D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021
I gave them a C. I'm a bit of a tough a$$ but whatever corresponds to slightly below-average. I'm aligned with their positional breakdown, and I"m satisfied with the Carman deal. We got an additional 2 picks while still landing our player of choice.

Our players of choice are I got a bit disappointed. Ossai- terrific. Smith- fantastic. Sample and Hubert- good enough, to each his own. But Carman, Shelvin and Evans are not my guys. The fact that we 'know' Carman and Shelvin does not make them better players. I fear that we may have allowed bias to creep into those decisions. Even at 46, Carman was the first surprise of the draft. And while Shelvin deserved to be picked where he was, I don't see him as a fit for this defense: a 0-tech who struggles to pierce the pocket and is not proficient on the goal line? Plus didn't play last year? Don't get me wrong, he may yet turn out. He has an NFL body for sure. But it'll be an uphill climb regardless imo.

I do like McPherson and I'm glad we got him. But the opportunity cost of taking him at 149 was high. I reckon Zac and co. are feeling some buyer's remorse today. I mean, unless we had specific intel that suggested that he was being targeted by somebody else- which is possible but unlikely given that he was the only kicker drafted - I would have taken my chances on him later. Instead we missed out on a myriad of playmakers between 149 and 190 who could have really fortified this offense.

In the end, we did ok. But I think it's clear we could have done better. In too many instances it seemed like we were bidding against ourselves. And yes, my opinion is the product of pure speculation- but if this entire exercise in draft grades isn't an exercise in pure speculation, I don't know what is lol.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2021, 10:12 PM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 12:57 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 01:06 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - Dr.Z - 05-02-2021, 02:13 AM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - CJD - 05-02-2021, 08:27 PM
RE: Grade The Bengals Draft Of 2021 - tms - 05-05-2021, 07:23 PM