Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(08-05-2020, 10:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a reason many stay out of PnR and you are currently displaying it. 

Didn’t you opine conservatives had been run off by a cabal of liberal moderators? Make up your mind.

This is the place to discuss the coronavirus, not Jungle Noise. I keep trying to discuss the misinformation here so threads don’t get locked there and they avoid it like the plague.

I’m sure Mer appreciates you, what did you call it? White knighting? Yeah. Well, I’m sure he appreciates it.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 12:09 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Didn’t you opine conservatives had been run off by a cabal of liberal moderators? Make up your mind.

This is the place to discuss the coronavirus, not Jungle Noise. I keep trying to discuss the misinformation here so threads don’t get locked there and they avoid it like the plague.

I’m sure Mer appreciates you, what did you call it? White knighting?  Yeah. Well, I’m sure he appreciates it.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2020, 09:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump has attended 1 pandemic task force meeting since April. He has golfed 18 times since Memorial Day.

And that's one more than Obama has attended!

Mellow
Reply/Quote
So, a couple of notable things, recently. The Trump campaign had their Twitter account banned and Facebook removed content from Trump's page for sharing a video that made a false claim related to COVID-19: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53673797

Now, there are doubtless those that will claim this is bias, but Trump made an objectively false claim in that interview, and spreading that disinformation is both harmful and against the community guidelines on both of those sites.

The other thing is something Virginia did that is a first in the country. Virginia Department of Health released an app, yesterday, called COVIDWISE. https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/08/05/899414953/virginia-unveils-app-to-aid-contact-tracing

Developed from both Apple and Google, it utilizes Bluetooth to store data about devices that you come in contact with and for how long. Then, if a person tests positive for COVID they can enter that positive test in the app using a special key, then every phone with the app that was in contact with them in the two-weeks prior are notified that they could have been in contact with someone and what to do next. It doesn't use GPS services, doesn't know who you are. It all work anonymously because all that is important is contact with other users. It is also completely voluntary, but if use could help tremendously in contact tracing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 01:18 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2768767

Quote: Wearing masks, either medical or fabric, was associated with reduced face-touching behavior, especially touching of the eyes, nose, and mouth.

If masks increase our behaviors that increase our risk of infection such as face touching, why do you think they are part of our infection control protocols for respiratory droplets and aerosols?

Because they don’t make us touch our face more often. In fact, they remind us not to touch our face.
Reply/Quote
I trust the doctors, with the understanding that things are subject to change as they learn more about the virus. That's just the nature of things.

I do not trust a word out of the White House.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 07:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The other thing is something Virginia did that is a first in the country. Virginia Department of Health released an app, yesterday, called COVIDWISE. https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/08/05/899414953/virginia-unveils-app-to-aid-contact-tracing

Developed from both Apple and Google, it utilizes Bluetooth to store data about devices that you come in contact with and for how long. Then, if a person tests positive for COVID they can enter that positive test in the app using a special key, then every phone with the app that was in contact with them in the two-weeks prior are notified that they could have been in contact with someone and what to do next. It doesn't use GPS services, doesn't know who you are. It all work anonymously because all that is important is contact with other users. It is also completely voluntary, but if use could help tremendously in contact tracing.

I find it weird that in the US this is only coming along now, apparently. We have an app like that for months already. Government even planned to make the use mandatory, but that was shot down by public disapproval.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 10:23 AM)hollodero Wrote: I find it weird that in the US this is only coming along now, apparently. We have an app like that for months already. Government even planned to make the use mandatory, but that was shot down by public disapproval.

Yeah, you're forgetting that our federal government has been failing in their leadership and so states, with fewer resources, are tasked with striking out on their own for things like that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, you're forgetting that our federal government has been failing in their leadership and so states, with fewer resources, are tasked with striking out on their own for things like that.

Hard to forget that. But that government also nominates conservative judges, the only thing standing in the way of the US becoming an authoritarian liberal hellhole, so overall all is good.
What makes me wonder still is how at least a big state like California would have fewer ressources then a small middle European country. Or Virginia for that matter. This is not a real complicated app.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 11:06 AM)hollodero Wrote: Hard to forget that. But that government also nominates conservative judges, the only thing standing in the way of the US becoming an authoritarian liberal hellhole, so overall all is good.
What makes me wonder still is how at least a big state like California would have fewer ressources then a small middle European country. Or Virginia for that matter. This is not a real complicated app.

I've never been to Europe, nor do I actually know any Europeans but from what I can tell of American viewpoints it is easiest to keep the focus off what people don't have by pointing out that other people are getting stuff they don't deserve.  

Being in charge around here seems rather easy.  Where are your resources?  Well it IS my job to see that you have them, but you see, someone you don't know totally wasted it because he/she is lazy...so there is your enemy.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 11:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I've never been to Europe, nor do I actually know any Europeans but from what I can tell of American viewpoints it is easiest to keep the focus off what people don't have by pointing out that other people are getting stuff they don't deserve.  

Being in charge around here seems rather easy.  Where are your resources?  Well it IS my job to see that you have them, but you see, someone you don't know totally wasted it because he/she is lazy...so there is your enemy.

Ah that principle is well known here as well. Usually applied by some form of pointing to immigrants and refugees and claiming all kind of things about their non-existing entitlements.

We just usually don't take it to those extremes, due to the fact that we don't let right-wing populists run things, at least not without supervision.

But that really does not explain why apparently no US state has a simple app that is around Europe for months now. Say what you will about the US, at least you used to be the guys that come up with stuff like that for the world to copy.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 11:06 AM)hollodero Wrote: Hard to forget that. But that government also nominates conservative judges, the only thing standing in the way of the US becoming an authoritarian liberal hellhole, so overall all is good.

To be fair, we have a leg up on our response during this pandemic. Our governor is a physician. So putting our resources into something like this isn't surprising because he understands the issue better than most. Other states may not recognize the value.

Reply/Quote
Mike Dewine is positive for covid currently not experiencing any symptoms wishing him a speedy recovery.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 04:57 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Mike Dewine is positive for covid currently not experiencing any symptoms wishing him a speedy recovery.

Heard him say he has zero clue where or when he may have contracted it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 07:52 PM)jason Wrote: Heard him say he has zero clue where or when he may have contracted it.

From China, duh.
Reply/Quote

Im not sure exactly how California's government spending is set up, but, generally, states don't have a ton of flexibility with their money. Most state budgets are eaten up by education, employee funding, public welfare (police, libraries, etc) and unfunded federal mandates. Reallocating those funds typically takes state lawmaker approval, and these days you get very few lawmakers who agree on things to cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 08:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: From China, duh.

Second test came back negative... Turns out he just didn't wanna meet the president.

Dude... I'm totally asymptomatic right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 08:40 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2768767

If masks increase our behaviors that increase our risk of infection such as face touching, why do you think they are part of our infection control protocols for respiratory droplets and aerosols?

Because they don’t make us touch our face more often. In fact, they remind us not to touch our face.

I'm not even talking about masks, I'm purely talking about the silencing of any opinion different than yours.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 12:26 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm not even talking about masks, I'm purely talking about the silencing of any opinion different than yours.

There are differences of opinion. And then there is false information. Mer peddles the latter. This pandemic is killing people. Peddling objectively false information that could put people at increased risk shouldn’t be tolerated.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 01:44 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There are differences of opinion. And then there is false information. Mer peddles the latter. This pandemic is killing people. Peddling objectively false information that could put people at increased risk shouldn’t be tolerated.

I don't know what Mer says, I was merely agreeing with the silencing of opinions different from ones own.

I do know there are "experts" that say masks aren't that useful. Don't know the qualifications of these experts anymore than the ones that say masks are useful. I wear a mask at work because we require it and I wear one into stores because they require it. 
Reply/Quote