Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-04-2021, 03:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yet a vast amount just cannot see it or just wish not to. For far too many it was Sewell or bust. I am a build from the trenches out guy but there is a truth to this draft that I have noticed a large amount of these boards do not wish to admit to. There was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in this draft...period. There was not a close second. There were highly rated WRs that will be compliments but they are not going to be do it all receivers. They are not built to run short crossing routes without getting smashed. They are edge threats that are not going to exploit the tough parts of the field.

Those same folks will also not admit that Rashawn Slater was really close to Sewell in talent and some even felt Slater was more refined and more NFL ready. The same folks don't have the vision to see that the game of a guy like Christian Darrisaw mirrors very closely to guys like Wirfs who anyone in their right mind would like to have on an O line.

Yes Jonah Williams has had injuries but he has shown his worth when he is on the field. Yes Reiff is on a one year deal but it is a one year deal that sets them up for an extension if things are working out. Trey Hopkins is a good center and should be even better with better play on each side of him. Those hating on Carman simply are not looking objectively at situation. He is a quality player and there is nothing in his history that would say otherwise. Spain over his career has actually graded pretty well until he was under the tutelage of Turner, who is trash as an O line coach.

I believe that a line of Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff is one that could border on extremely good under a better line coach than Turner and thank goodness we got that.

I believe the jury is out of Fred Johnson. I don't think he has the feet to play LT at the NFL level but I do think under the proper coaching that he could be a pretty decent RT.

I believe they could have a really talented kid in D'Ante Smith. He has the foundation of height and length that cannot be developed along with athletic traits that can continue to be developed. He had already demonstrated some natural strength and nasty demeanor and that should continue to grow as he adds mass and strength in an NFL training program.

There are things to look forward to if people wish to see them.

I agree with everything you say here, but the bolded isn't true.  Chase was the consensus number 1 guy, but Waddle went 6 and Devonta was considered another guy in that tier.  

We just have to hope that they hit on some of these offensive line picks.  If Carman doesn't work out, we are right back where we were last year with the interior line - and that's bad,.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done - Hammerstripes - 05-04-2021, 08:06 PM