Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The QB position
I'm not sure where this discussion is headed.........

Many are making it way more complicated than need be.
1. Dalton is serviceable but nothing special.
2. We have no backup.
3. Deep draft for QBs.
4. Every other team in division addressed the position besides us.
5. Felt we should have also addressed it considering the points above as well as Dalton's potential contract moving forward.

Pretty reasonable approach yet the dalton lovers can't seem to even agree to this.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No need for the Andy Army to get their panties in a bunch. I was simply disputing the notion that if we lose our starting QB we are through anyway and provided sound evidence. But it is entertaining to see folks "not" make excuses why a back up QB had the best game at QB and got us closer to a playoff win than any QB in the last quarter century .

Again, I ask you: "what excuses"? 

As to your other point, I would say Dalton slightly overthrowing AJ Green for what would've been the game winning TD against the Texans in 2013 was closer to a playoff win, but I don't really care to argue the point. 

On a related note, I find it entertaining how the Dalton haters try to make it seem like AJM was the reason we "almost" won a playoff game or that he even played well in that game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 07:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm not sure where this discussion is headed.........

2. We have no backup.
3. Deep draft for QBs.
5. Felt we should have also addressed it considering the points above as well as Dalton's potential contract moving forward.

Pretty reasonable approach yet the dalton lovers can't seem to even agree to this.

Oh no! People disagree that the QB position should have been "addressed" in the draft! Whatever will we do?! I know, call them names 'cause THAT always works. Rolleyes

If you can't handle that not everyone will agree with everything you post, then maybe you shouldn't even be on the internet.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 07:51 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I'm not sure where this discussion is headed.........

2. We have no backup.
3. Deep draft for QBs.

so if every other team drafted a Kicker we should have too?   Flacco has been declining and grossly overpaid.
Ben has been comptemplating retirement.
Browns draft a QB every year.

Bengals DID draft a QB for Backup position competition...

whats the issue?

Dalton might not be the best in the business only 1 ever is.  But just 2 years ago he was in the running for MVP before our Team crumbled around him.

Investing a high draft pick in a QB would not help us much this season... or maybe even next.

Getting OL and Defensive starters does help us.

Additionally this was a WEAK QB class.
Reply/Quote

2. We have no backup.
3. Deep draft for QBs.

Not saying you are right or wrong but which specific QB would you have taken ?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No need for the Andy Army to get their panties in a bunch. I was simply disputing the notion that if we lose our starting QB we are through anyway and provided sound evidence. But it is entertaining to see folks "not" make excuses why a back up QB had the best game at QB and got us closer to a playoff win than any QB in the last quarter century .

Andy played better than McCarron that year with the exact same offense, and McCarron did not play well in the playoff game.

Seems like YOU are the one trying to make excuses.

The "McCarron is better than Andy" joke is finished.  Get over it.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 11:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: so if every other team drafted a Kicker we should have too?   Flacco has been declining and grossly overpaid.
Ben has been comptemplating retirement.
Browns draft a QB every year.

Bengals DID draft a QB for Backup position competition...

whats the issue?

Dalton might not be the best in the business only 1 ever is.  But just 2 years ago he was in the running for MVP before our Team crumbled around him.

Investing a high draft pick in a QB would not help us much this season... or maybe even next.

Getting OL and Defensive starters does help us.

Additionally this was a WEAK QB class.

Plus, how were we going to get one of these QBs from a supposedly deep QB class? We COULD have drafted Lamar Jackson but at the expense of getting a top center (a higher need). Whom else could we have reasonably gotten that would be worth whatever it would have taken to get? 

But, we're "dalton lovers". Clearly, our love for Dalton has clouded our minds. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy played better than McCarron that year with the exact same offense, and McCarron did not play well in the playoff game.

Why you making excuses for Andy, fred?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy played better than McCarron that year with the exact same offense, and McCarron did not play well in the playoff game.

We'll probably never hear the end of it, even as McCarron rots on the bench in Buffalo.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 12:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Plus, how were we going to get one of these QBs from a supposedly deep QB class? We COULD have drafted Lamar Jackson but at the expense of getting a top center (a higher need). Whom else could we have reasonably gotten that would be worth whatever it would have taken to get? 

But, we're "dalton lovers". Clearly, our love for Dalton has clouded our minds. Rolleyes

I'll add to this, people cried about wasting a 1st pick on Ross last year, now they wanted to waste a high pick on a QB, who wouldn't see the field for at least 2 years.....Got it.....
Reply/Quote

2. We have no backup.
3. Deep draft for QBs.

We have a back up, his name is Driskel!
Reply/Quote

Yeah the open market showed us who the better QB was, clearly. McCarron got backup money and ultimately, another backup gig.

(05-04-2018, 12:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Plus, how were we going to get one of these QBs from a supposedly deep QB class? We COULD have drafted Lamar Jackson but at the expense of getting a top center (a higher need). Whom else could we have reasonably gotten that would be worth whatever it would have taken to get? 

Right? I was actually kinda hoping for Rudolph (or Orlando Brown) with one of those 3rd round picks, even though I knew it'd lead to "Rudolph is a star in the making" threads.

The Steelers ended that. I didn't like Lamar Jackson...especially not at the cost of a stud center. Lauletta would've been the perfect guy to replace Mac IMO, but apparently the Bengals thought just as highly of Woodside as most of the QB's in this draft.

If we're talking McCarron replacement, I think a 3 way competition between Barkley, Woodside and Driskel should yield a decent backup.

If we're talking Dalton replacement, I wasn't big on this QB draft class. I didn't see any Luck or Wentz type here. In a few years, maybe I'll be dead wrong, but none of these guys jumped out at me like when I watched Wentz throw leading up to the 2016 draft. Not that Dalton needs replaced, but if we go that route, it'd better be a future MVP type of QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Anyone else see a comparison between Logan Woodside and Cody Kessler?
Shorter QB with good accuracy and decision making but not a great arm for downfield throws.
I think Woodside should have just as good of a chance to back up Dalton as Driskel or Barkley.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All the same stuff being said about Dalton was being said about Ken Anderson right before the Super Bowl season.

Let's see how Dalton can do this year with a running game and more legitimate targets than AJ.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Bengals don’t need a new quarterback.  The Bengals needed a center more than anything else and they got the best center in the draft with Billy Price.  The center is the cornerstone of the offensive line and with the worst offense in the NFL, Cincinnati did the smart thing in the first round.

Right.  I'd  LOVE to be so loaded we can draft a QB we won't USE....because...whatever.   Dalton is not old, sucky or crazy expensive.   Had we drafted a guy early.....he spends a few years as a costly spectator.  meanwhile OTHER needs don't get fixed.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 02:28 PM)bengals67 Wrote: All the same stuff being said about Dalton was being said about Ken Anderson right before the Super Bowl season.

Let's see how Dalton can do this year with a running game and more legitimate targets than AJ.

Wasn't it the same season we went to the SB, in the 1st game Kenny was getting booed and Gregg pulled him for Schonert and won the game? Gregg was wise to start Kenny the game and we never looked backed or took our foot off the pedal.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:22 PM)Domata94 Wrote: We did draft a QB... Logan Woodside. Maybe not elite, but I didn't see a great opportunity to take an early round QB (Lamar Jackson was available in round 1, but Pittsburgh jumped in front of us in round 3 for Rudolph).

Listen to this,after the first qbs were drafted,what was left was not even as good as what we got.If Dalton finally realizes he has a top Oline he will stop running to his left and tossing the ball out of bounds.if he doesn't he should be benched.the guy that broke his arm and is recovering is a really good qb and he can and will win games,in fact there is some of his game I like better than ADs.quit worrying we will be okay.Their is also of qbs out there sitting at home that can still play and our staff knows who they are and besides next year in 2019 there is some top qbs coming out that are way better and we will probably draft andys replacement then.We are stuck with him for this year and he HAS to have a pro-bowl year if we are going to win and make the playoffs.I believe our biggest challenge in afc north is ravens.They had an excellent draft and are our biggest enemies.I think someone is going to take big ben out and he will be hurt this season.These newly drafted qbs are going to have a tough year and the only one that we have to worry about is lamar Jackson who is insane.If he continues to run in the nfl he will be on ir.
Reply/Quote
Dry your eyes and show me where I have ever said AJM is a better QB than Andy Dalton. I simply said a back up QB played a better playoff game (passer rating is universally used unless folks are trying to make excuses) and got us closer to a playoff victory than any Bengal QB did in over a quarter of a century.

This was in reply to the notion of "If the starter goes down, we're done". But somehow, someway this led to hating of Andy and thinking AJM is a better QB. Some folks need to pull the fat heads off the wall and get a little perspective.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 04:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dry your eyes and show me where I have ever said AJM is a better QB than Andy Dalton. I simply said a back up QB played a better playoff game (passer rating is universally used unless folks are trying to make excuses) and got us closer to a playoff victory than any Bengal QB did in over a quarter of a century.

For the 3rd time, where are the excuses?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 08:56 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Okay so I'm sitting here and overall pretty content with the NFL Draft and how things went with one exception.  How do we not draft a QB (besides pick #249) in such a deep class?  Every team in our division drafted a QB even in the case of a Pittsburgh who has an elite one already.  

Smart teams plan for the future. Dalton is serviceable but are we willing to pay him 20-25 million per year and continue to stay average at the position?  I thought the Ravens made a brilliant move in drafting Lamar Jackson....have him learn behind Flacco for a few year and see where things end up 3 years from now. Do they really want to give Flacco 25 million a year with the way he's playing? The same question can be posed for Andy......

Every off season we sit here and argue about Andy. I think most of us can come to the consensus that he's not terrible or great and that for the contract he's worth it....but that shouldn't preclude you from attempting to solidify/upgrade the position for the future especially with the way the QBs are getting paid.

Cause Dalton is not the problem. Lamar Jackson reminds me of our backup, Jeff Driskel honestly.

Driskel just has a smoother throwing motion and is better passing out of the pocket right now.

Not scared of Lamar Jackson at all honestly, he reminds me of a worse RG3, cause he is not near as good
throwing out of the pocket as RG3 was. Rudolph on the other hand was a nice pick by the Stealers sadly.

I might of been okay with taking a QB somewhere around the 4th round though, but i don't even know
who was around. After Rudolph i really didn't care for any of the QB's that were left. The O-line and the
Defense were what needed to be helped this Draft, not the QB position.
Reply/Quote