Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-08-2021, 06:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Now I'm a bit unclear what the contention is. Perhaps I missed a post. Has someone asserted that any grousing about a loss threatens democracy, or that that is the main charge against Trump? Remember, when people call Trump a threat to democracy they aren't just referring to verbal complaints, but obstruction of justice, attempts to coerce state officials to "fix" the vote counts and the like. 

I understand why Hillary might feel burned here. Personally, I think Comey's decision to announce he had re-opened the investigation into her server probably tanked her. And she is within her rights to complain about the disinformation, active Russian intervention and the like. 

But she did concede, right? and right away.  No one was removed from Dem party leadership for calling out her behavior, right? This one falls a bit short of apples to apples, unless I missed the point of contention.

I'm not sure if that was stated in this thread or not, but I've seen it said before.  People will specifically point to the election and what followed and say that Trump is a threat to democracy or he won't respect the integrity of a democratic election.

I will give her (Hilary) credit for her concession, at least the immediate words spoken.  This is what Trump should have done, this is what every politician should do:

“Donald Trump is going to be our president,” she said, speaking at the New Yorker hotel in Manhattan. “We owe him an open mind and a chance to lead.”

My issues with Hilary, and many in the Democratic party is what followed for next couple of years.  While I don't think hers and Trumps situations following defeat are apples to apples, I do think that plenty of people were questioning the legitimacy of the win and did everything they could to change the result.  So yeah, to now hear them complain about Trump questioning the same things, it rings a little hollow.

Abrams on the other hand, that's a much better comparison.  So if someone is up in arms about Trumps behavior following defeat I sure hope they were up in arms about hers.  Otherwise it's just more partisan bs.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Wes Mantooth - 06-08-2021, 07:08 PM