Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texas set to allow unlicensed handgun carry despite outcry
(05-27-2021, 01:02 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: In my limited time on this forum I have noticed this (going off topic) seems to be a theme here.  Fwiw, I'm not really opposed to this that much because it's generally the nature of many message boards.

I posted a thread about what I thought was a cringeworthy video from the CIA.  By the 2nd page it had already turned into a discussion about white supremecy and Donald Trump.

You yourself commented on the thread without even watching the video, went off topic and then said something to the effect of "I'm just trying to poke a little fun." 

The phrase "pot meet kettle" seems a little appropriate here.  And even if it's not apples to apples, I still would hope see some consistency.  Either this forum has a strict "stay on topic" policy that is understood and followed by everyone, or we let things fly, and don't pick and choose to when to call it "trolling".

Actually, I think it quite common and natural and good if discussion "organically" moves across topics. That SHOULD happen if people are exploring complex topics.
And politics is complex.

E.g., one person starts a thread about gun control in Texas which moves, via analogies, to gun control in CA which moves to Dem policies in blue states and a debate over the relation of the electoral college to national policies on social issues and more.  Even a "WHADDABOUT China?!" digression could be relevant. 

I hope that we DON'T come to a strict "stay on topic" policy, because that sort of thing can be weaponized just as easily personal attacks and WHADDABOUT CHINA. "This thread is about unlicensed handgun carry in Texas, Wes Mantooth. You are off topic raising questions of list policy!"

We ought to be able to negotiate rules and parameters among ourselves as we go along. 

For me, if a "derailment" results in an enlightening and useful discussion from which I learn a lot, then that derailment fulfilled my criteria for good political discussion. I don't want to see good discussion curtailed or blocked simply because it is no longer about Biden's stutter or whatever the original topic was. 

That said, I grant it is irritating and disruptive if someone jumps in, without any attempt to follow the discussion, and starts tossing out random whattabouts, or injects a grudge from a previous thread. I think the way to manage that is to ignore such interventions or respond in a way that brings the poster back into the discussion, if not the thread topic (which may in fact be deservedly dead).  Bels posted on the gun topic and wants to see how that plays out. He doesn't want to see the very first page go off in some other direction already.

(Apologies to Bels for continuing the digression. Can't always control myself when people start talking about list policy. Will keep future posts on topic Nervous)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Texas set to allow unlicensed handgun carry despite outcry - Dill - 05-28-2021, 04:23 PM