Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(10-29-2020, 09:42 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Would he have? I think we would've been better off with a president that didn't scrap the pandemic response plan left by the previous administration and dismantled the infrastructure that was in place for just such a thing. I don't think Biden would've done that, or Clinton for that matter. Hell, I doubt any of Trump's Republican challengers from 2016 would've done it. We would've been better off with any competent president, but that's not what we got.

Ol' Bels can defend a lefty without resorting to hope, unicorn farts, magic wands, or cries of racism.  I'm in awe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Biden would have been honest about the dangers of the virus.  He would not have lied and said "it is no worse than the flu," or "it will just disappear.  That way more people would have been more careful, worn masks, and practiced social distancing.

What is laughable is defending a president who admitted that he lied to your face and made things worse.

Ya, sure he would have.  What is laughable is that you think you can see the future.

Whether Trump said it was or was not worse than the flu would not have changed anything for me personally.  No idea how other people would have responded.  It is worse than the flu for elderly and less than the flu for most young and healthy.

How is that Florida deaths surpassing NY going?  A month ago someone said Florida was on track to meet or exceed NY deaths by end of the year.  A month later Florida still has half the deaths of NY and they aren't locked down.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:49 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Ya, sure he would have.  What is laughable is that you think you can see the future.

Whether Trump said it was or was not worse than the flu would not have changed anything for me personally.  No idea how other people would have responded.  It is worse than the flu for elderly and less than the flu for most young and healthy.

How is that Florida deaths surpassing NY going?  A month ago someone said Florida was on track to meet or exceed NY deaths by end of the year.  A month later Florida still has half the deaths of NY and they aren't locked down.

I looked into that and then realized I was scanning American death rates as if I were glancing at NFL standings.  Oy, what a time. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:36 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Like I said, Biden would have crashed and burned.

I'm glad trump is being positive and not painting this "dark winter" doom and gloom, more lockdown BS.

Enjoy the "dark winter" doom and gloom. We are having Thanksgiving with family as normal and we are going to enjoy and have a great Holiday season!

Again, you don’t even know how masks work so your ability to judge a public health response is limited at best.

During one of the debates, Trump threw out more false information that studies show 85% of people who wear masks get Covid. First, that’s false. It’s fake news. It’s his new hoax. Second, his comment reveals that dumbass still doesn’t understand why the CDC recommends wearing face coverings almost 7 months after announcing the recommendations. He’s an idiot and a liar which is a terrible combination in a leader. And if you’re in charge of a nation’s pandemic response you should understand why the CDC recommends people wear face coverings at a minimum. He doesn’t even know the minimum.

It’s laughable to think someone could be more of an idiot than this guy and our pandemic numbers compared to other countries bear that out.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:40 AM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness I think both Trump and Biden are hitting the doom and gloom heavy as it applies to the other guy winning in 2020.  If biden wins your family could be enjoying Thanksgiving at a homeless shelter. 

And Biden will kill god so there won’t be any prayer at the table. And the turkey will be farm raised because we won’t have any guns to go turkey hunting in the spring.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I looked into that and then realized I was scanning American death rates as if I were glancing at NFL standings.  Oy, what a time. 

Don’t you remember when Trump forecasted it would soon be down to zero?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:13 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Don’t you remember when Trump forecasted it would soon be down to zero?

Yea it was the kind of hope we really needed at the time.  That was his truly "Regan ignores AIDS and mental illness" moment.  Bless his heart. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:38 AM)GMDino Wrote: Reality is hard.  I apologize for that.

But apparently so is having a conversation with you because you just willfully ignore anything that disagrees and treat it as wrong.

The reality of Covid is not anywhere remotely close to the false panic being installed by MSM and the Dems.  Dark winter, doom and gloom, lockdowns.  Whatever.

220K mostly elderly over 8+ months now.  Sorry if I am not terrified or have a negative, dark outlook on the future.  Sorry if I am going to enjoy the Holidays vs panic, lockdown and think about dark winters.

Reality is hard, but it does not have to be an outlook of doom and gloom and dark winters.  Man people can be depressing.

Like I said, I'm the message board dunce.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:03 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And Biden will kill god so there won’t be any prayer at the table. And the turkey will be farm raised because we won’t have any guns to go turkey hunting in the spring.

I know right, who would vote for such an idiot?   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:55 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: The reality of Covid is not anywhere remotely close to the false panic being installed by MSM and the Dems.  Dark winter, doom and gloom, lockdowns.  Whatever.

220K mostly elderly over 8+ months now.  Sorry if I am not terrified or have a negative, dark outlook on the future.  Sorry if I am going to enjoy the Holidays vs panic, lockdown and think about dark winters.

Reality is hard, but it does not have to be an outlook of doom and gloom and dark winters.  Man people can be depressing.

So if everyone in the towers on 9/11 was elderly it would have somehow made that not a big deal? I am confused as to why the age of 220k people who have died matters. If a terrorist blows up a senior center does it make it less of a big deal because they were elderly? There seems to be this weird mental gymnastics going on that because it disproportionately kills the elderly that it somehow makes it not as big a deal. 

A lot of people refer to those elderly as the "greatest generation" and want to honor their lives and their sacrifices they have made, but when asked to make a sacrifice to protect their lives we can't be inconvenienced to do so. We would never have been able to make it through WW2 today because the country as a whole is not willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, or even show basic empathy. I am a person who believes hyper-nationalism in the form of pledges and anthems and worshipping a flag are counterproductive to the point, but the one time in my generation people could actually show their national pride and do something it has quickly been seen it was all an act.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:55 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: The reality of Covid is not anywhere remotely close to the false panic being installed by MSM and the Dems.  Dark winter, doom and gloom, lockdowns.  Whatever.

For someone who only likes Trump for his policy you regurgitate a lot of non-policy rhetoric.  

Doom and panic and outright collapse were key talking points at the rnc.  Ascribing that mindset to Biden and biden alone just seems like Trump-wing hot air. 

I realize lockdown vs nom lockdown can be policy but you toss those buzz words like terrified in there which detracts from your overall point in my opinion. 
Reply/Quote
Trump has handled the COVID crisis poorly; that is all. We can speculate how much better Biden's "non-xenophobic" response would have been, but we cannot guarantee it.

When we compare US numbers to other numbers worldwide, we must understand that not only our POTUS is different; our society/economy is different.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump has handled the COVID crisis poorly; that is all. We can speculate how much better Biden's "non-xenophobic" response would have been, but we cannot guarantee it.

When we compare US numbers to other numbers worldwide, we must understand that not only our POTUS is different; our society/economy is different.

Right. The main thing is that being in power is like being a starting QB.  If you aren't wowing people the guy on the bench starts to get more attention by default. 

Hillary was the lame duck in 16 and Trump is the guy holding that bag right now. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right. The main thing is that being in power is like being a starting QB.  If you aren't wowing people the guy on the bench starts to get more attention by default. 

Hillary was the lame duck in 16 and Trump is the guy holding that bag right now. 

Sure, they say, Trump did a bad job but why not give him four more years and see if he grows into the office?

That's what the right has right now:  Trump screwed up so lets see if he does better next time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: So if everyone in the towers on 9/11 was elderly it would have somehow made that not a big deal? I am confused as to why the age of 220k people who have died matters. If a terrorist blows up a senior center does it make it less of a big deal because they were elderly? There seems to be this weird mental gymnastics going on that because it disproportionately kills the elderly that it somehow makes it not as big a deal. 

A lot of people refer to those elderly as the "greatest generation" and want to honor their lives and their sacrifices they have made, but when asked to make a sacrifice to protect their lives we can't be inconvenienced to do so. We would never have been able to make it through WW2 today because the country as a whole is not willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, or even show basic empathy. I am a person who believes hyper-nationalism in the form of pledges and anthems and worshipping a flag are counterproductive to the point, but the one time in my generation people could actually show their national pride and do something it has quickly been seen it was all an act.

The point is that Covid is not killing everyone proportionally or even in huge numbers that should incite panic, lockdowns, prognostications of "dark winters" and just general doom and gloom and a crappy outlook for the future.  

We know how to mitigate the risk and mitigate the risk to the elderly.  Covid is being blown up into something far more scary than it actually is.  It is not killing millions of Americans from young to old.

And people like Gavin Newsom trying to tell people how they can or cannot celebrate Thanksgiving is utter insanity and complete BS.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:13 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: The point is that Covid is not killing everyone proportionally or even in huge numbers that should incite panic, lockdowns, prognostications of "dark winters" and just general doom and gloom and a crappy outlook for the future.  

We know how to mitigate the risk and mitigate the risk to the elderly.  Covid is being blown up into something far more scary than it actually is.  It is not killing millions of Americans from young to old.

And people like Gavin Newsom trying to tell people how they can or cannot celebrate Thanksgiving is utter insanity and complete BS.

You know what may have been able to help prevent a lot of the issues surrounding COVID-19 and the uncertainty surrounding the government's reaction to it? Having a pandemic response plan and a team in place from the start that would've been able to provide leadership and guidance from the very beginning. Too bad someone decided that because it was Obama put those things in place after the ebola outbreaks saying that it was likely we would see a pandemic in the near future that they were just bad ideas and he got rid of them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:13 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: The point is that Covid is not killing everyone proportionally or even in huge numbers that should incite panic, lockdowns, prognostications of "dark winters" and just general doom and gloom and a crappy outlook for the future.  

Emotion and statistics don't really jive. I live in ultra rural PA and people here are pretty worried about stuff like terrorists and sharks while they lament that drunk driving laws have gone overboard. 

Also, people still play the Powerball. We are great at ignoring the logic of statistical probabilities. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump has handled the COVID crisis poorly; that is all. We can speculate how much better Biden's "non-xenophobic" response would have been, but we cannot guarantee it.

Give him a chance.
Reply/Quote

228k to date and no end in sight is not enough to incite panic? We literally changed the way Americans traveled costing trillions of dollars in airport security upgrades after 9/11 for 3k deaths. We spent a decade at war with "terrorism" because of those 3k people, costing trillions for that as well. Why does it take millions of Americans to die to react? It has never taken millions of deaths in the past when the response didn't require the average American people to do anything, the difference here is it is asking average people to be slightly inconvenienced. 

You again mention that it isn't affecting young to old which seems to insinuate that because it is contained to the old it is less of an issue.

This is exactly what I was talking about. How dare people forgo a chance to eat dinner together to potentially help slow down the spread of a pandemic that has killed 228k people. Americans can not get beyond their own inconvenience to do what they need to in order to move forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:36 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Like I said, Biden would have crashed and burned.

I'm glad trump is being positive and not painting this "dark winter" doom and gloom, more lockdown BS.

Enjoy the "dark winter" doom and gloom.  We are having Thanksgiving with family as normal and we are going to enjoy and have a great Holiday season!

If you just stick your head in the ground all problems will disappear.

Brilliant logic.

LalalaLalalaLalalaLalalaLalalaLalalaLalalaLalalaLalala
Reply/Quote