Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus
(03-20-2020, 02:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: It’s still the flu.  Not all strains are covered in your annual flu shot.  Getting the flu sucks.....for everyone.  No one wants the flu.  If your 90 years old, getting Influena A pry isn’t in your best interest.  Why don’t we shut the country down every fly season?

Because flu's mortality rate doesn't even come close to covids 1-3% mortality rate.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-20-2020, 09:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: New York’s positive cases increased from 700 to over 8,000 from Sunday through today mostly due to increased testing. That gives us an idea how prevalent it is.

That and the fact that there's like 8 million people packed into the small land that New York City occupies. I'm assuming of course that NYC is the majority of the states current confirmed cases?
Little Italian market near me came in clutch. Open past 10pm and no one in there. Got some pork chops, chicken, and beef as well as a tiramisu and cannolis.

Buono!

Keep shopping local, small business.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-20-2020, 11:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Little Italian market near me came in clutch. Open past 10pm and no one in there. Got some pork chops, chicken, and beef as well as a tiramisu and cannolis.

Buono!

I have heard a lot of people saying shop at local markets. Walmart, Bi-Lo, Ingles are all packed and empty. Chinese markets are full of stock and no one there.

Also heard go to Home Depot to get your toilet paper lol
(03-21-2020, 12:08 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote:  I have heard a lot of people saying shop at local markets. Walmart, Bi-Lo, Ingles are all packed and empty. Chinese markets are full of stock and no one there.

For sure. We have five large asian grocery stores in a 3 mile stretch because we have a large Korean and Muslim population. 

Also, spot on with Home Depot. My wife is a manager for a local family owned ACE hardware co-op and they have all of the essentials. TP, hand sanitizer, wipes, etc. The owner stocked up to make sure people in the area had enough. They normally don't sell it because the margin is so low, but they have a lot of elderly customers and wanted to make sure they had a place to get all that stuff. They're trying to keep the prices low for them. 

They started doing deliveries too because of all of this.

Something I think has been vastly understated is the possible psychological effects this virus may create even after it settles down. There are going to be a lot fewer people willing to make investments in many things fearing another pandemic or even other natural catastrophes such as hurricanes, earthquakes and the like. Many people are going to remember panic buying of toilet paper, how the meat sections of groceries were wiped out overnight and other effects and extreme inconveniences in our daily lives.
Suppose for a moments you had used all your life savings to open a new restaurant back in January for example. Well, that life savings is wiped out for good in most instances. I suspect we'll hear of several life savings wiped out, but it's going to have a long term effect of making people afraid to dump their savings in to new ventures. We'll never quite know when the next event may strike and how severe it may be. If we're really lucky we won't have another for a long time, but I wouldn't count on it.
We seem to go long periods with no real catastrophic events occurring and people tend to become complacent and we then decide we no longer have to pay taxes out to support certain preparedness procedures. One that comes to mind might be fall out shelters. Now we haven't had a nuclear war, but there was a time when fallout shelters were fairly common around town. I remember them all over the Dayton area as a kid, but no nuclear wars and all those shelters disappeared over time. if we suddenly needed them again we've become very complacent over such worries. That doesn't mean there's no possibilities of a nuclear war and I'm not suggesting we suddenly build those shelters, but we have seen many hospitals in the past few decades go tits up with little to no funding to build new hospitals. I remember about 5-6 hospitals in Dayton not long ago. I don't live in Dayton anymore, but do know both St E's (Saint Elizabeth) and Good Samaritan hospitals are now gone. It's part of the pattern we see of funding for things to prepare us for hard times drying up to the point that when we need these things they're no longer there.
Good thing for the Dayton area the dams build back after the 1913 floods are still there, but imagine if for some reason the funding to maintain them just dried up or some investor wanted that land to build condos or some nonsense on the sites..
Anyway, I think the psychological effects of this virus will be felt for some time long after it's died down.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(03-21-2020, 12:08 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote:  I have heard a lot of people saying shop at local markets. Walmart, Bi-Lo, Ingles are all packed and empty. Chinese markets are full of stock and no one there.

My wife shops fairly regularly in Asian grocery stores in the area even before the virus. When the big box stores were wiped out she knew where to go to find a lot of everyday items. We're well stocked in dried beans of all kinds, rice and other items. While I'm not a huge fan of dried beans on a daily basis I certainly wouldn't say some stupid sh*t like, "I'd rather starve to death instead of eating (insert your least favorite bean).." Fact is before I'd starve to death I'd be perfectly content to eat the neighbors cat and dog if push came to shove. I also purchased a bunch of flour sack rags at Walmart awhile back so if toilet paper becomes extinct for all intents and purposes I can quickly use and reuse flour sack rags in lieu of toilet paper. It might not be fun to wash them, but they're still washable and reusable in the same way cloth diapers were washed and reused before disposable diapers..My kids grew up with cloth diapers.. Toilet paper? Not so much..

By the way, this is the perfect time to go picking dandelion greens and other greens before they become tough and bitter. Get em early in the spring before the hoards are out stealing your yard.. LOL Maple tree leaves when they're fresh and tender are edible as are other leaves Maple seed pods in the early fall are also edible... Another one you can eat is the leaves of beech trees before they get tough..I live to far south for those leaves, but they do grow up in Ohio and other northern states about this time of the year. There's still nut trees in most areas come late fall..Those big, black walnuts are nice and tasty and up north there are always tons of mulberries and they also make a wicked wine if you're so inclined.. I made mulberry wine a few years back and my grandkids even got on a nice buzz from it..and real quick,,No need to individually pick mulberries. Just lay a big sheet of plastic under the branches and shake them hard. You can get a 5 gallon bucket of mulberries in no time at all...3-4 minutes of tree shaking can yield plenty of berries., but you might want to pick out the sticks and bugs afterwards..The bugs have protein, but probably not to tasty..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(03-20-2020, 11:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Little Italian market near me came in clutch. Open past 10pm and no one in there. Got some pork chops, chicken, and beef as well as a tiramisu and cannolis.

Buono!

My local Arab run gas station has the hook-up for toilet paper...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I went to my local Kroger today to pick up a few items I wanted, bananas, fruit etc and to see how things are going. They are doing a pretty decent job keeping the store stocked. They even had a pallet of toilet paper and people were not rushing to get it so I think that is settling down a bit.

They had a decent amount of produce and plenty of ground beef and pork items. But the frozen chicken was all out of stock aside from a few bags of chicken wings. A lot of other frozen foods were gone like potpies and TV dinners aside from some of the more expensive brands. They had a decent amount of canned vegetables, corn, green beans, and spinach. Also plenty of cartons of eggs but limited to 2 per person.

The canned meat aisle was barren aside from cans of Skyline. I think they have a distribution center near here so that is probably why it is in stock. All the packages of pasta were gone but plenty of jars of pasta sauce. The dog food aisle was surprisingly low. I'm glad I bought enough a few weeks ago for my dog to last a few months.

Overall I think the grocery stores, at least near me, are doing a great job to keep the supply going. I have to give a thumbs up to all the people working there as well as the truck drivers, etc. that are working hard to keep food and other necessary items on the shelves. I'm sure it isn't an easy task these days. Having a ready supply of food and other necessities is something many take for granted. We probably don't spend much time thinking about the people that work hard to make that happen.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
My two smaller local stores (Kroger, Walmart) are off of the main drag and seem to have a lot more than the bigger mega-sized stores. I've not once seen either out of toilet paper. Meat gets cleaned out periodically, but they re-stock quick.

The only item I've had trouble getting is disinfecting wipes/lysol. I have a decent inventory, but I'm begging to wonder if they just can't make it fast enough due to the rapid spike in demand. Oh well, I have plenty of bleach if things don't change.
My usual grocery store was wiped out of a few things we wanted for our weekly trip. I went to Kroger later on and filled in the gaps. No one has toilet paper, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
No fast food drive thrus for me. All home cooking this week. Kick your shoes off when you enter your place. I guess you could track it around. Still sounds like keeping social distance and washing your hands is the best defense.
Really, and in all seriousness, I wish we had a real leader in this country right now.

His "updates" are mini-rallies where he has no idea what is going on.  At least when Fauci is there he's not afraid to tell the truth.

Not sure how long he can hang on before Trump announces that he "stepped down" and "thanks him for his service.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/?mbid=social_facebook&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Quote:The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming
Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, who warned of pandemic in 2006, says we can beat the novel coronavirus—but first, we need lots more testing.
[Image: Science_LarryBrilliant-547175256.jpg]

LARRY BRILLIANT SAYS he doesn’t have a crystal ball. But 14 years ago, Brilliant, the epidemiologist who helped eradicate smallpox, spoke to a TED audience and described what the next pandemic would look like. At the time, it sounded almost too horrible to take seriously. “A billion people would get sick," he said. “As many as 165 million people would die. There would be a global recession and depression, and the cost to our economy of $1 to $3 trillion would be far worse for everyone than merely 100 million people dying, because so many more people would lose their jobs and their health care benefits, that the consequences are almost unthinkable.”

Now the unthinkable is here, and Brilliant, the Chairman of the board of Ending Pandemics, is sharing expertise with those on the front lines. We are a long way from 100 million deaths due to the novel coronavirus, but it has turned our world upside down. Brilliant is trying not to say “I told you so” too often. But he did tell us so, not only in talks and writings, but as the senior technical advisor for the pandemic horror film Contagion, now a top streaming selection for the homebound. Besides working with the World Health Organization in the effort to end smallpox, Brilliant, who is now 75, has fought flu, polio, and blindness; once led Google’s nonprofit wing, Google.org; co-founded the conferencing system the Well; and has traveled with the Grateful Dead.

We talked by phone on Tuesday. At the time, President Donald Trump’s response to the crisis had started to change from “no worries at all” to finally taking more significant steps to stem the pandemic. Brilliant lives in one of the six Bay Area counties where residents were ordered to shelter in place. When we began the conversation, he’d just gotten off the phone with someone he described as high government official, who asked Brilliant “How the f did we get here?” I wanted to hear how we’ll get out of here. 

The conversation has been edited and condensed.

Please read...
Solid work from the Biden media team on this one

I gotta say, I'm with AOC on this one:

[Image: pzpj6awy86o41.jpg]

Absolute bullshit that Senators balk at passing legislation to make such a thing happen and then do this. "Please help us continue the charade that capitalism in this country isn't all about the trampling on the well being of the workers in this country!"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-22-2020, 02:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Absolute bullshit that Senators balk at passing legislation to make such a thing happen and then do this. "Please help us continue the charade that capitalism in this country isn't all about the trampling on the well being of the workers in this country!"

I tells ya, if hell is real I'm going there for buying so much inessential crap from Amazon.
(03-22-2020, 11:49 AM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/?mbid=social_facebook&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Please read...

I thought I read that our worldwide funding did not actually stop and that congress did actually appropriate the money in September before it ran out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

OANN is not a "reliable source" for ANYTHING.

Seriously people are stupid.

Dewine just layed off a few million more people saying everyone has to make sacrifices. Still waiting on the sacrifices from all the people making these decisions for us.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall