Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
***2023 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-28-2023, 03:43 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Why do you guys think it is so easy to make other teams trade up to our spot and give us good value? Especially in what looks like a shitty draft class?

Not saying it's possible but would've been preferred by me if they could've done that. I was hoping maybe a team would have tried to trade back into the 1st for levis. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:06 AM)OSUfan Wrote: So you would not have drafted the best player available correct?

"I" would've looked for trade partners potentially trying to move back into the 1st for levis. Murphy is a great athlete and has upside, just most reports and write up I see with him say he lacks bend. Without an interior rusher to flush qbs out to the edges that just screams 7 sacks a season  and tons of "pressures". Hope he becomes a double digit sack guy but at first glance, seems like a better Carl lawson.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:30 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: "I" would've looked for trade partners potentially trying to move back into the 1st for levis. Murphy is a great athlete and has upside, just most reports and write up I see with him say he lacks bend. Without an interior rusher to flush qbs out to the edges that just screams 7 sacks a season  and tons of "pressures". Hope he becomes a double digit sack guy but at first glance, seems like a better Carl lawson.

Carl Lawson? That is not even remotely a close comparison. Lawson is a situational pass rusher and Murphy is an every down starting caliber DE that can spell Hubbard or Hendrickson at any down or distance. He was the consensus 17th ranked prospect and fits the scheme of the Bengals. Some may point to Porter being the consensus 14th ranked prospect but you must factor scheme fit into the equation and it is likely that the Bengals would have had Murphy on the board over Porter given this factor.

There was not an interior rusher that was ranked higher than Murphy and you must consider that on passing downs that Murphy and or Hubbard have the ability to move inside to rush the passer. It was an excellent selection given all of the relative factors involved. I would also say that the Bengals more than likely have very intimate information on Murphy given the relationship of Hobby with Clemson.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:47 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Guys...

Murphy hate has been done before. 

https://youtu.be/dv05E7cHiKg

(04-28-2023, 01:45 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hurst missed 4 games last year including the K.C. game where he was injured in the 1st quarter.   The Bengals won every game including beating KC without a #1 TE Hurst or #2 TE Sample.  They dont need a TE like they need help on defense with the pass rush.  We didnt lose to KC in the AFC Championship because of our TEs.  We lost because we couldnt get to Mahomes and he had all day to throw while he lit up the defense for 326 yards with 2 TDs.  A TE just doesnt help the Bengals as much as a pass rusher.

A little bit louder please. Amen. My focus was protect the QB, get the QB. We knew a top OT wouldn’t be there. We got the rusher. And the playmaker I wanted was long gone (Gibbs). I don’t know too much about Murphy, but I trust Zac and Duke got it right.

Now I’m looking at the D Jones OSU RT, Washington from Georgia TE, or a CB.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 07:30 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: "I" would've looked for trade partners potentially trying to move back into the 1st for levis. Murphy is a great athlete and has upside, just most reports and write up I see with him say he lacks bend. Without an interior rusher to flush qbs out to the edges that just screams 7 sacks a season  and tons of "pressures". Hope he becomes a double digit sack guy but at first glance, seems like a better Carl lawson.

If he gets 7 sacks next year, it was a home run pick. If he gets 7 sacks a year for his career it’s a home run.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:39 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: In all the Mock Drafts he avgeraged going 17th. Great value

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/players/2023/myles-murphy

Well, according to that database, of 35 mocks, he only went farther than 28 in two of them and went as far down as 8th. All had him in the first round. A couple had him mocked to the Bengals. 

At times, Hendrickson seemed to be running on fumes late in the game, so maybe rotating Murphy in will keep our DEs energized on every play and the Bengals can get their QB sacks up.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 02:44 AM)Synric Wrote: How about a 2024 off-season thread started now... "Who gets traded Hubbard or Hendrickson?!!?" lol.

No discussion. Hendrickson is a free agent at the end of the season. He will likely cost way more than the Team will pay

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:25 AM)pally Wrote: No discussion.  Hendrickson is a free agent at the end of the season.  He will likely cost way more than the Team will pay

Hendrickson has 2 more years on his contract and Hubbard has 3. I can see Hendrickson playing out his two years then leaving but if Murphy blows up in 2023 we will be hearing alot of trade Hendrickson that off-season.

Edit: Just caught the numbers for Hubbard's deal again wow it's cheap lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 01:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: ****

This quote of yours from Brett Kollman was exciting: "I cannot stress this enough there are teams out there right now that are ready to risk it all for Miles Murphy they see him as potentially a superstar "
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:22 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: If he gets 7 sacks next year, it was a home run pick. If he gets 7 sacks a year for his career it’s a home run.

7 sacks this year as a rotational rookie yes, 7 average for his career isn't great for a 1st rounder. We can all agree Hubbard is a good de that's a great additional piece to have. Hes not a cornerstone edge. 7 sacks a year would be a Hubbard replacement. I hope he does far better than that as a 1st round pick. 
Reply/Quote

Maybe there wasn’t anyone wanting to trade up bad enough.  Maybe they tried.
Reply/Quote
Tyree Wilson who went #7th overall to the Raiders is a very similar prospect to Myles Murphy. Both are more athletes than pass rushers right now. Murphy is a lot better run defender...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:54 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: Maybe there wasn’t anyone wanting to trade up bad enough.  Maybe they tried.

100%. I hope they tried but it's very likely that no one wanted to trade or it was horrible value offered. And while I'm not a huge fan of the player, the pick makes sense, edge is a high value and priced position, and Hendrickson and Hubbard contract will expire before his option year and all that comes up. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:57 AM)Synric Wrote: Tyree Wilson who went #7th overall to the Raiders is a very similar prospect to Myles Murphy. Both are more athletes than pass rushers right now. Murphy is a lot better run defender...

I feel MUCH better about Murphy at 28 than Wilson at 7.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 08:47 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: 7 sacks this year as a rotational rookie yes, 7 average for his career isn't great for a 1st rounder. We can all agree Hubbard is a good de that's a great additional piece to have. Hes not a cornerstone edge. 7 sacks a year would be a Hubbard replacement. I hope he does far better than that as a 1st round pick. 

He's a super late 1st round pick. He's pick 28 not pick 10. Carlos Dunlap has averaged 7 sacks for his career and if we get that kind of player it will be a great pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:37 AM)TheFan Wrote: He's a super late 1st round pick. He's pick 28 not pick 10. Carlos Dunlap has averaged 7 sacks for his career and if we get that kind of player it will be a great pick. 

Absolutely especially if he can give some production on the inside, too, stretching plays, stopping the run, etc. It's not always sacks. I'll take a guy that combines that with lots of pressures, too.
Reply/Quote
I bet Lions fans are going crazy right now... Gibbs at 12 and Jack Campbell at 18 both great players but kinda high on both lol.

Reply/Quote
as someone that has to get up @ 5 am i dont really like picking so late lol.... Need to move the draft up to start @ 7

* I dont mind being late in the order just late in the day
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 09:52 AM)Synric Wrote: I bet Lions fans are going crazy right now... Gibbs at 12 and Jack Campbell at 18 both great players but kinda high on both lol.

there was no reason for them to go Gibbs at 12. The Lions prove once again they are the Lions

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Danielle Hunter is the comp for Myles Murphy I had written down. Similar in a lot of ways from size and athleticism, to being super young, to a bit of lack of production coming out. Both were a bit raw from a pass rushing skill set but could win with the tools they had it just didn't always translate into sacks. Murphy did have over 70 pressures the last couple years, they just didn't convert at a rate to sacks to make people super excited.
Reply/Quote