Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Jon Gruden..come to Cincinnati!
(11-09-2017, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As I've pointed out before, word on NFL radio was that Gruden was wrapping things up at the network in preparation to return to coaching. I think Cincy would be a perfect spot for him, the team is almost built, save for some offensive linemen. Plus, I think Cincy fans would give him a couple of years to get it together before coming down on him.
I saw an article that listed possible Bengals HCs for 2018:
1. Hue Jackson
2. Paul Guenther
3. Chris Peterson
4. Josh McDaniel
5. Marvin Lewis (most likely)

I will take 2 or 3 for two hundred, please.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 09:08 PM)treee Wrote: It probably was because Jay was here, but Jon has always been fair when analyzing the Bengals as an announcer. I think he recognizes the potential for success in the organization.

There's potential for success in the organization?

3 seasons have had atleast 1 playoff win in 49 years. I wouldn't exactly call that successful.
Reply/Quote
Gruden is not desperate enough to get into a situation where he's setup to fail, and the Bengals would never give him the kind of control he'd demand to take the job.
That simple.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 09:17 PM)Derrick Wrote: I saw an article that listed possible Bengals HCs for 2018:
1. Hue Jackson
2. Paul Guenther
3. Chris Peterson
4. Josh McDaniel

Vance Joseph might be looking.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
John Gruden would butt heads with Mike Brown way too often and would just get so frustrated that he would quit within a month.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 09:17 PM)Derrick Wrote: I saw an article that listed possible Bengals HCs for 2018:
1. Hue Jackson
2. Paul Guenther
3. Chris Peterson
4. Josh McDaniel

I wouldn't take hue back at this point but it seems likely...  Don't wanna see him match his success hes having in Cleveland here...

Guenter is the most likely choice.

Chirs Peterson is interesting I like it and its possible as he hes looking to jump to the pros

Josh McDaniel?  is he ready for round 2?

5...   Well I know history says its likely but given he was probly retiring after this year (hues succession plan)   I doubt it unless we fail to find another HC
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hey...he'd be my top pick as a HC too so I'd love it too.

Even if Gruden wanted to come, do you think the Bengals would be willing to shell out the money to get him. He makes $6.5 million a year as a commentator. Do you see MB paying a coach $9-10 million a year?

He might if he really wants for the fans to stick around.

He would lose lots of them if he does something stupid and keeps Marv and PA...

(11-09-2017, 03:18 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: His brother knows the inner workings of this organization. If it's anywhere near how the general public perceives it, his brother is telling him not to touch it with a 10 foot pole. 

Seriously, think about it and then let me know if "never say never" applies here. 

Eh, it is a HC position in the NFL. He has hinted at wanting to go back to coaching, it is what he loves.

We all know MB is cheap but this is still an NFL team and these jobs are coveted.

If we beef up the O-line this team would be right back in the Playoffs, might be only a few teams like this that just need a simple fix.

(11-09-2017, 04:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Next year will make 10 years. That said, Joe Gibbs and Dick Vermeil made successful returns after longer layoffs (I'm sure others have as well), so it's very possible. Plus Gruden is still only 54 years old. 5 years younger than Marvin. I think we can safely stop talking about him though. He's always a part of some rumor and I think he enjoys that, but I don't think he'll ever give up his lucrative (and much easier) current gig to coach...especially for friggin Mike Brown.

I'll get over Marv, I know I will.

Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He might if he really wants for the fans to stick around.

He would lose lots of them if he does something stupid and keeps Marv and PA...

Eh, it is a HC position in the NFL. He has hinted at wanting to go back to coaching, it is what he loves.

We all know MB is cheap but this is still an NFL team and these jobs are coveted.

If we beef up the O-line this team would be right back in the Playoffs, might be only a few teams like this that just need a simple fix.

Wink

We basically know how the Bengals will roll. They'll hire Guenther.

We'll have a high draft choice...they'd do a lot of marketing around this guy. We'll hear about how Ross will make an impact in Year 2 which is like an extra 1st Round pick.

We'll get a Comp Pick for Zeitler.

We'll draft a Center and Guard and hype them.

Fans will all be lathered up for the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We basically know how the Bengals will roll. They'll hire Guenther.

We'll have a high draft choice...they'd do a lot of marketing around this guy. We'll hear about how Ross will make an impact in Year 2 which is like an extra 1st Round pick.

We'll get a Comp Pick for Zeitler.

We'll draft a Center and Guard and hype them.

Fans will all be lathered up for the start of the season.

Yeah Pistons that is the most likely of circumstances true. Sad

Atleast Guenther knows that adjusting is a real thing, still want to clean house.

But if both Marv and PA are gone i will still be a fan. Got no other place to go. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah Pistons that is the most likely of circumstances true. Sad

Atleast Guenther knows that adjusting is a real thing, still want to clean house.

But if both Marv and PA are gone i will still be a fan. Got no other place to go. Mellow

Guenther has been with Lewis since around 2002. I think cleaning house is drastically needed.

IF we do make Guenther the HC...I'd like to see an all-new staff brought in.

Odds of this happening are small though.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 03:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Guenther has been with Lewis since around 2002. I think cleaning house is drastically needed.

IF we do make Guenther the HC...I'd like to see an all-new staff brought in.

Odds of this happening are small though.

Whoever it is they should be able to pick their own staff.

If not they are handcuffed once again and we are in the same boat.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whoever it is they should be able to pick their own staff.

If not they are handcuffed once again and we are in the same boat.

I fear they won't be given much autonomy at all. We desperately need someone to come in and make changes and upgrade some positions in free agency.

With Atkins/Dunlap/Dennard approaching free agency, you just know the Bengals aren't going to be aggressive signing guys.
Reply/Quote
Considering how lazy Brown can be, i wouldn't be surprised if he offers the HC position to Hue. Because Hue's black, Brown won't have to interview any other candidates thanks to the racist Rooney rule.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
If Cleveland fires Hugh and Cinci cans Marvin? If both teams were to go after Gruden, this would be the outcome.

[Image: eLWUAcx.gif] 

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, it is a HC position in the NFL. He has hinted at wanting to go back to coaching, it is what he loves.

True. But i don't know that Gruden can be put in the category of a guy that will take a job just because NFL coach. 

He's been around the block and can afford to be choosy.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 05:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True. But i don't know that Gruden can be put in the category of a guy that will take a job just because NFL coach. 

He's been around the block and can afford to be choosy.

That is also true, i am not getting my hopes up or anything but if this O-line is solidified this is a Playoff team.

As Pistons said in the Norwell thread, it is pretty damn simple on how to fix this team. Fix the damn O-line.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 08:34 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Yes, it seems like Marvin is mailing it in nowadays and that a change is needed, but I'm not so sure Gruden would be good. Is there any chance it could happen?

I'm not sure he would want to tarnish the legend, which many say is at least half myth anyway.  And if there's a place to wreck a legend, this would be it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I wouldn't take hue back at this point but it seems likely...  Don't wanna see him match his success hes having in Cleveland here...

Guenter is the most likely choice.

Chirs Peterson is interesting I like it and its possible as he hes looking to jump to the pros

Josh McDaniel?  is he ready for round 2?

5...   Well I know history says its likely but given he was probly retiring after this year (hues succession plan)   I doubt it unless we fail to find another HC

McDaniel would be a good choice but I would hope he kept Guenther. At least with Hue we know the continuity would stay on defense. That’s why I believe it’s

Hue or Guenther.

But all coaches contracts are up so maybe the team goes a fresh route.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 11:31 AM)Utts Wrote: Gruden is not desperate enough to get into a situation where he's setup to fail, and the Bengals would never give him the kind of control he'd demand to take the job.
That simple.

Gruden will be in Tampa if he is back in the league at all.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I just hope its a whole new staff next year. Id like to see them bring in somebody that has a more aggressive mindset. I really would like Frank Reich the OC for the Eagles. Pederson calls the plays there but Reich has had alot of success everywhere hes been. Rivers had some of his best years with Reich, and the eagles have looked great with him as the OC even though he is not calling the plays. Mike B. will like that he would be a 1st time head coach, so he wont have to pay him top coach money.

Id be all for Mcdaniel as well.
Reply/Quote