointless.
And Ross is going to start the year on IR. My goodness he is poo.
(09-02-2021, 01:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: But did our last top 5 pick at wideout take 3 years? It's a difficult argument when you guys keep pointing to 2nd rounders.

No, I and I don't believe this one will either.
Well hopefully not. We are all clearly anxious to see tho.

(09-02-2021, 01:48 PM)Destro Wrote: And Ross is going to start the year on IR. My goodness he is poo.

At least he is consistent. 

Guy has made millions of dollars and even got a second contract while avoiding having to do anything at the NFL level. If it wasn't so annoying that the Bengals wasted the pick, I'd be almost impressed with what Ross has pulled off.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

This season can not get started soon enough. This has to be without a doubt the worst offseason I've seen among the fanbase, ever. Granted in the 90's there wasn't a message board for this type of discussion, if was all face to face with people which probably explains why it was more civil, but also the fans were united in the enemy being Mike Brown, not fans who wanted a different draft pick.

Now, 4 months and a few days after the draft, the divide is still here and it seems the only thing that will solve it will be the team playing games. Hopefully there isn't a ton of "I told you so" type B.S. from either side once things start to play out. The last thing this board really needs is for this to continue for another 5 months of vitriol and in fighting. Sadly, no matter what happens be it Chase is a star or a bust, there will be posters from either side of the debate ready to jump out with the "I told you so" stuff and trying to re-start things that should have died the day after the draft.

Really, really hope that once the team is playing games, people here can just move on and stop with the in fighting, be nice to have things back to circa 2018 when we all just agreed that Mike was the issue, and Marvin was nearing his end and we just wanted change and wins over being able to say "See I was right" on a damn message board to strangers.

**Also no offense to Holic for saying it is a damn message board, as it is a very nice damn message board and a fun place (usually) to post and debate things.

I've got news for you. There's always going to be differing opinions on players. And those opinions will always be highly debated around here. We are all passionate fans (obviously with how much time we spend on the board), and that is really all that matters (and a good thing).

(09-02-2021, 04:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: I've got news for you. There's always going to be differing opinions on players. And those opinions will always be highly debated around here. We are all passionate fans (obviously with how much time we spend on the board), and that is really all that matters (and a good thing).

Different opinions are great, and what makes this place fun to be a part of, but this debate seemed a little more divisive and kind of less civil then the usual discussions on here.

(09-02-2021, 03:28 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This season can not get started soon enough. This has to be without a doubt the worst offseason I've seen among the fanbase, ever. Granted in the 90's there wasn't a message board for this type of discussion, if was all face to face with people which probably explains why it was more civil, but also the fans were united in the enemy being Mike Brown, not fans who wanted a different draft pick.

Now, 4 months and a few days after the draft, the divide is still here and it seems the only thing that will solve it will be the team playing games. Hopefully there isn't a ton of "I told you so" type B.S. from either side once things start to play out. The last thing this board really needs is for this to continue for another 5 months of vitriol and in fighting. Sadly, no matter what happens be it Chase is a star or a bust, there will be posters from either side of the debate ready to jump out with the "I told you so" stuff and trying to re-start things that should have died the day after the draft.

Really, really hope that once the team is playing games, people here can just move on and stop with the in fighting, be nice to have things back to circa 2018 when we all just agreed that Mike was the issue, and Marvin was nearing his end and we just wanted change and wins over being able to say "See I was right" on a damn message board to strangers.

**Also no offense to Holic for saying it is a damn message board, as it is a very nice damn message board and a fun place (usually) to post and debate things.

I at least try not to be toxic, and I think I'll avoid being obnoxious or constantly saying "I told you so" even if I wind up being right. That said, I will say this: I think the fact that this debate got so toxic, and people were so bitter towards the anti-Chase side, that this will play into WHY some will be rubbing noses in it.

I'm not saying its right, and tbh I wish Chase would light it up just to kill this debate (not to mention help us win games), I'm just explaining why I think it will still be toxic for awhile.

In a way, this whole thing reminds me of the Dalton debate. The reason it got so heated is because both sides had great points for the most part. I wish we could just acknowledge that, respect each other, and move on.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(09-02-2021, 04:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Different opinions are great, and what makes this place fun to be a part of, but this debate seemed a little more divisive and kind of less civil then the usual discussions on here.

Could be that people are already on edge with everything else going on in the world. Could be that people start to resent certain posters they've argued with for years on end. This ain't like Reddit. We pretty much know how everyone on here feels or how they'll likely respond to news.

For example, I (kinda) know how guys like bfine or Truck are going to feel about certain things before they even post. I know roughly what Fred is going to post. Was Mantooth. We just all know each other so well at this point, and if you don't typically like someone's opinion, some people get triggered instantly because they know what's coming.

I personally don't care. There's some people on here that I rarely agree with, and some of those people can be pretty red towards people just for having a differing opinion (that's a pet peeve of mine), but generally I'm cool with people having different opinions on here. The boards would probably be a better place if everyone felt that way.

If you want to wear orange and black colored glasses, fine...but don't be a _____ to me for feeling differently about it.

Apologies for the novel. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(09-02-2021, 12:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His early struggles are well documented, and can be confirmed with about 10 seconds worth of googling…

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/36670/jerry-rice-julio-jones-and-dropped-passes

Meh never heard that. Thanks for the 10 seconds. From the link, I'd take their "bust" over what Chase has turned in so far.

The 49ers, fresh off a victory in Super Bowl XIX, were 6-5 and fighting for their playoff lives. Joe Montana's passing numbers were off. Rice, the team's top draft pick, had 26 receptions in 11 games, but he also dropped 10 balls, some of them at the worst possible times
He's off to a bad start that's for sure, but he's got the skills once his gets the head noise out or whatever causing him to drop the ball.
I'll tell you I don't regret picking Ja'Marr Rice. I just had a LSU homer in my keeper league offer me DK Metcaff for him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-02-2021, 04:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Different opinions are great, and what makes this place fun to be a part of, but this debate seemed a little more divisive and kind of less civil then the usual discussions on here.

Getting rid of the snarky sig might be a nice step to avoid further board divisiveness…

Just a thought.

(09-02-2021, 07:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Getting rid of the snarky sig might be a nice step to avoid further board divisiveness…

Just a thought.

Thought all of it was gone when I reset it back to the old sig.

(09-02-2021, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Thought all of it was gone when I reset it back to the old sig.

Now it is. Cheers

(09-02-2021, 07:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Now it is. Cheers

Gaah Never really pay attention to my own sig..

Cheers

May this season start off well so we can resume being critical of little things, like not going for it on 4th down and not using a RB enough.

Let's all just hope that Chase and Sewell both have fun and make their mothers proud. 
(09-02-2021, 07:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Let's all just hope that Chase and Sewell both have fun and make their mothers proud. 

I think the moms already got their brand new cars...  ThumbsUp