Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm at work so I'll try to get to the rest of your post here shortly. (I saw Dill's as well and will do the same) Perhaps I didn't do the best job in getting my point across, or perhaps we're just getting off track. 

My main point was that I don't think you can attach a group like this to a candidate or a recent platform.  While there may be some individuals in these groups that would vote over one candidate or another (lesser of two evils in their minds), I don't think their views (Antifa or Wolverine Watchman) sync up with either party.  These guys (Watchamn) are MAGA types as much as Antifa are Biden Bros (I just made this up to give a desciption).  They're each their own batshit crazy thing, that we should be very careful linking to a larger group.

I take your point in the bolded, or at least we ought to be careful to assign degrees of attachment/agreement/support/sympathy whatever.

Someone who thinks Trump is part of the enslaving system is not MAGA. 

But Michigan militias of various stripes do seem to come from a similar political reading of the U.S. as many MAGA supporters, share the same values, concerns, and enemies--i.e., "the left."  Nurtured in a right wing 2A culture which defines gun control as "tyranny," an underdeveloped conception of freedom and state control which RWM has now successfully linked to COVID preventative measures as well, we should not be surprised to find considerable ideological overlap between the WW and the violent Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol.

Better, I think, to analyze or study these groups in terms of what they take to be driving their political activity.  Both ANTIFA and garden variety liberals share an antipathy for Fascism and authoritarianism in general, in part because they desire a non-racist society, but they disagree as to where violent protest becomes necessary or acceptable. ANTIFA adherents insist that "fascism" has to be opposed directly, physically, when its representatives appear in the streets, and made to pay a cost for their efforts to create a movement.  The dangers of fascism are so great that violent means are countenanced by some ANTIFA, though generally not by garden-variety liberals, who think street violence is itself a tactic of fascism. For sure they don't incite riots chanting "Biden, Biden, Biden!" 

So for me the question is more about causes and influences. That's what we want to understand. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Dill - 06-10-2021, 01:58 PM