Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
AJ Green Signing Deadline
(07-15-2020, 11:13 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: What happens if he doesn't? Does that make him a FA immediately?

No he will not be a FA if he doesn't sign the franchise tag today. It just means that the team will not be able to sign him to a multi-year deal this season.

He'll only become a free agent this year if the Bengals withdraw the tag.

I believe the options are:

1. He signs the tag and plays for the Bengals in 2020
2. He doesn't sign the tag and sits out the 2020 season and becomes a free agent at the start of the 2021 season
3. The Bengals trade him
4. Another team signs him and has to fork over 2 first round picks to the Bengals (which will not happen)

Option 1 is what will happen as long as there is a 2020 season.

If there isn't a 2020 season or an abbreviated season then who knows what will happen.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 12:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe. The only issue is if a season doesn't occur at all, or a severely shortened one, it could have catastrophic impacts on the cap and in turn cause a reset of contract values. Even spreading the shortfall over multiple seasons would result in a far flatter than projected cap situation than anyone had planned for. With AJ's age, I am surprised he didn't take the stability of a contract over the unknown of the current situation. I do wonder if the team pulled back their offer in light of everything going on.

If that was the case, then he would have signed the FT the second the Bengals jerked the long term deal off the deal.  That way, he would be covered for next year if the season gets cancelled. If the Bengals pull the FT because they're worried about the season being cancelled and being stuck with AJ's $18 mil FT next year with a flat or possibly reduced salary cap, he will basically be another year older and will not have played for 2-1/2 years.  He will have zero leverage and no chance at a decent multi year deal.

The other possibility is that despite what he says, he just doesn't want to be here anymore.  
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 01:18 PM)spidey Wrote: After listening to Pat Kirwen, Mixon can't even miss a practice.  Under the new CBA, if he holds out for 1 practice, he doesn't accrue the year and the fines that come with holding out cannot be lifted either.  There's no chance that he'll hold out.

That’s up for debate. The language in the new CBA references holdouts by those on a “veteran contract”. Many believe that language excludes players on their rookie deals such as Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 01:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: That’s up for debate. The language in the new CBA references holdouts by those on a “veteran contract”. Many believe that language excludes players on their rookie deals such as Mixon.

I've heard others besides Kirwin breaking it down on Sirius. All agree he has no leverage. He's posturing or his agent is an imbecile.
Reply/Quote
AJ will most likely sign his one year deal at the last possible moment, he is not happy. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 01:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: That’s up for debate. The language in the new CBA references holdouts by those on a “veteran contract”. Many believe that language excludes players on their rookie deals such as Mixon.

I don't know what the official interpretation is, but it makes since to give guys on their rookie contracts a little more leeway.  I'd guess that 90% of the guys who are out performing their contracts by a wide margin are guys on their rookie contracts.

Also a veteran free agent has the right to shop around and get whatever he can.  He might end up outperforming that contract but at least he got the most the market would pay at the time. A draft pick has to take whatever one team offers or not play at all. 

The rules may not be perfect, but they are 100% better than they were when almost every first round pick would hold out for part or all of training camp and high first round picks would get more money than all the proven vets in the league.  That shit used to drive me crazy.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 03:28 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: AJ will most likely sign his one year deal at the last possible moment, he is not happy. Oh well.

He is 32 and coming off two injury riddled seasons; what do you expect the Bengals to do?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 12:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The bolded above is a huge intangible. Call me crazy, but I don't see the season being played until 2021. If so, it could have huge cap hit for players. Agents have to be concerned as cap is based on TV revenue. No season = no TV.

The NFLPA is pushing for no reduction in the 2021 Salary Cap. They are trying to get the league to push the loss of revenue over a period of several years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 04:19 PM)J24 Wrote: He is 32 and coming off two injury riddled seasons; what do you expect the Bengals to do?

I meant the "Oh Well" for AJ. The Bengals are doing the right thing with Green, see if he can still produce, even then I wouldn't give him too big of an extension because of his age and recent injury history and I've said as much in prior threads. AJ ,IMHO, should be happy to get the almost 20 mil. he's getting with the tag, but he's not, he wants a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 04:29 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote:  AJ ,IMHO, should be happy to get the almost 20 mil. he's getting with the tag, but he's not, he wants a long term deal.

I am pretty sure he could have gotten a long term deal with less than $18 million (or whatever the FT is) in guaranteed money.

I am sure he would like to have a long term deal here, but the guaranteed money was the most important part.  And no one can blame Green.  It is exactly the same way with every other franchised player in the league.
Reply/Quote

Maybe but Kirwen named Mixon as well as few others when he was stating that they have no leverage and won't hold out as they would not accrue this season if they did.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 04:28 PM)Synric Wrote: The NFLPA is pushing for no reduction in the 2021 Salary Cap. They are trying to get the league to push the loss of revenue over a period of several years.

I read that as well.

I am pushing my wife for a new car, my guess is her push back will win.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Was Green the player offered?

It would make a lot of sense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jags-turned-down-deal-for-ngakoue-that-included-a-pro-bowler

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 12:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The one difference in situations, is Mixon has said he will sit out the season if he doesn’t get a new deal.

False. Mixon himself never said that. There have been rumblings in the media that he might hold out, but never anything from him one way or another. 

Reporters speculate all the time, we all know that. And sometimes fans take "Mixon might" as "Mixon said he will." 
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 07:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Was Green the player offered?

It would make a lot of sense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jags-turned-down-deal-for-ngakoue-that-included-a-pro-bowler

Actually it makes no sense at all because we can't trade Green.  He is not under contract.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it makes no sense at all because we can't trade Green.  He is not under contract.

Yannick Ngakoue isn't under contract yet either but the Jaguars are still receiving trade offers because like AJ Green he is tied to the team even if he doesn't sign the Franchise Tag.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it makes no sense at all because we can't trade Green.  He is not under contract.

You just love to create drama Fred. Why?

Neither player has signed their tag so I assuming said player if AJ had agreed to a trade. Maybe it was hoping Jax. would offer him 2 or 3 year deal.

So back to why it makes sense, Dunlap is aging and not a pro bowler in my opinion so an upgrade. Jax has a guy who says he will sit out so to get a former pro bowl WR makes sense for them. But, if it was Green, it did not happen anyway so we will never know if Green or someone else.

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 07:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You just love to create drama Fred. Why?

Neither player has signed their tag so I assuming said player if AJ had agreed to a trade. Maybe it was hoping Jax. would offer him 2 or 3 year deal.

So back to why it makes sense, Dunlap is aging and not a pro bowler in my opinion so an upgrade. Jax has a guy who says he will sit out so to get a former pro bowl WR makes sense for them. But, if it was Green, it did not happen anyway so we will never know if Green or someone else.

Dunlap is more than adequate as a DE. And we are paying him a salary of 13.5 million/year.  We also have Hubbard, Lawson, and rookie Kareem that need reps or they will never get better. Getting another big name DE would set us back imo.

It always seems like whenever a big FA name is thrown around people post about how we need that guy. But chasing past performance and big stars is not the best way to invest... or build a team.

If you are going to spend $. Spend money on areas of need. Not replace good players and waste cap money unnecessarily with trying to trade and make these big names work.

And even if it was Green...

Star WR for rookie QB > overloading talent at DL when the rest of the defense can't hold it's own....

Edit: Just looking at sacks both DEs are pretty close so you aren't upgrading to get a sack monster. And with passes knocked down Dunlap > Ngakoue...
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 03:28 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: AJ will most likely sign his one year deal at the last possible moment, he is not happy. Oh well.

Exactly. Oh well.

A J isn’t the assets he once was. Very disappointing imho.
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2020, 09:24 PM)BengalB Wrote: Exactly. Oh well.

A J isn’t the assets he once was. Very disappointing imho.

We have no idea what he is at this point. I’m certainly not writing him off yet. With a new QB, and well rested body he could come back strong.

Reply/Quote