Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend
(06-13-2021, 05:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: She's not black.  She's Indian-American.

Fwiw, I consider accepting language like this to be more than simply a double-standard.  I don't think you'll find a single lecturer that has engaged in discussion like this about other races.  Remember, this isn't just speech that occurred in private.  This took place on a college campus.  It's not as if Yale had a speaker a few months ago that was giving talk with similar language about Muslims, or Blacks, or Asians.

I find it absolutely incredible that anyone could read that and feel the need to hear more to come to opinion.  The hoops some jump through to excuse some behavior is astonishing.  Meanwhile, they're more than happy to denounce others that 1/100 as offensive.  I suppose it all depends on which race or religion is being discussed.  There's a word for that you know. (Hint: It rhymes with "bassist")

Yes, I suspected so from the name. I discovered she marks her ethnicity as "Hindu."  Still, she is addressing racism as a person of color.

I don't think that reading carefully to better understand context is prima facie "jumping through hoops to excuse behavior."  I think rather it is something people should be trained to do in school--secondary and college.  This should not be cast as an either/or choice: condemn or excuse.

Also, reading carefully to better understand context does not mean one is accepting or eventually has to accept what is so understood. I do think that moral/ethical judgments have to be made, as well as judgments regarding competence and purpose, which can add up to legitimate reasons for for condemning a speaker and even not allowing a speaker to speak. 

And I'm puzzled that you don't think Yale professors, and those in their school of psychiatry, don't talk about "races" or institutional racism. I'm not sure whether one has shared a fantasy about killing whites, but they certainly do address white supremacy and its effect on Black professors, students and Americans in general.

By the way, how race is frequently leveraged into a "double standard" in defense of a non-existent racial equity is a discussion we could be having as well.  I think that began in the early '90s when a publication famous for opposing King's civil rights protests, the National Review, did an about face and embraced his hope that his children would be judged on the content of their character, not their race--all while continuing to oppose current civil rights activism.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kamala Harris: Enjoy The Long Weekend - Dill - 06-13-2021, 06:08 PM