D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021
(05-02-2021, 12:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It's not ZT's draft but DT's.

Those reaches you cite were both coached and vouched for by former long-serving Bengals - Carman by Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson; McPherson by Shayne Graham - who'd left long before Zac arrived but would have known Tobin well.

Shelvin was another who was coached by a former long term Bengal coach in Kevin Coyle. The rest were almost all players who shined at the Senior Bowl (which Tobin attended alongside Taylor).

We are overly reliant on input from former Bengals because our scouting is the thinnest in the league by far. Not saying they are wrong here, but just pointing out my worry about the weight given to those opinions. If we had more scouts (or any)....

And again, it isn't saying Carman stinks or saying Simmons can't prefer a different kicker to Borregales. I am just pointing out that Borregales went undrafted and was the #1 kicker on a lot of boards. Hence, I think 5th rd was a reach for the kicker. Carman in rd 3 or 4 and I am perfectly happy. At 46? 

SI had us at C+. That is where I am at. I went C but could go up to C+.

We drafted a lot of bodies in the trenches. We were bottom 5 (or worse) in sacks, run defense, run stuff rate, sacks allowed, rushing yards, guard play, and a myriad of other OL/DL stats. I like the defensive guys a lot more that the offensive hogs. We are gonna need some high end talent to stop getting pushed around by Balt, Pitt, and now Cleveland. On both sides of the ball. I don't think we added that on O.

We had 10 picks. We got 1 surefire starter on offense/defense (Chase). One guy who will compete for a starting spot at a spot he has never played (Carman). Some good rotational pieces on D with some upside (Ossai, Sample, Shelvin). And a starting PK we took at least 1 round too soon.

We failed to significantly upgrade the OL in my view, which should have been priority #1, #2, and #3. Again, YMMV. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2021, 10:12 PM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 12:57 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 01:06 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 02:13 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-02-2021, 07:30 PM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - CJD - 05-02-2021, 08:27 PM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - tms - 05-05-2021, 07:23 PM