Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-19-2024, 12:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: We can't pass up on OT for a WR again as enticing as it is. We already made that mistake.

Except Chase was not a mistake.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In December/January? Yes. Next year? Yes. 

Week 1? No. 

But that changes nothing. We could have signed Reader for the price of a Brown restructure & cutting Carman. And we have ample cap to do it without either, anyway.

The opportunity cost of the signing for 2023 was virtually nil. THAT is why is was so dumb not to do it. 

I mean, if signing Reader would have meant we had to release another contributor? That's different. But that isn't remotely the case. 

We'd be un exactly the same spot we are in now relative to Day 1 & cap, except we'd have Reader in the bag for later this year and next. 

Even if he cannot play AT ALL this year, I'd still do it. STILL a no-brainer. As I have said, the net  cap was was next to zero, we have the space anyway, and $12 mil in 2025 is a bargain.

The more one thinks about it, the dumber it gets. 

So you'd rather have an extra $1.6 mil in cap space this year than the possibility of a healthy Reader come PO time? That is what you, and our FO, said.

If we would have said, hey, we don't like these medicals, we are gonna pass? I can respect that decision. But we didn't. We MADE an offer. 

Ergo, the $5.8 this year & $12 next & $9 mil guaranteed was too steep for us. So, essentially we let him walk for the difference between their offer & ours. Which is basically nada if you do a restructure on Brown. Potentially less than nada. 

The combination of the two is borderline incompetent. Full stop.

I never mentioned which I'd want. Just wanted to point out talking out of both sides of one's mouth. 

"Signing Trent is dumb because he's injury prone and we can't count on him"
"Not signing Reader is dumb even though he's injury prone and we can't count on him."

Kinda hard to follow that "logic".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:27 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: Except Chase was not a mistake.

It's debatable. Everything the naysayers said from Burrow being beat down, and injured, to the meme of Burrow on his back with a wide open receiver unable to make a play (Super Bowl) came to fruition. 

I don't think they've been silenced in the debate. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's debatable. Everything the naysayers said from Burrow being beat down, and injured, to the meme of Burrow on his back with a wide open receiver unable to make a play (Super Bowl) came to fruition. 

Who was that wide open receiver?
Yes they couldn’t block an all time great DT on the last play of the SB but no way they get anywhere near that game without Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's debatable. Everything the naysayers said from Burrow being beat down, and injured, to the meme of Burrow on his back with a wide open receiver unable to make a play (Super Bowl) came to fruition. 

Burrow was beat down before the Chase selection. He wasn't beat down afterward. He had an appendix issue, he had a strained calf during a non-contact part of practice before the season opened, and then he had a freak wrist injury on a non-sack, non-tackle shove where he landed poorly. 

Fact is, the two years he was healthy, right after the Chase selection, the Bengals went to the Super Bowl and the AFCCC.  The debate is over on the Chase/Sewell issue. Time for posters to drop this.
Reply/Quote
Sustained success. 1 Super Bowl, or many (with a healthy QB set to play 15 years; not labeled or worried to be injury prone, and no Oline worries 4 years later).

As the meme stated it could have been any receiver for that last play. Either way the ball wasn't getting there.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Burrow was beat down before the Chase selection. He wasn't beat down afterward. He had an appendix issue, he had a strained calf during a non-contact part of practice before the season opened, and then he had a freak wrist injury on a non-sack, non-tackle shove where he landed poorly. 

Fact is, the two years he was healthy, right after the Chase selection, the Bengals went to the Super Bowl and the AFCCC.  The debate is over on the Chase/Sewell issue. Time for posters to drop this.

Burrow's knee was hurt that 2021 run, his ankle gave him issues in 2022, he's had injuries every year he's had to work around. He's got the injury prone label for a reason.

Reply/Quote

It's not debatable. Ja'Marr Chase in Cincinnati very pass heavy system is a better fit than Penei Sewell in a pass heavy system. What makes Penei Sewell special is the rush offensive that the Lions have built around him whivh would not have happened in Cincinnati.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:47 PM)Synric Wrote: It's not debatable. Ja'Marr Chase in Cincinnati very pass heavy system is a better fit than Penei Sewell in a pass heavy system. What makes Penei Sewell special is the rush offensive that the Lions have built around him whivh would not have happened in Cincinnati.

Like Detroit we could have built a run game in 4 years after the pick if we weren't wasting money and picks on a revolving door at Tackle. Spread some of that money out on upgrades at guard and center. Upgrades better than Cappa and an overrated Karras.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow's knee was hurt that 2021 run, his ankle gave him issues in 2022, he's had injuries every year he's had to work around. He's got the injury prone label for a reason.

Burrow hurt his knee in the 4th Q of the SB.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Burrow hurt his knee in the 4th Q of the SB.

His knee was hurt before the SB...he aggravated it during the SB

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Burrow hurt his knee in the 4th Q of the SB.

He hurt the knee AGAIN! Yes. But he was unable to finish the KC game in December due to struggling with the knee.. Remember the site of him limping off the field / on the field to shake hands after the game.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:45 PM)Nepa Wrote: Burrow was beat down before the Chase selection. He wasn't beat down afterward. He had an appendix issue, he had a strained calf during a non-contact part of practice before the season opened, and then he had a freak wrist injury on a non-sack, non-tackle shove where he landed poorly. 

Zac has addressed this. It was a tough decision and both were great. He said that Joe’s compatibility with Chase was the deciding factor. You are spot on here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: ... He's got the injury prone label for a reason.

He's only "injury prone" because he keeps getting blasted behind a bad O-line.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 02:00 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac has addressed this. It was a tough decision and both were great. He said that Joe’s compatibility with Chase was the deciding factor. You are spot on here.

How can you say he is spot on when they failed to speak on or even remember all the injuries Burrow has had since the pick? His claim of no injuries outside of the one's mentioned isn't spot on, it's fake news given the facts.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 01:47 PM)jj22 Wrote: Burrow's knee was hurt that 2021 run, his ankle gave him issues in 2022, he's had injuries every year he's had to work around. He's got the injury prone label for a reason.

cause the OL has been abysmal 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Give him two years. No guarantees in the second year. Draft an OT in round one. NT in round two and we are cooking boys.

Sounds good to me, even with the problems Trent had in New England he is much better than Becton even at his age.

Get it done.
Reply/Quote
I hope Trent Brown is a good fit. He's probably the most talented OT on the market this year.
Hopefully he can stay healthy.

As far as the draft this would open up the draft.
I agree that it would be ideal to take a great OT prospect in the 1st round.
I disagree that it has to be the pick.

I want to see the Bengals draft the best player available.
I don't want them to pass on an elite WR or CB or DT prospect to reach on an OT after a run on tackles.
The Bengals have made this mistake before and it set them back bigtime.
They missed out on some great players in the process.

Reaching for need is the best way to set the team back.
I like that the draft is deep in positions of need this year (OT and DT).
But you have to take the best player.
If it's a tie, you pick the best player at a position of need.
Obviously, it's a waste of a pick to take a QB high.
There should be great overlap of the best player being one of the following: OT, DT, WR, CB, or even TE where the Bengals pick.
Take the best player every round and they can have a good draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 02:07 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I hope Trent Brown is a good fit. He's probably the most talented OT on the market this year.
Hopefully he can stay healthy.

As far as the draft this would open up the draft.
I agree that it would be ideal to take a great OT prospect in the 1st round.
I disagree that it has to be the pick.

I want to see the Bengals draft the best player available.
I don't want them to pass on an elite WR or CB or DT prospect to reach on an OT after a run on tackles.
The Bengals have made this mistake before and it set them back bigtime.
They missed out on some great players in the process.

Reaching for need is the best way to set the team back.
I like that the draft is deep in positions of need this year (OT and DT).
But you have to take the best player.
If it's a tie, you pick the best player at a position of need.
Obviously, it's a waste of a pick to take a QB high.
There should be great overlap of the best player being one of the following: OT, DT, WR, CB, or even TE where the Bengals pick.
Take the best player every round and they can have a good draft.

Agreed, I want Fuaga or Latham, but if neither is there we shouldn't reach for a player like Mims or Guyton when player's
like Byron Murphy or Newton might be around. Same with Brian Thomas Jr at WR and Adonai Mitchell and others. Brock 
Bowers could also be the BPA even if I liked the addition of Gesicki. Getting a Corner early is never a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
Rappaport is reporting a one year deal for Brown

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1770136582604849639?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote