Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-08-2021, 04:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: To the former, I guess we'll find out in 2022 and 2024. I hope you're right that Trump is just a fringe part of the party. The house removing Cheney from power isn't a good sign of that though.

To the latter, sure. I won't pass judgment on every Trump supporter. People vote certain ways for various reasons. But the racists/fascists/Nazis/White supremacists are definitely getting their checklist with Trump, whether the people voting for him want that or not.

Trumpists are definitely NOT the fringe of the Republican Party. 

Look at how McConnel and McCarthy shifted gears when it was clear that the base was sticking with him, even after the 1/6 debacle. When Lynn Cheney bucked the party leadership by shooting off her mouth--i.e., sticking by the truth about Trump and his election lie--she was booted from her leadership position. The majority of Trump voters still believe the election was stolen from him. And that gives him great power to control Senate and House votes, if only to block them. 

The bolded is correct. Just as the "racists/fascists/Nazis/White supremacist's were definitely NOT getting their list checked by a Biden/Harris ticket.

Recognizing the aspects of Trump's behavior and policies which attract this kind of support =/=calling all Trump supporters white supremacists. But note that many of his supporters/defenders also deny that the aforementioned racist aspect of his polices and behavior is there at all. (Remember the thread on his Minnesota speech? People had difficulty seeing an racism in his denigration of African refugees in Minnesota and promise to stop their influx--followed by praise of the "good genes" of the states early (Scandinavian) settlers?)  Trump is also powerful attractor of people who deny race is still a problem in the U.S., people who often claim raising racial issues is itself the "real" racism. 

The problem with any kind of support for Trump now is not simply that he is racist, but that he is authoritarian and anti-democratic. Wherever he saw an opportunity, he scorned rule of law--obstructing justice, firing whistleblowers, extorting allies to get dirt on political opponents, working the DOJ to protect him from impeachment, coercing officials to change election results, working up a mob at the Capitol with the big lie the election had been stolen and it was of to Mike pence to fix that, then watching them storm the Capitol building on tv as frantic police looked for support and military authorities looked for authorization to help. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Dill - 06-08-2021, 05:17 PM