Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired?
(05-02-2021, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No one is saying that PA wasn't a great coach in his prime, or that he isn't any good at judging talent today.  All folks are getting at is that he grew stale in the last 5 years of his tenure with the Bengals.  Several of his picks failed to develop, some of his top picks turned out to be big misses.  People joke when they refer to him as Piano Man, but being a pianist is a very respectable skill to have.  However, some of his schtick like the entire ketchup bottle test, really grew stale after a while.  One thing that stuck out to me, toward the end of his career, was a quote that he said once in the middle of the season.  It went something like "I can't work on technique in mid season, that's an offseason thing".  If it stuck out to me, I know that it must have bothered a lot of other folks, too.

I'm sure that now that the pressures of being a full time coach are past him, that his head is a lot clearer for things like talent evaluation and private coaching.  Good for him.  But, he's also a consultant for NFL radio, meaning that it's his job to pump up prospects, give the fans something to hang on every word of.  As a Bengal fan, I don't like reading that he and Mike Brown were having confidential chats about our team's current draft. as it makes me feel as if the team is going in reverse, as opposed to moving past covered ground.

Yeah....the whole Piano Man was more of an homage to Billy Joel than anything else. When I learned he was a pianist, the nickname came to me instantly as I thought of the song. Then came all the jokes about cheap Mike using him as free dinner party entertainment.

He was definitely struggling toward the end of his tenure. The rungame was struggling too in the YPC department. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired? - Wyche'sWarrior - 05-03-2021, 04:29 PM