Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates!
(05-22-2021, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I admittedly was called a Peko hater even though I loved the guy off the field as everyone did. Great man and you knew him 
face to face which is really cool. I just thought he needed to do a little more hand fighting in the scrum to free himself up to 
get pressures, but the guy was a great run stopper for us and will always be a great Bengal.

I hope Shelvin can be just as good, it is possible. Shelvin is bigger than Peko but faster and more aggressive. If Tyler can play
smart is still the question. Don't get rubbed off your gap like Billings did all the time early in his career.

I agree that he could have been better and been a bit more scruffy to free himself up, like you said, but I'm just saying that he wasn't terrible, like many people said, and was actually decent at his job.  Would I have preferred that he freed himself up more to make plays?  Yes, of course, but not many NTs can do that, and he was just good at what he was asked to do.

He was definitely a good guy off the field and was very humble and generous.  He used to buy the kids in our neighborhood all kinds of things and once rented a big bouncy house and invited all the kids over to play in it.  My father helped him skip all the technical stuff to join the country club that his house was on and he always made sure to tell me to tell my dad hi when I saw him at training camp and wherever.

Another thing that I like about Shelvin is that he seems to embrace the role of eating double teams, absorbing space, taking on blocks, and keeping the backers clean, which is what we need from our nose tackle.  Even if we only play him on first and second down, I think that would be best to keep him fresh and just causing a logjam in the middle of the line.  

Shelvin also seems to be excited to be playing with Burrow and Chase, so let's just hope that he can keep his weight in check and stay in shape because I think he could be a hell of a force for us!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates! - BFritz21 - 05-22-2021, 02:32 PM