Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-18-2021, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know that we could get a solid lineman later. Maybe. Thing about that is we've had a much better track record of taking WR's in round 2 than linemen. I also factor in a myriad of other factors.

1. QB/WR tandems like Stafford/Megatron and Ryan/Julio rarely work. It's a ton of money invested in one facet of the offense.

2. If you have an elite QB (which I think Burrow will be), I'd say it's better to spread that money around to blocking/defense. He'll make our WR's look good.

3. If you draft Chase, say goodbye to Higgins in 3 years. We can't pay big bucks to everyone in the pass offense.

4. Yes, we could get a lineman later...but whatever need we address at #5, we're taking a risk with the need we don't address there. There's no guarantee that the linemen we want will be sitting there in the 2nd round. We could also have a gem fall in our laps that isn't a lineman. Would we then pass to stick with the need?

That's why I think you address what is clearly your biggest need first. If we miss on a lineman in this draft, I'd say our 2021 line will be pretty ugly, right? If we miss on a speed WR, it'll suck but won't be the end of the world. I think we can get by on what we have.

Dehner and Morrison had an article last week that pretty much aligned with my thoughts on this:

'Take Sewell: Comes in and plays guard right away, as has been done with Laremy Tunsil and La’el Collins early in their careers, but could end up a tackle depending on how he looks upon arrival. But the Bengals hope he will eventually be the next Andrew Whitworth or Willie Anderson while offering a major upgrade on the interior immediately.'

'Take Chase: This is a nightmare scenario … for AFC North defensive coordinators. Give Burrow a deep threat — and the luxury of a head start in developing chemistry with him — to run with Higgins and Boyd and marry the quarterback’s fast processing ability with all that elite talent spreading defenses thin and watch the magic unfold.'

Like I've said, I think both options are great and the Bengals are going to be a better team regardless of which one is taken.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there - Bengalholic - 04-18-2021, 08:40 PM