Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
(04-30-2021, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bullshit.  I have seen it happen with my own eyes.  It makes law enforcement angry.  They find a weapon in the car or residence of a convicted felon and they are pretty sure it belongs to the felon.  But as soon as someone else claims possession there is nothing they can do.

With something like drugs or stolen property everyone in a vehicle or a room with the contraband can be charged with "constructive possession". Then it gets sorted out in court.  Someone, and possibly everyone, will get convicted.  Since an unregistered gun is not contraband no one gets in any trouble and the gun is not confiscated.

You don't have a clue "how this policy works".

So what you're saying is that there is no certainty that a felon is keeping a gun, only a hunch. They don't have sufficient evidence to say it belongs to the felon. So this isn't really evidence that a felon is keeping a gun.

Edit to add: also, it is my understanding that in many jurisdictions if a felon is capable of having control of the firearm in the residence or vehicle, then they can still be charged, regardless of who claims ownership.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - Belsnickel - 04-30-2021, 04:54 PM