Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-28-2021, 07:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Gun control would decrease inequalities instead of increase them

By far the the most damage done by gun violence is in disadvantaged communities.  It reduces property values.  It increases death and incarceration rates that destroy families and income.  It reduces business opportunities.

Maybe this should be its own thread because I don't see any way possible gun control would increase inequities.  All i see are ways it would DECREASE them.  Gun violence is extremely destructive to disadvantaged communities.

I will put it this way and leave it here, because I've gone round and round with you on this before. Any effort to put a barrier on the exercising of a right will disproportionately impact marginalized communities. It provides an advantage to those already with means. We know this to be true for voting, and we know this to be true for firearms. Assault weapon bans, the Hughes Amendment, the NFA and the Gun Control Act of 1968 all create a system in which members of marginalized communities are unable to acquire things that wealthy elites are still able to own. It's the same situation we see with laws passed to restrict voting.

Ideologically, I'm against placing barriers in place that make it difficult for citizens to exercise their civil liberties, but especially when it effects any group disproportionately. Whether it be voting, taking up arms, or any other liberty.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-28-2021, 08:27 PM