Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trans Youth Speaks Out As Alabama Debates Banning Medical Treatment
As someone who deals with middle schoolers every day, I can say I am a little hesitant to let them make decisions that permanently affect their future based on their feelings at ages 13-17. Their sense of self changes radically in that time period, and usually through several permutations. I have seen on more than one occasion, kids who claim to be gay, bi, trans, etc in 8th grade, have a totally different view of what they really are at graduation. Thats why its called "finding yourself". Most usually really don't know their true selves until at least their 20s. Yet their feelings are so strong during their teens that they are convinced whatever they are feeling at the moment is what they want to be their entire lives.

I am fine with a person becoming whatever their true authentic self is. It is crucial to a happy life. But I also am pretty sure that to find that takes time. I think people need to take that time. The government shouldnt mandate parenting. But parents should also be smart enough to tell their children that if they still feel the same way a few years from now, I will fully support you exploring your options to become the best you to live a happy life.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trans Youth Speaks Out As Alabama Debates Banning Medical Treatment - Beaker - 03-29-2021, 02:28 PM