Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-15-2021, 11:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lets see his pass rush production.when.the Bengals are in a 21 16
Game in the 4th quarter and losing and the other team.has the ball
Having Drew Brees as your QB guarentees the other QB is playing
Catch up in the 4th quarter.
Of course there will.be more sack opportunity

Saints opponents attempted 557 passes, which was 17th most in the NFL and only 16 more attempts than Bengals opponents last year. Try again.

Also, people used to say this about Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney, yet their production barely dipped when Peyton missed the entire season. Mathis had 9.5 sacks and Freeney had 8.5. They were both older, too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-16-2021, 12:02 AM)Whatever Wrote: Lawson had 44 pressures to 33 for Hendrickson last year, which is nowhere close to double.  So, 11 pressures vs 8.5 sacks.

It's not like Lawson is good against the run, either.  

The big thing for that type of money and term is Lawson has two ACL's and a hip injury in his past vs Hendrickson being a one year wonder.

PFf has total pressures (cumulative of all QB disruptions) at 64 and 44 so a little different but still emphasizing there is a difference. Also, run defense wise Lawson is actually a better run defender and that’s saying something because he isn’t very good there.

Injuries? He has missed games in two years for neck injuries, which is a kind of scary thing to have reoccurring for a rusher.
I will say this does little to improve our pass rush from last year. We still need to draft a promising rusher with great athletic ability. Need more of a push up the middle as well. And, need a couple corners.

I hope to see a couple good FA corners signed (maybe not high end), but solid corners like Alexander was last year. Need to pick up a solid DT as well in FA, and offensive line help.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(03-16-2021, 12:04 AM)CincinnatiBengals55 Wrote: Step down off the ledge fellas.

Ok, him being 1st in pressure rate on 3rd down is a nice stat. 
(03-16-2021, 12:07 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I will say this does little to improve our pass rush from last year. We still need to draft a promising rusher with great athletic ability. Need more of a push up the middle as well. And, need a couple corners.

I hope to see a couple good FA corners signed (maybe not high end), but solid corners like Alexander was last year. Need to pick up a solid DT as well in FA, and offensive line help.

True. One guy isn't enough. We do need to draft some pass rushers as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(03-15-2021, 11:25 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Love this signing    he doesn't look as good in shorts as Lawson but he is as productive if not more.

I'll put money down right now that he's not.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-16-2021, 12:04 AM)CincinnatiBengals55 Wrote: [/url][url=https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1371648727589478404?s=20]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1371648727589478404?s=20

Step down off the ledge fellas.

wow really nice
I understand the Bengals need a DE, but the #1 priority for this off season has to be protecting Joe Burrow who is currently rehabbing major knee reconstructive surgery because he couldn’t make it through one season with the pitiful Oline they trotted out there last year. I would have preferred the top rated C for similar money to replace Hopkins who tore his ACL in Week 17.
Who are we eyeing with the #1 pick in 2022?

(03-16-2021, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who are we eyeing with the #1 pick in 2022?

Honestly, the Panthers are still far worse than us. They also paid Bobby Hart level offensive linemen today so they apparently want to give our O line philosophy a try lol.
(03-16-2021, 12:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who are we eyeing with the #1 pick in 2022?

Depends, does Burrow have 1 or 0 knees remaining?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(03-15-2021, 10:49 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Okay this thread is 199% off the rails from its intention.  Admittedly I've had fun going a bit back and forth with some of you here and arguing among fans.  But I'm tired and maybe a little drunk.  When I am more active here in arguments that is usually the case.  When I disagree and argue it is nothing personal.  I think most of us want our favorite team to be the best it can.  Unfortunately it often seems to not work out that way.  So I'm out of this thread.  I hope maybe the Bengals end up signing some decent players and have a great year.   I guess after the next few weeks when most free agents are signed we can look forward to the draft.  After that more arguing... The 2021 regular season can not come soon enough.

Even though I don't agree with some you are all cool by me.  It's just football talk about my favorite team after all.  So nothing serious.

I blame myself. I was seeing threads going in various directions to include talk about non-signings. I asked management could we have a thread to simply discuss Bengals signings and talks. I overestimated my fellow forum members. Perhaps we can rename this one the Official Bytch about what the Bengals didn't do in FA thread and start another simply talking about what we do.

There's numerous other threads where folks can bytch, but I thought Holic made it quite clear the purpose of this thread. Unfortunately some folks are mad and misery loves company. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-16-2021, 12:04 AM)CincinnatiBengals55 Wrote: [/url][url=https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1371648727589478404?s=20]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1371648727589478404?s=20

Step down off the ledge fellas.

Sorry. I'm not falling for that shit.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-16-2021, 12:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I blame myself. I was seeing threads going in various directions to include talk about non-signings. I asked management could we have a thread to simply discuss Bengals signings and talks. I overestimated my fellow forum members. Perhaps we can rename this one the Official Bytch about what the Bengals didn't do in FA thread and start another simply talking about what we do.

There's numerous other threads where folks can bytch, but I thought Holic made it quite clear the purpose of this thread. Unfortunately some folks are mad and misery loves company. 

Well to be fair, should have waited till the team got involved instead of having hope we would actually be active early. 

Watching player after player go elsewhere while the team sat around humming and low balling people was going to turn ugly.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(03-16-2021, 12:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: PFf has total pressures (cumulative of all QB disruptions) at 64 and 44 so a little different but still emphasizing there is a difference. Also, run defense wise Lawson is actually a better run defender and that’s saying something because he isn’t very good there.

Injuries? He has missed games in two years for neck injuries, which is a kind of scary thing to have reoccurring for a rusher.

Lawson definitely generated more pressures, but how big that gap is very much in the eye of the beholder, it seems.  That's the unfortunate issue with QB Pressure/Hurry/Hit stats.  There's no uniform scale to them.  Would love it if we could get Next Gen stats for defenders getting within a yard of the QB before the ball comes out.

At the end of the day, each guy is a piece of the puzzle, not the solution in and of themselves.  Good pieces, but just pieces nonetheless.
(03-16-2021, 12:24 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Well to be fair, should have waited till the team got involved instead of having hope we would actually be active early. 

Watching player after player go elsewhere while the team sat around humming and low balling people was going to turn ugly.

I said I blame myself. It took us almost 8 hours into FA to sign a top player in a position of need. 

I held out hope that folks could read the OP and take their roadshows to one of the many other threads, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Not excited about this. Would rather have Lawson. Basically downgraded at the position.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-16-2021, 12:14 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I understand the Bengals need a DE, but the #1 priority for this off season has to be protecting Joe Burrow who is currently rehabbing major knee reconstructive surgery because he couldn’t make it through one season with the pitiful Oline they trotted out there last year.  I would have preferred the top rated C for similar money to replace Hopkins who tore his ACL in Week 17.

There's still a C available that's been the best pass blocker the last 2 years. 

(03-16-2021, 12:26 AM)Whatever Wrote: Lawson definitely generated more pressures, but how big that gap is very much in the eye of the beholder, it seems.  That's the unfortunate issue with QB Pressure/Hurry/Hit stats.  There's no uniform scale to them.  Would love it if we could get Next Gen stats for defenders getting within a yard of the QB before the ball comes out.

At the end of the day, each guy is a piece of the puzzle, not the solution in and of themselves.  Good pieces, but just pieces nonetheless.

Like I said in another post, the issue beyond stats is his actual game. He’s a finesse speed guy that relies on havoc opposite him in terms of a collapsed pocket to get to the QB. If someone else on this line isn’t collapsing the pocket he is not going to succeed. It’s funny because if you put him and Lawson on the same line their strengths compliment each other really well and they’d be a top duo I think, but in this situation I don’t see Finesse winning without a counterpart here.