Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-08-2021, 12:56 PM)Dill Wrote: In your view, is Trump conservative? 

Roy Cohn was one of Trump's mentors, wasn't he? 

He worked with McCarthy AND Trump. And he is not famous for going where the money takes him, but for teaching his students how to deflect accusations by accusing potential accusers first--i.e., accuse THEM of what YOU are doing. (Could we find an example of Trump doing that?) 

The reason I used to Roy Cohn in an example of "going where the money is" is because his private life differed greatly from his public life.  On the surface level you might see him as a staunch conservative when in reality that is highly unlikley.

He also represented Steve Rubell, the owner of Studio 54.  It's been awhile since I've seen the documentary but I seem to recall some pictures being shown of Cohn hobnobbing with celebrities with glitter on his face.  Fwiw, Cohn was a gay man who was known to have numerous boyfriends, and who ultimately died of AIDS.

Now, I don't want to use his sexuality, or some of the people he associated with as definitive proof that he wasn't actually conservative.  But I do think it's safe to assume, especially given the time and some of the people he surrounded himself with, that he was a lot of different than some of his political affliations would lead you to believe.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Wes Mantooth - 06-08-2021, 01:38 PM