Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired?
(05-04-2021, 08:34 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Here we will just re-post since you ignored it the first time while regurgitating the same narrative. Maybe you will actually attempt to refute it this time.

"No really there is not. How do you figure they did not make the O line a priority? I guess the answer must be because they did not use their first round selection on an O lineman?

Couple of questions for you. Prior to the draft who was the consensus #1 caliber WR for the Bengals? In this draft how many consensus #1 caliber WRs were there? 

I would certainly call 2nd round a priority. Not to mention, the firing of Turner and the return of one of the best O line coaches in the game Frank Pollack as O line coach as well as the run game coordinator. The best move that could have been made for this line....period! I might suggest that you evaluate the individual rankings of the existing Bengals O linemen under Pollack and under Turner. So the O line is not a priority? The cutting of Bobby Hart and the addition of Riley Reiff as the RT....serious upgrade. But Oh yeah the O line was not a priority.

I would suggest maybe watching some tape on the players drafted and a little less time griping about them. Jackson Carman is a very good O lineman with a lot of experience. While he may not be LT material at the NFL level but I do not doubt at all that he will be a long time quality starter at either OG or RT. He is a very athletic mountain. Phenomenal in the screen game. Gets to the second level easily and acquires the next target and engages immediately.

D'Ante Smith has the qualities that are looked for at OT that cannot be coached. He has the length, feet, and athleticism to be really good. He will need to add some bulk but has shown some strength even at 297. He is a kid that could truly excel under the tutelage of Frank Pollack. This kid has tremendous upside.

Trey Hill is yet another very experienced lineman on the interior that has a lot of football experience against high caliber competition. He could provide immediate depth at any of the interior line positions at a level that far exceeds that of last season.

The line was a priority of this offseason and was addressed as such. "

I still don't think the OL is very good.  Personally I would have used the top 2 picks on OL.  I would have used the 3rd and 4th to trade back up into the 1st to grab a second premium OL that fell.  Then I would feel confident we upgraded the OL.  I would have tried to find a speedy receiver in the 5th-7th. By improving the OL we improve both the running game and passing game and we keep the QB healthy. We also can sustain long drives to help control time of possession so it also helps the defense. Also the future of our OL seems dismal, our best player is on a 1 year contract. And our LT of the future can't stay healthy. The future of this team is shit because we didn't fix the problem this year. Also if you have read any of my posts I think it was ridiculous to use a 2nd round pick OL with a history of back injuries. I am pretty pissed off about what they did to Burrow last year and I am even more upset this year because they are going to let it happen again after he is returning from injury.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Perhaps Mike Brown isn't so Semi-Retired? - AtomicBlaze - 05-04-2021, 10:59 AM