Drew Sample
Mike Thomas
Tyler Boyd
Auden Tate
Tee Higgins
AJ Green
Alex Erickson
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets)
(06-04-2021, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He's a good blocker. But what good teams nowadays don't deploy a TE who at least has decent pass catching ability?

13-3 Buffalo Bills

(06-04-2021, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: And before anyone says Sample was just used as a blocker so much, he had the 15th-most receiving snaps out of all TEs (433).

Those are just pass plays.  Many of which he was used mainly as a blocker.

There are no numbers or stats that show that Sample is really good, but there are also none that show he is really bad.  His stats seem to be based on how he was used in the system.  Just like a WR who does nothing but run deep routes will have a lower catch percentage or a RB who is only used in short yardage situations will have a lower average per carry Samples numbers reflect that he was used mostly as a blocker and just a check down receiver.  Some will claim it was because that is all he could do, but others can argue that our O-line was so weak it was necessary to use him more as a blocker.

But one thing we can all agree on.  When he was thrown the ball he caught it at a very high rate, and when he was called on to be a blocker he was very good at it.  I believe all the hate directed at him is based on him being a 2nd round pick.  If he had been taken later in the draft more people would just appreciate him for what he di to help the offense last year.

I have no problem with an upgrade at TE, but I don't think Moss or any other TE we have signed will bump Sample off the roster.  Uzomah will be our #1 and sample #2.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Don't cheat: Which Bengal had the highest catch% (receptions/targets) - fredtoast - 06-05-2021, 11:42 AM