Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell
(04-27-2021, 11:03 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If you think Sewell is going to just completely change our O-line, that’s one argument, but don’t downplay the impact Chase can have on this offense.

First of all, Chase is going to be the pick and there's nothing we can do about that. 

But I've seen these arguments too many times and need to respond. First, you'll always need 5 linemen, and will never be able to draft more than one at a time. Does that mean that we should never pick one? Lol no, obviously not. You gotta start somewhere. Having one is infinitely better than zero. That's both mathematically and literally true, I might add. :) What's more, investing a marquee pick on one- as we have an opportunity to do this year- can also give us the symbolism we need to start building an identity. It really does answer one of the longstanding issues of this team, in that the line has absolutely no anchor (pun intended).  

Either way, those points have been made too many times. What I really wanted to say is that the "impact Chase can have on this offense" is overrated. He'll be a good player, but he'll never be more than a wideout. He can't be. He doesn't even return punts. This guy is an X, plain and simple. And I can't remember the last time I watched a game and thought, "Man, thank God Team X has an X or everything would fall apart!" Probably because I've never thought that. 

More importantly, we had Ross last year to take the top off the defense in the same way that we're using now to sell fans on Chase. Not only did Ross not help, the need for speed was so moot that we didn't even play the poor guy. In fact, we couldn't come up with enough excuses to sit him that we had to say that he was injured when he wasn't, and a whole controversy ensued lol. Point being, the concept of a deep threat is always far more compelling in April than September. Always.

In the end, I don't think we're passing on Sewell because he won't "completely change our O-line". I don't think we're picking Chase because of the "impact he can have on the offense". We're picking him because he and Joe starred together at LSU. Full stop. It makes me feel like I'm in Grade 2 lol. And once the novelty wears off, I fear that we'll be mocked more ruthlessly than before for having fallen for the gimmick, and it'll take us another generation to walk off the criticism.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wilcots, Holt and Martin all Team Sewell - tms - 04-28-2021, 12:06 AM