Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-15-2021, 09:36 AM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.newsweek.com/montana-ballot-audit-shows-risks-mail-vote-fraud-opinion-1580705

I'd like to see an opinion piece from someone else on the topic from a differing view, or maybe a hard news piece on the situation. Better yet, a study done that shows us what the actual affect is on the voting outcomes bases on significance.

I would argue that 2020 is an anomaly, not a result of a trend. 2020 was a large election, with very high turnout, and much higher than usual mail-in and absentee voting that officials were scrambling to figure out. It was a pandemic. If we were to look at voting trends of any sort, let alone irregularities with absentee voting, we would have to eject 2020 from the modeling simply because of the circumstances with the pandemic. The only reason to include 2020 is to look at 2020 specifically and study the differences between it and a more "normal" year.

As to what other countries do, good for them. If we'd like to start comparing ourselves and our policies to other European countries I'd like us to also look at social welfare programs, universal healthcare, public transportation, etc., etc. I'd hate for us to also mention the idea of gun control. The ability to vote without undue burdens is because of our rights in this country. Putting barriers up to voting that cost anyone a dime of money should be shot down. Period.

Edit: I should expand on my last point. This is because we have a constitutional amendment prohibiting a poll tax, or, in other words, having to pay to vote. Other countries don't have this. We do. This is what makes us different.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Belsnickel - 06-15-2021, 10:23 AM