Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-17-2021, 10:42 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yep. I agree. 

I would say having an elite LT is tied for the 2nd most valuable position with elite pass rusher (the most valuable position being an elite QB).

I would be thrilled to grab the elite LT. If we had a chance at an elite WR or an elite pass rusher next year, I'd chose the elite pass rusher. WR fits in there closely after LT/pass rusher in my value chart. QB highest. Elite corner/safety/WR are in that high mid tier of value.

We already have 2 really good wideouts. It's easy to build off of that. It's not easy to build an offense behind a shaky offensive line. It's not easy to defend an elite offense without a pass rush either. These are the most critical components to success in my mind. You can win with an average QB if you have an elite offensive line and pass rush. You can't win jack with great weapons with no blocking help.

I used to be in this line of thinking, but analytics say otherwise.  WR's are second only to QB's in Wins Above Replacement, followed by DB's and TE's.  The highest graded WR in WAR last season was over double the highest graded LT.  

It makes sense when you think about it, too.  There's a number of different ways a DC can circumvent an elite LT.  He can run stunts, blitzes, and/or change where guys line up to get his best pass rushers better matchups.  An elite WR, however, he's forced to assign his best CB to and/or assign multiple players to.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there - Whatever - 04-18-2021, 03:18 AM