Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
(05-26-2021, 11:22 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if you misunderstood the pulmonologist, or they were wrong in their explanation, but this is inaccurate. I'm fortunate in that with my connection to Scouting I have access to two very highly regarded immunologists, one Ph.D. and one an M.D., from the University of Virginia. They both volunteer in our local council and have been pivotal in managing our response to the pandemic. Anyway, the way they explain it to the laypeople in these meetings is that the 90-ish percent you see on the effective rates is the effectiveness in preventing the infection at all. The vaccines, however, have a 100% effective rate in clinical studies for preventing a debilitating infection.

The number of times I have been a room with the two of them as they have explained this to people in our Scouting program is in the double digits, so I have definitely got what they have been saying down. LOL

Well it was over a month ago, so I might be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure he said we could still get the infection despite vaccination, and the "90%" referred to chances of serious illness/dying, NOT just getting the virus.  

I'll trust your experts over my memory here, though. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coronavirus Information...who do you trust? - Dill - 05-26-2021, 12:55 PM