Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists)
(06-16-2021, 04:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How about this one?
"Poor kids are just as bright as white kids."
Or this one...
"You got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” (That’s in reference to President Obama.)
Or this one...
“Unlike the African-American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly diverse attitudes about different things.
Or this one...
“In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.”
Or this one...
"I don't want my children to grow up in a jungle, a racial jungle."  (On school intergration in the 1970's)
If you're a big fan of Joe Biden then that's fine.  I'm not going to sit here and pretend we can't find controversial quotes from any number of politicians.  But to pretend like he won the black vote because he's been some huge force in the civil rights movement is absurd.  He won the black vote because of his party.

Easy Wes, the "goal" here is not to "pretend we can't find controversial quotes from any number of politicians." The question I was addressing was Bengaloo's equivalence of Obama, Hillary and Biden with Trump. That isn't established by a list of Biden race gaffes. 

Also, the contention is not that Biden has been a "huge force" in civil rights, but that, as his voting record shows, he has been a reliable partner in the struggle.* (Bels post states that connection much better than I have.) Trump was definitely NOT going to be that hoped for reliable partner. Because Trump is not the same as all the rest. "His [Biden's] party" is not separate from its record, and its record, in part, is the record of Biden votes and policies and support for the first Black president. Had he, instead, helped Trump spread the birther lie, he'd have not had their overwhelming support regardless of party. 

And Hollo's post also makes a very important point. Whatever they think of Uncle Joe's "racism," the vast majority of U.S. Black voters do NOT see an equivalence between Obama, Hillary, and Biden, on the one hand, and Trump on the other. They are not somehow the same because Hillary once called a portion of Trump voters (e.g., the alt right and others who celebrate his incivility and scapegoating of minorities) "deplorables." Or Biden called Obama "articulate and clean." 

*Except for that anti-busing interlude in the '70s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Fight Against Fascists (I Can't Believe This Exists) - Dill - 06-17-2021, 01:45 PM