Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-29-2021, 09:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The right to ownership of any property is a civil liberty.

Really now? Care to elaborate on the explicitness of that civil liberty and the case law supporting your equating the right to own toxic chemicals with firearms?

(04-29-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lack of registration does not "create a black market".  The market is already there.  The only difference is that registration laws would make it easier to enforce the laws we have against selling guns to criminals or allowing them to posses guns.

It won't make it any easier because of the number of firearms already in circulation. There is no evidence to support that it would be feasible. If you have some, I'd love to see it.

(04-29-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If people refuse to register their weapons then they risk being punished for breaking the law.  It is that simple.  No "law abiding citizen" would be punished.

I've never claimed otherwise. This is just a strawman.

(04-29-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a class of people right now who insist that the law requiring drivers licenses are unconstitutional.  Should they be allowed to break the law just because they don't agree with it?

And this is another false equivalency.

(04-29-2021, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And you know what a "slippery slope argument" is called?  A logical fallacy.  Paranoia is never a reasonable argument.

Considering I was only talking about that argument to point out I was not grounding my argument in that logical fallacy, I'm well aware. Meanwhile, you've decided to engage in a couple, yourself, with this post.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-29-2021, 09:37 AM