Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates!
(05-21-2021, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, for a 4th rounder he had a really solid run here. I think people's expectations are not quite calibrated at times with the reality of how little most draft picks contribute. The other issue is most people don't actually understand a NT's role in most defenses and what he was actually supposed to be doing, and doing well.

Billings is in a long list of guys that I thought were headed for a great career here only to have injuries slow his development early.  

And to your point about the NTs role, that is a part of what excites me most about Shelvin.  With Tupou seemingly fallen out of favor and Wren having multiple injuries, I could see Shelvin allowing Reader to take snaps outside of NT, and I think he could be very effective there as well.  

We talk all the time about "passing downs" being 2nd and long and 3rd and long, but in reality first down is every bit a passing down as well.  If you can have two guys that can force a rush outside or collapse the pocket, and two strong DEs/LBs that can create pressure outside in a pocket where the QB can't just step up in to then you have a fairly formidable pass rush on first down.  

As excited as I am to see this offense that I think can be really impressive if all the pieces are healthy, this season is going to come down to the defense.  I think Shelvin can help his rookie season, and that is a big deal for a fourth rounder that we got by sliding 8 picks in Rd 2.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates! - SHRacerX - 05-22-2021, 10:29 AM