Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus
(04-27-2020, 12:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So the guy who claimed funds and supplies are the same three days ago is now attempting to claim a game changing drug and a miracle drug are different?

That’s some Skip Bayless level shit right there.

As always valuable input but unfortunately as too often happens off the mark.

I was replying to Dino say 'What can it hurt", dude chimed in and said what Trump said was "game changer" I simply pointed out that was not the tagline Dino shared when he stated Trump said it was a miracle drug and perhaps he should correct Dino and not me. Of course no correction was submitted.

As to my "claims" look no furhter than a dictionairy
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fund
Quote:an available quantity of material or intangible resources : supply

Thanks for chiming in and name calling.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I live in a Cincinnati suburb. I went out yesterday to look at a job. Judging just by the amount of traffic I encountered, it sure looks like people have had enough of staying home.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

I don't think any Republican stands for what they actually say anymore.

Maybe it was "sarcasm".   Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Just came across info thought id share. It appears based off of studies in France and Italy Cigarette smoking actually increase your chances of not catching virus. only 1.3 percent of total cases in US are of current smokers. I'm not recommending anyone to start smoking but if you currently smoke no reason to quit.
(04-27-2020, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As always valuable input but unfortunately as too often happens off the mark.

I was replying to Dino say 'What can it hurt", dude chimed in and said what Trump said was "game changer" I simply pointed out that was not the tagline Dino shared when he stated Trump said it was a miracle drug and perhaps he should correct Dino and not me. Of course no correction was submitted.

As to my "claims" look no furhter than a dictionairy
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fund

Thanks for chiming in and name calling.

If I gave you funds to buy PPE vs. if I gave you supplies of PPE only you would argue funds and supplies are the same thing based upon a definition that doesn’t apply to the context in which the words were used in order to fill the next 30-60 minutes with an asinine argument just for the sake of arguing for the next 30-60 minutes. Comparing what you do and what Skip Bayless does isn’t name calling, it’s a comparison. Feel free to look up the definition.

As to the stupid tag line argument, WTF are you even arguing about this time?
(04-28-2020, 12:07 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Just came across info thought id share. It appears based off of studies in France and Italy Cigarette smoking actually increase your chances of not catching virus. only 1.3 percent of total cases in US are of current smokers. I'm not recommending anyone to start smoking but if you currently smoke no reason to quit.

LOL.  Early reports out of China claimed that most of the deaths in Wuhan were older males due to the fact that a high percentage of older Chinese men smoke.

I'm no MD, but I have a tough time envisioning a scenario where inhaling smoke prevents you from getting the virus.  
(04-27-2020, 07:04 PM)McC Wrote: I live in a Cincinnati suburb.  I went out yesterday to look at a job.  Judging just by the amount of traffic I encountered, it sure looks like people have had enough of staying home.

I got stuck in traffic driving to get groceries today.  The post office near the Kroger I go to had a nearly full lot.  If. second wave doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of opportunity.
(04-28-2020, 12:07 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Just came across info thought id share. It appears based off of studies in France and Italy Cigarette smoking actually increase your chances of not catching virus. only 1.3 percent of total cases in US are of current smokers. I'm not recommending anyone to start smoking but if you currently smoke no reason to quit.

Yeah,I'd have to see the experimental design on that one. I highly doubt there could be a substantial causal link there. In addition, smoking would make one more susceptible to requiring a ventilator because of the damage done to the lungs and it would likely result in a higher mortality rate for smokers.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-28-2020, 08:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah,I'd have to see the experimental design on that one. I highly doubt there could be a substantial causal link there. In addition, smoking would make one more susceptible to requiring a ventilator because of the damage done to the lungs and it would likely result in a higher mortality rate for smokers.

I'm having trouble believing it as well. Apparently nicotine attaches to the same points of entry in your lungs that the virus tries to so nicotine acts as a inhibitor. All frontline workers in Italy and France are being required to use nicotine patches
(04-28-2020, 01:53 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm having trouble believing it as well. Apparently nicotine attaches to the same points of entry in your lungs that the virus tries to so nicotine acts as a inhibitor. All frontline workers in Italy and France are being required to use nicotine patches

Yeah, that is an even more specious idea. Nicotine, if not smoked, isn't going to attach to your lungs. Nicotine doesn't hang out in the lungs but enters the bloodstream an travels throughout the body and interacts most with neural receptors.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-28-2020, 12:43 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If I gave you funds to buy PPE vs. if I gave you supplies of PPE only you would argue funds and supplies are the same thing based upon a definition that doesn’t apply to the context in which the words were used in order to fill the next 30-60 minutes with an asinine argument just for the sake of arguing for the next 30-60 minutes. Comparing what you do and what Skip Bayless does isn’t name calling, it’s a comparison. Feel free to look up the definition.

As to the stupid tag line argument, WTF are you even arguing about this time?

I think personal bias leads you to take exception with the person rather than the point.

Bels and I were having a discussion about Trump only sending aid to "people he likes" and I replied "I didn't know he was such a fan of NY and Cali as he has sent them funds" instead of acknowledging that Trump has sent aid (perhaps the most to any states) to 2 states he "doesn't like". So instead of conceding the point, Bels "outstanding" retort was "He sent supplies not funds". I simply pointed out that supplies can be considered funds and it says so right in the dictionary. I then suggested it was best to end the back and forth because no ground was going to be conceded no matter how reasoned the reply. 

So you take exception with one pointing to the semantics of funds versus supplies more so than the acknowledging the overall point. So much like my back and forth with Bels this one has ran it's course.

Do you call me Skip Bayless as a complement? Yes or no will suffice.

Let's stop with the snark, name calling, arguing over incorrect dictionary definitions, and other bullshit.

This forum was doing great for a number of weeks and it's not one person's fault. The attitudes of many has changed in the last few days. I'm not perfect either, but I've enjoyed the civility. Let's go back to that instead of regressing.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Trump is slowly moving into "nobody ever told me...it's not my fault" again.

It would be nice if they would lead by example...but I don't think they are smart enough to do that.

(04-28-2020, 02:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think personal bias leads you to take exception with the person rather than the point.

Bels and I were having a discussion about Trump only sending aid to "people he likes" and I replied "I didn't know he was such a fan of NY and Cali as he has sent them funds" instead of acknowledging that Trump has sent aid (perhaps the most to any states) to 2 states he "doesn't like". So instead of conceding the point, Bels "outstanding" retort was "He sent supplies not funds". I simply pointed out that supplies can be considered funds and it says so right in the dictionary. I then suggested it was best to end the back and forth because no ground was going to be conceded no matter how reasoned the reply. 

Go try to spend PPE supplies to buy ventilators.  But, you already understand the distinction you're just looking for something to argue about.

Quote:So you take exception with one pointing to the semantics of funds versus supplies more so than the acknowledging the overall point. So much like my back and forth with Bels this one has ran it's course.

Matt made an observation about how aid was distributed to the states by the federal government which most likely prompted your funds vs. supplies smoke and mirrors tangent.

Quote:Do you call me Skip Bayless as a complement? Yes or no will suffice.

If I see the color blue and say "that looks blue" it is neither a compliment or an insult. It's an observation.  A comparison.  Like I wrote, feel free to look up the definition. If you feel insulted by comparing your arguments to Skip Bayless' arguments that's because of your bias towards Skip Bayless, not mine.

So what's your complaint about a tagline?
(04-28-2020, 04:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Go try to spend PPE supplies to buy ventilators.  But, you already understand the distinction you're just looking for something to argue about.

Matt made an observation about how aid was distributed to the states by the federal government which most likely prompted your funds vs. supplies smoke and mirrors tangent.

If I see the color blue and say "that looks blue" it is neither a compliment or an insult. It's an observation.  A comparison.  Like I wrote, feel free to look up the definition. If you feel insulted by comparing your arguments to Skip Bayless' arguments that's because of your bias towards Skip Bayless, not mine.

So what's your complaint about a tagline?

Yes and Trump distributed more aid to NY and Cali than any other states. Go back and read and you'll see who made a deal of funds versus supplies. I wasn't argueing about anything; nor was I the one that decided to turn to semantics. I simply pointed out the assertion that Trump provided aid/funds/supplies/(whatever the f- word you want to use) based on favorites was flawed. 

As I said yes or no would suffice for you Bayless tagline but I knew it was asking too much. 

WTS, I tried. The first thing I did when I rejoined this forum was applaud your input, but just like prior to vacation I'm done discussing matters with you. As I said it's the Scorpion and the Frog

Just curious what the Liberal thinks of this article:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-coronavirus-maskwearing-orders-leave-black-americans-facing-a-tough-decision-171735033.html
Quote:The coronavirus pandemic has created life-and-death dilemmas for people all over the globe — and a particularly devastating one for black men living in America: Wear a mask for protection against COVID-19? Or go without one, simply to lower the risk of being perceived as a criminal?

I will say, I laughed at the irony today when I had to put a mask on (bandanna) before I could go into the liquor store.

(04-28-2020, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just curious what the Liberal thinks of this article:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-coronavirus-maskwearing-orders-leave-black-americans-facing-a-tough-decision-171735033.html

I will say, I laughed at the irony today when I had to put a mask on (bandanna) before I could go into the liquor store.

I think that a black person definitely has less reason to just laugh about that.
(04-28-2020, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just curious what the Liberal thinks of this article:

I’m not in a position to comment with any sort of authority on what’s it’s like to be a black man, but after seeing a black doctor handcuffed outside his house while unloading supplies for the homeless from his car, I get it. Same with the video of the guys being trailed by the cop at Walmart who told them they couldn’t wear masks. Seeing so many masked white dudes protest with AR’s (is that the correct term for those compensation toys?) protest stay at home orders with little to no resistance probably doesn’t help build trust.

Nancy with the zinger

“He makes a big fuss about my having ice cream in my freezer ... I have ice cream in my freezer. I guess that’s better than having Lysol in somebody’s lungs, as he was suggesting.”

This is the world that we live in.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/28/pelosi-ice-cream-217103?fbclid=IwAR1bDPLMYxi285BPc89yRvOdIR-O5Cg16G3YZNuEqgksGUEUqBzAF3w1HEM