Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-15-2021, 11:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yikes. After watching that and seeing a total lack of any kind of real pass rush arsenal...he looks like a 5-6 sack guy with the Bengals. 

So basically Carl Lawson.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Carl Lawson was a 5-6 sack guy.  

So if they get the same amount the guy who gets almost twice as many pressures is probably more of an impact player...

Did I mention he is god awful against the run?
(03-15-2021, 11:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: Eric Fisher made the Pro Bowl last year.  He won't be ready to start the season, but would be a great long term acquisition.  Alejandro Villenueva is also a good starting T, as is Riley Reiff.  Mike Remmers graded 70.1 and didn't give up a sack in the regular season for KC.  

Zeitler got cut by the Giants after taking a huge step back last year and graded close to Jarrett, so why are they in a different bracket?  Austin Blythe has been a quality starter at both G and C for the Rams.  Larry Warford is a quality RG that opted out last year.  Iupati would be a decent stopgap option for a season.  

Won't be ready, stopgap, opted out, 

Not words you want associated with the guys you are signing for the most important job of protecting Burrow as he comes back from injury.

Villenueva - solid, mid-tier offensive linemen. (I'm over mid-tier, there were better options and we whiffed.)

Reiff - a mid-tier pass blocker who ranks below average in true pass sets since 2018 (Which means in our offense... not a good fit at all)

Blythe - Season and a half as the starting Center for the Rams. Good player, but not a Guard. Would welcome the signing but it isn't replacing Jordan and Redmon.

Iupati - is retired

Warford - Sat out a year, that is a concern.

Jarrett - I'm guessing you meant Gabe Jackson? - has been one of the best pass-blocking guards in football since coming into the league, but his PFF pass-blocking grade of 69.9 last year was the worst mark he has posted over a single season. Jackson didn’t allow a sack but surrendered 26 total pressures and had a second-straight below average year as a run blocker. 

Remmers - joined the Chiefs as a journeyman free agent on a one-year deal ahead of the 2020 NFL season. Kansas City was the eighth stop in his NFL career. (Played for an amazing offense and had a good year, prior to that... journeyman again.. no dumpster diving)

Again, I understand they can still sign players but why is it every single year we are signing the scraps and left overs. I want to see a commitment to actually winning. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: So basically Carl Lawson.

Yeah, but for 4 years instead of 3. 

Dumb move by the Bengals. 
He's stays healthy so I'm sure that's what the Bengals chose
Doesn't make up for not improving the OL but better than nothing. As to Alexander I REALLY hope they are smart enough to resign him. He was easily the best corner on the team last year and was outright good. Resign Alexander and get someone good to take Jackson's slot.
(03-15-2021, 11:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: So if they get the same amount the guy who gets almost twice as many pressures is probably more of an impact player...

Seems like we did the same thing as we did when we picked Odom over Smith in the 2008 off-season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Carl Lawson was a 5-6 sack guy.  

And Hendrickson, aside from the sacks, doesn't get near the QB neaaaaaaarly as much as Lawson. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Lets see his pass rush production.when.the Bengals are in a 21 16
Game in the 4th quarter and losing and the other team.has the ball
Having Drew Brees as your QB guarentees the other QB is playing
Catch up in the 4th quarter.
Of course there will.be more sack opportunity
(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: So basically Carl Lawson.

Without actually pressuring the QB. And they signed him for 4yrs @ 60M while Lawson got 3yrs @ 45M. 

Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-15-2021, 11:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yikes. After watching that and seeing a total lack of any kind of real pass rush arsenal...he looks like a 5-6 sack guy with the Bengals. 

I want him to do well, but yeah watching those highlights weren't super exciting..

(03-15-2021, 11:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: So if they get the same amount the guy who gets almost twice as many pressures is probably more of an impact player...

Yeah. The more you look at it...the worse it looks. 

Too people who think I’m super down on Hendrickson, I’m really not. I think if he is the second best pass rusher on your team you have an elite unit...but he isn’t here. He’s a high motor guy who wants to win with speed and won’t be collapsing a pocket. Not just because he’s white, but he is basically Sam Hubbard from a skill set but worse at defending the run.

He’s not a bad player but his skill set being a finesse rusher is really hard to use if you don’t have a power rusher opposite him. Now maybe Reader and Geno(?) can collapse the middle enough to let Hendrickson shine on the edge but that’s a big ask as of now.
(03-15-2021, 11:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hendrickson also had 11 QB knock downs, to go along with those sacks, with 33 total pressures.  Weather by coverage or beating his man, he's got the motor to stick with a play to the end.  He's a small school guy who bided his time.  If the Bengals felt better about signing him, I'm pulling for him.

Believe me, I'm going to pull for anyone that plays for this team next year... just the way they do things is absolutely maddening. 

Feel like Hendrickson is a little bit of a downgrade from Lawson. Time will tell.

After watching his highlights, he looks a lot like Sam Hubbard. Lawson definitely looks like he’s more athletic and a better pass rusher. But, can he stay healthy? The Bengals chose the safe bet and I don’t blame them. We’ll see what happens over the course of the next few years and see who’s more productive/available.
(03-15-2021, 11:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And Hendrickson, aside from the sacks, doesn't get near the QB neaaaaaaarly as much as Lawson. 

Carl Lawson was 3rd in pass rush win rate, Hendrickson was 11th. So in terms of quickness of getting off pass protection he isn't too far behind. Registered around 10 less pressures. 
Team was last in the league in sacks. Team signs guy who finished the year 2nd in the league in sacks.

Fans complain

Lawson had 44 pressures to 33 for Hendrickson last year, which is nowhere close to double.  So, 11 pressures vs 8.5 sacks.

It's not like Lawson is good against the run, either.  

The big thing for that type of money and term is Lawson has two ACL's and a hip injury in his past vs Hendrickson being a one year wonder.
When the last time we signed a FA that had double digit sacks.. yes sir
https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1371648727589478404?s=20

Step down off the ledge fellas.