Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-21-2021, 11:23 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I appreciate the responses. I tried not to pose any of my comments as suggesting there was any criminality in the officer's response, because I don't believe there was. I understand the rationale.

My perspective as a teacher obviously skews my belief in what are available responses to a situation like this, which is why I asked the questions that I did. I think when the footage becomes more widespread and the idea that this was "revenge" isn't able to hold any water, the dialogue will shift into the direction of response.

Hopefully it will also focus on safety standards in the foster system too and ask why the multiple adults around the girl did not do anything. After she pushes the first girl, one of the adults (the one who says "She is a ***** kid") kicks the first girl in the head as she is getting up. I think some responsible needs to fall on the adults who enabled the fighting and even seemed to join in.

I don't disagree with you. I just try to put myself in the place of the officer. You see one person taking a potentially lethal action against another person and it is your duty to intervene in that instance. The officer doesn't know all of the context, and they don't have time to get it. I've also seen far too many videos where tasers and OC spray don't work.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-21-2021, 11:28 AM