Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else rooting for the Royals?
They are a small market team that has amassed a lot of talent. Lot's of "scrappy" young guys. No arrogant superstars. Now that they have Johnny Beisbol they are my favorite team (behind the Reds).

Trying to find something to make the rest of the season meaningful. So it helps that they have 6 more wins than any other AL team. They have a great shot to make it to the World Series. Maybe another classic inter-state battle with the Cards.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They are a small market team that has amassed a lot of talent.  Lot's of "scrappy" young guys.  No arrogant superstars.  Now that they have Johnny Beisbol they are my favorite team (behind the Reds).

Trying to find something to make the rest of the season meaningful.  So it helps that they have 6 more wins than any other AL team.  They have a great shot to make it to the World Series.  Maybe another classic inter-state battle with the Cards.

I usually root for the NL team in the World Series, but last year was different.  For 20 years I complained that baseball was too top heavy, and being a fan of the Royals (who last won when I was 11 yrs old) had to be torture.  For years, they knew that their team would be out of it in mid June.  Playing for a team like that would be just as bad.  What's the point?

So for the last couple of years I have been rooting for KC (I would root for the Pirates too if they weren't in our division now).  They went thru decades of irrelevance, but it appears that they are onto something sustainable....  George Brett is also one of my all time favorite players.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They are a small market team that has amassed a lot of talent.  Lot's of "scrappy" young guys.  No arrogant superstars.  Now that they have Johnny Beisbol they are my favorite team (behind the Reds).

Trying to find something to make the rest of the season meaningful.  So it helps that they have 6 more wins than any other AL team.  They have a great shot to make it to the World Series.  Maybe another classic inter-state battle with the Cards.

I could see rooting for them.  Will always be a fan of Cueto.  Probably the best starting pitcher I've ever really got to see suit up for the Reds.  Rijo was probably the last guy that could dominate.  Am I missing someone?  
Reply/Quote
In the AL, yes.....but in the NL, THE CUBS....Just saw Uncle Buck again on TV last night. John Candy in that extra extra large Cubs jersey...Bill Murray a big Cubs fan....Over 100 years without a World Series Win....GO CUBS !!!!!
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Why don't you cheer for the Jays?

We're on fire right now and kicking ass, support us!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 11:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Why don't you cheer for the Jays?

Is that our old EE hitting all those home runs for your Blue Jays ?????...If so, he found a home in the AL at DH so he doesn't have to play defense. He could always hit. .....I'm not sure if it is the same EE, but if it is, good luck to him also....and Cueto with Royals.....In NL, I'm pulling for the Cubs, but it looks like they will have to play a 1 game play-off game in Pittsburg, so the odds are against them in that game. If they can win at Pittsburg in that game, anything becomes possible in the longer series play. ...Reds one game in Pittsburg as they yelled, Cueto, Cueto, Cueto all game was no fun. That is a rough play-off crowd, like a Steelers game. The Cubs will have to play their best game all season, but manager Madden is the guy to pull it off.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
After a nice start Cueto is getting shelled for the Royals.

Last three games....17 innings.....30 hits.....4 HR....8.47 ERA
Reply/Quote
Yes, that is ex Red EE hitting 3 homers in one game for Toronto last weekend as a DH.....HE could hit and could even catch a little at 3rd base, but his throws were just awful. Over the 1st baseman's head, over the catchers head, often into the seats or dugouts. Many, many errors...EE stood for error, error. ....but he always could hit, so DH for Toronto is a good place for him. He can flat out hit, just lousy D, but no D needed if you are a DH.

OK, I root for Cueto Royals and EE Blue Jays in AL.......and over 100 years without a World Series Win Cubs in NL, for Belushi, John Candy, Bill Murray and all the other Cubs fan comics that made me laugh over the years. Uncle Buck movie is a classic comedy. Blues Brothers and police detective showing up at address of Belushi to find it is a fake address and Wrigley Field. Candy standing outside Wrigley as a cop laughing because he thinks it was a pretty good fake address. ....Cubs may want to hope Pirates have a bad September so they can play that play in game in Chicago and not in Pittsburg. ...It's been shown you can win the World Series from the play-in game. The trick is winning that one game....Hey, the Red Sox got their 100 year jinx over with, now it's the Cubs turn....They say fans show up win or lose, but hey, the Chicago food is good, I hear. I'm told they can really make hot dogs, sausages and brats with the grilled onions and the works and ball park pizza, all Chicago style. Makes me hungry just typing that. No wonder these Cub fan comics come in the extra large size.

As for the Reds, just wait until 8 months from now. We'll murder em' ..We'll knock em' for a row a' lib labs....We'll brain em'....( 3 Stooges vernacular, drop the vernacular, pick that hat up, drop the vernacular, pick that hat up.... and uttering a few syllables.......Just wait till next year. If at foist' you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed.....woo, woo, woo, woo....).
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: After a nice start Cueto is getting shelled for the Royals.

Ouch.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 11:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: After a nice start Cueto is getting shelled for the Royals.

We know Cueto can pitch.....look for him to settle into the AL and have a good September ....and then be like Luis Tiant in the play-offs. ...He is very much like Tiant. ....I think the Royals still do good from this trade, we know Cueto can flat out pitch. 

In his last 3 games, he had bad games at Boston and at home against Baltimore, 6 earned runs in each loss. His last game at home against Detroit was also a loss but better at 4 earned runs .....but slumps happen. I look for him to get back on his game....Before the last 3 games, Cueto was 2-0 in his first 4 games with KC with only 6 earned runs in those 4 starts and 30 innings. . He is now 2-3 with a 4.21 ERA in 7 starts and 47 innings. . ......Cueto has a .304 ERA in 177.2 innings in 2015 with both Reds and Royals. He has 154 K's and only 34 BB's....Going into 2015, Cueto had a lifetime 3.28 ERA and since his 2015 ERA is .304, we can assume the 3.28 has gone down without doing the math on the exact ERA lifetime as of today. He is 94 wins and 67 losses lifetime. Since he has a lifetime ERA under 3.28, we can assume the Reds were not scoring many runs and/ or the bullpen was blowing a lot of games. The Reds should have got more wins out of his low lifetime ERA. That is a low ERA for a starter.

So Cueto of 2-3 and a 4.21 ERA in 7 starts goes into September for Royals. ...He is 9-10 with an 3.04 ERA on the season, again showing the LAST PLACE Reds weren't scoring runs and / or the bullpen was blowing games. ......I think Kansas City will benefit from Cueto and his season 3.04 ERA and his lifetime ERA under 3.28 on the mound as they go into the play-offs, Cueto very muck like a Luis Tiant....Yes, he is 2-3 with a 4.21 ERA in 47 innings for Royals, but a few good starts and that ERA somes back down to Cueto 3 runs a game real fast.

Anybody can pitch 2 bad games. His bubble gum card and lifetime stats and his entire 2015 stats tell me Cueto is going to be a very good pitcher for KC and take them to the World Series. The pitching coach and catchers are also involved here and being on a new team in a different league with a DH, they all just may have to develop some chemistry with each other. He is also learning new hitters. ...I would not bet against Cueto....Look for Cueto to be very good going into the play-offs, which is why they got him. They are in the play-offs, and needed Cueto for the play-offs, where he will be very good if he pitches as his entire 2015 stats and his lifetime stats.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 11:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Why don't you cheer for the Jays?

I always liked Edwin when he was a Red.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
EE was always like Wily Mo, I thought: great hitter, butcher in the field (Incarnation is better though). Incarnation has been good for us at first though too, when he plays there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Cueto must be injured.  He just got shelled again today.  He only lasted 3 innings but gave up 7 hits and 5 runs.

He isn't just having a rough outing or two.  He is getting hammered like a minor league pitcher.
Reply/Quote