Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow's stats from last year...
(08-04-2021, 02:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe was 24th in average passer rating 89.8. This is right above Dalton. Guys ahead of him include Phillip Rivers, Kirk Cousins, and Baker Mayfield.

Joe was 21st in completion percentage.

Joe threw the ball a ton last year (40 times a game). This would have been second in the league behind the Steelers and he only had more than 300 yards passing 5 times.

This was my first time really looking at his stats from last year. I know his offensive line was dog shit and he was a rookie last year, but man I was expecting his numbers to be better than that.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I'm just lowering my expectations of what to expect from him this year after reading those stats, hearing about how he looks in camp so far, and especially early on coming back from injury.

What are your guys' thoughts on his numbers from last year?

Has a rookie QB ever started week 1 before without even taking a pre-season snap?
From that perspective what he did was unprecedented.

Of course there were rookies struggles and inconsistencies was expected. The expectation though was for these to be ironed out as he gained NFL experience through the season and for him to pad his stats when we faced the soft part of the schedule. Alas, injury intervened and we never got to see how many yards he'd have racked up against the Giants, Texans, Cowboys etc. I was also disappointed we didn't get to see how well he adjusted to seeing the Ravens and Steelers second time around. That his completion percentage shot up 15% when he faced Cleveland for a second time gives me cause for optimism.

Generally, I think the offense was starting to hum when he was injured. The first half v Indy, the second Cleveland game, beating Tennessee. That's three decent enough sides the Bengals were scoring on and racking up yards against. I know the Athletic guys keep referencing that the Bengals were 2nd in points per drive for his final month (think I have that stat right). You seemed surprised that his numbers were low which suggests that he passes the eye test. I don't expect the gap between 24th and, say, 12th is all that and would have closed had he played the entire year.

He'll probably start slowly coming off injury but the stats will come.

(08-11-2021, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Bengals fans in 2020 - Why would the media make the ridiculous argument that Burrow should be afraid to be drafted by the Bengals?
Bengals fans in 2021 - Here are a bunch of reasons why 2020 was a hopeless situation for Burrow....

It's a fair point but I would point out that at least some of those issues - no pre-season games, no rookie minicamp, lack of in person meetings, no/restricted crowds (although this would probably be considered an advantage), lack of throwing time with receivers outside of training camp - would be league wide issues rather than Bengal issues.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow's stats from last year... - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 08-13-2021, 11:48 AM