Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-07-2021, 02:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Even if you believe that to be true, can we agree that using the events of WWII to create a parallel to the issues today is not only wrong but is in incredibly poor taste, especially on the anniversary of D-Day?

Depends on which issues. Connecting WWII, especially the causes, to the global political situation today, with the increasing turn to authoritarian governments (including the authoritarian turn in domestic U.S. politics) is not only appropriate but long overdue if the U.S. stands for liberal democracy and wants that to prevail at home and abroad. It seems a large mass of the U.S. public has lost its ability to recognize authoritarian politics, and it is creating a crisis in our democracy.

Labeling the U.S. forces landing at Normandy "ANTIFA," however, is worse than "poor taste" as it undermines the worthy project of identifying authoritarian politics, since it is bound to produce negative reaction in its audience, which would be people like yourself. 

Few people think of ANTIFA as especially pro-democratic, given their encouragement of spontaneous law-breaking.  The right commonly labels them  "Left-wing fascists." So to extend their label to the historical fight against anti-fascism creates a confusing side debate and generates anger against what I regard as a good cause.  

Imagine how well it would work if the Republican National Committee put out a D-Day remembrance video asserting that "Proud Boys" landed at Normandy to save Europe etc. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Dill - 06-07-2021, 07:37 PM